View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 11:38 AM   #2976
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
You cant tape the weatherstripping back. Have you touched a quarter panel window before? The rubber is extremely thick and impossible to lift. In fact, installers need to be extra careful not to use techniques like piano wire because it will gouge / mar the rubber. Removal can be extremely tricky especially when the sealant is old and hard.
It was successfully done with my S14 painting 9 years ago. There were issues with paint and color, but weatherstrips job was flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
edit: and this is no S30 240Z. The modern S-chassis has way too much rubber and plastic and unless we have serious volume and connections with manufacturers, no one is going to produce these parts. Compared with the S30 Z, there are a lot less parts on that car and they are a lot simpler in construction.
You are correct, mass market manufacturers has been mostly discontinued spares for our cars, but I have a strong belief that technology is advancing and it's quite close to constructing, modelling and production of parts for cars in small batches, literally in garages. I know, 3d printing is full of hype and speculations, nevertheless a couple of examples:

Guy made these tail lights for Mercedes 300SL restoration by himself. He said that raw materials and labor was 8-10% of Ebay price

Homemade S13 turn blinker glass( quite rare, at least in Europe)

Also, I know that people successfully make fiberglass stock body panels, due to lack of metal ones in good condition.
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote