View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
any options to tighten up the shifter? i know the hks springs arent compatible or the cusco shifter collar. are their any similiar options for the 6mt shifter? also, i noticed you said the oem clutch should be upgraded once you go above 300whp, but just how durable is it? i know thats a relative question but from what i gather you're still using it so i was just wondering for how long and what kind of driving you were doing with it?
I'm still not certain on the options to tighten/shorten the shifter on the 6MT. I've seen a few modified/aftermarket shifters on the Upgarage website, but there wasn't enough info in the ads for me to bother buying one.

I may have jumbled my words but generally speaking, the 6MT is going to fail due to an impulse/jerk. So, getting a clutch kit with harsh engagement, such as a hyper single, is going to significantly increase the odds of shearing teeth. This transmission can handle at least 300WHP, but if you're not smooth with your clutch engagements, completely letting off the throttle at 7500RPMS in second gear, clutch kicking like its 2012, then you're 6MT is going to fail. On full deceleration, the weakest gears are 1st-3rd, which usually fail at high RPMs. (The engine is trying to slow down while the momentum continues to drive the car forward. Bother gears become drivers, and you end up with two opposing forces that meet at the teeth in the transmission.) Clutch kicking with this much horsepower and very sticky tires will shear some teeth. Using the hand brake and powering the car through a drift should be fine. It's possible to drift, but generally its not ideal for +300WHP.

On my track car, I use the Autech (Nismo/Exedy) flywheel and a Fidanza 3:2 Clutch Kit. Been using this setup since 2009 and still have yet to replace the clutch. On my daily, I use the OEM Dual-Mass flywheel and an unsprung clutch kit (currently an OEM Nissan kit). The flywheel and clutch kit were used when I bought the swap, but I've added another 5000 miles to it and still feels great.

I use my track car for road racing. Currently, the engine is only doing 200WHP. I've fooled around with a friend's S13 with 6MT (270WHP and about 250TQ) and drifted around a few corners. Transmission felt fine. I believe he is also using the OEM Dual-Mass flywheel and an unsprung clutch kit (unsure of brand).

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote