View Single Post
Old 02-09-2023, 04:26 PM   #23
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Just a newbie question, I assume if the cast is of good quality, would wall thickness of the base + density of the cast make it more resistant to cracking than a tubular steel manifold when going through 1000s of heat cycles?

I would assume steel like most metal loses integrity over time when heat cycled at the temperatures that an exhaust manifold reaches?
I would think that is strictly based on the stresses the manifold sees. Hanging a 15-20lb turbo off the side, plus the movement of the downpipe may play a larger role than one thinks in whether or not it fails. It would behoove the owner to support the turbo with a drain support system and add the necessary flex section to the exhaust piping.

Ultimately, anything can crack given enough stresses and heat cycles.