View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 12:21 PM   #21
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
While I get this train of thought, as a lot of manifolds are poor quality castings with very little quality /performance in mind: I'll challenge you to think a little bit more on the subject.

Your block, the heart of your car, is cast from the factory. (Yes I know aftermarkets have billet offerings). The bulk of your turbo is cast as well. But nobody bats an eye at this?

Castings are good enough for aerospace components, including, but not limited to gearboxes.

If we wanted to be nerds about it, we could take a name brand welded manifold and an artec manifold, and have them x-rayed and see what it looks like at the stress points (runners, and under the turbo flange) and compare.

I'm not saying that i'm certified in RT, i'm just saying, I can make this happen if I get two manifolds sent to me and people want to pay the shipping both ways.

Its not always a question of the manufacturing process or the material make up, sometimes we forget that X company said "this is good enough to put our name on and sell"

I'll be flat out, I worked for 7 years at an aluminum and magnesium foundry. Do I have a welded manifold? Yes I do (artec didn't have a KA manifold at the time) But i'll also tell you that my Xcessive intake manifold has shrink inside the plenum by where the cylinder 4 runner meets. Shrink is good enough for their Name / Product (that is no longer made)
This is a fair point. My point was, if I?m buying a manifold, one that throws heat retention to the wind (both tubular and this cast manifold do) i?d choose the tubular unit simply because it is easier to repair, should a manifold crack. Let me be clear, I do not believe this manifold will crack or a quality manifold such as, but not limited too, Full-Race, 6boost, Sinco, Doc-Race, etc, would either.

With that said, what foundry do you work at?