View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
At last, depowered the rack.

While back I disconnected the PS system. I kept the pully/pump for a belt tensioner, but removed everything else and looped the lines. Wasnt too bad, but I was conserned about the steering linkeage getting too worn.

I was worried about the splines stripping on the linkeage, so my mission was to de-power the rack. I've only found 1 writeup on the web -a Miata.

After 2 days its done, some fine tuning and wow, night and day difference. I removed the rack and pinion;

Everything was a bitch to get off. Nissan made sure you needed proper tools for this. 1st problem was the torx bolts. I used an 8mm socket. After drilling out the punch and finally getting the rack taken apart, I was dripping in sweat and blood.

Got the pinion out, removed the center seal

Got some Amsoil grease, new Moog tie rods, and put her back together. I cut all the lines and crimped them because its not needed.

After install, there is a Tensioner type thing that holds the pinion steady, I had to loosen that a bit, but its spring activated so there is still some light tension.

Finally a PS/manual setup that semi rivals a FWD car. I love it.

Quote:
For all you guys who eliminated your power steering, this is a simple/cheap way to run a single belt for both your water pump and alternator.

parts needed:
SOHC Lower Alt bracket
SOHC Upper Alt bracket
SOHC water outlet (DOHC hits belt)
35" 3 rib belt

the water pump pulley and the outer most crank pulley are 3 rib but the alternator is 4 rib so you need to run it on the inner most set of ribs (as shown in the pics)

You'll need to use a spacer between the alternator and the upper alt. bracket. I used a exhaust manifold washer and it worked perfectly. you will also notice the belts will hit a certain spot on the upper alt bracket, but its nothing very minor grinding wont fix, you can see the spot on the 7th picture down.

The factory lower hose also lined up fine.

tested it to 8k+ rpm, with no issues.

Big thank you to my buddy Anthony (1991silvia), who is the one who figured out this setup.
http://flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic...teering+delete

Last edited by Bigsyke; 06-20-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links