View Single Post
Old 02-04-2003, 01:24 PM   #9
LanceS13
AutoX Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
LanceS13 is making a name for him/her selfLanceS13 is making a name for him/her self
I think the 240 used to be in ES, and has since moved to GS. It was fairly competitive in ES 2 years ago, but cars are always getting reclassed so I don't even know what they're running against now.
STS is the best bang for the buck class in the SCCA. Preparation is fairly cheap as far as motorsports go and there's plenty of competition to push you to your limits. The well-driven, well-prepped 240 is a mid-packer in a tough crowd...front-runner in a small pond. Max tire/wheel width is 225/7.5", and they have to have a tread rating of 140 or better. Shocks/springs are pretty much unlimited and coilovers are allowed, and you can use PolyU bushings. I/H/E, accessory pulleys, and ecu upgrades are allowed engine-wise. Slotted/drilled rotors of same size are allowed and any pads you like. Any seats and steering wheel (as long as you don't have airbags) you want. If you want bigger brakes,245/8" tires and wheels, and a non-factory LSD, there's also STX.
DSP is the next step up. I'd say the 240 is a mid-packer at best. Wheels and tires are unlimited except for being DOT approved. Clutch/flywheel is free. You can't do anything appreciable to the internals. You can do a mild p&p. Bye, bye emissions stuff. A few other things you can do.
Next is SM. This is where the big boys play...pretty much anything goes as long as you keep it street legal. That doesn't neccessarily mean it has to pass emissions. Motors swaps of the same make are game (Infiniti/Nissan)...and you can do whatever you want to it after that. Suspension is pretty much unlimited. Body work may include fender flares to run gigantic wheel/tire setups (DOT approved). Hoods are unlimited. Drivetrain is unlimited...carbon fiber driveshafts included. Brakes are unlimited. Backseats can be removed. I can see a 240 being pretty competitive here...but it would take $$$.
LanceS13 is offline   Reply With Quote