View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #123
91 240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
91 240 is on a distinguished road
Man, i have not updated this in a while

I have been able to make some progress just recently on the fabrication of new manifolds. Right now i only have the driver side in the works. I've changed the layout from one of my previous posts. Runners are fully welded, just need to do the collectors and then weld the runners to the head flange. FIrst big SS TIG project, so far so good.

while i continue to work on the new manifolds i need to address cooling issues i've been having.

I posted a fiberglass vented hood last year but had several modifications that needed to be done in order for it work.

with my previous setup, mainly the Taurus fan, i had to cut out my radiator core support and move the radiator forward 4+ inches. This time around, i wanted the support back in place so it didn't look so hacked. I welded in the replacement core support and worked on making new mounts for the radiator to tuck up under the support.

To do this, i started by making a alum shroud and used a Volvo 850 e-fan, pretty much the same motor as the Taurus fan but 3" thinner which allowed me to move it back towards the engine.

made some new mounts as well. lower mounts not pictured.

With the fan mounted, wanted to make some coolant hard pipes to get rid of cut up radiator hoses. silicon couplers and 1.75" aluminum tubing.

After that, i prepped the engine bay to paint the newly installed core support and welded a few bolt holes shut

Along with battling the high coolant temps, i was consistently having 250* oil temps, 40* over coolant temps just from daily driving. I decided to add an oil cooler setup and a new power steering cooler.

B&M 23 row super cooler 70273
Derale 180* oil thermostat
Derale powersteering cooler
Mishimoto oil cooler adapter for the Pontiac GTO oil pan (Improved Racing didn't have the GTO adapter available any longer)
assortment of Jegs -10an fittings and nylon braided line

mounted the thermostat on the fender well side of the driver frame rail. Plenty of wheel/tire clearance, plus will be protected when the fender liner goes back in.

then i fabbed up a bracket to mount the cooler. cut a piece of 1.5 x 1.5 x .125 aluminum angle. going to brace a little more though. Mounting it right below the driver headlight behind the lower vent below the turn signal on the 91-94 bumper.

I'm currently working on the lines right now, but need a few extra fittings and hope to have this buttoned up in the next couple weeks.

More to come!