Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #89
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy- View Post
Great build!
But, your welds are bipolar. Some good, some bad. You should do some test runs on scrap metal, and when they look like your stacking dimes, then you should go for it. Not hating, just advice.
Congrats on your baby!
No offense taken, I always enjoy critques and criticism. I completely agree with you on practicing. Should have done alot more. It didn't help that I started off using my neighbors harbor freight welder with flux core wire, that had only 4 settings for temperature. I also learned that I need to tell my wife that she can't do laundry while I'm welding, and lastly that I should not have used an extension chord that was smaller than the welders chord. All that combined just led to inescapable inconsistency. I probably have spent twice the amount of time grinding than I did welding. I would practice a few runs each day, and once I thought they looked decent enough, I had my go on the car,but my inexperience and the before mentioned hurdles just fought me, especially when changing between the thinner stock metal and the thicker material I added to it. It wasn't until I borrowed my buddies lincoln that I was able to lay down smoother beads which are the beads that look presentable.
On another note, camera is still broken so that sucks. I got most of the car put back together. Now it sounds like a subaru, so I need to find which cylinder has the problem. Had nasty fuel leak as well but got it fixed. And I got the kaaz installed, which was the first time I've been under the ass end of my car, so many spider webs, I swear. Only took me about 1.5 hours to get the old diff out and the new one in, so not bad overall for the first time swapping one ofe those out. Still need to put the hood, fenders and front bumper on and figure out how I'm going to secure them. And lastly, non of my cluster is working. My low fuel light is on but the tach doesn't work, temp gauge doesn't work, and as I haven't driven it around yet, I'll assmue the speedo won't be working either. So I'm kind of demotivated right now to even try to begin to solve these new problems. So, you could say I'm super butthurt right now.