View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #78
Stealthyfish
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Stealthyfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
Yeah constant (LED) light and strobes are two totally different worlds.

I used to use Alien Bees and Einstein’s but the whole set up is clunky, like you said. Plus the Cybersync is just plain awful compared to other triggers.

I personally use two set ups now depending on the shoot and the amount of moving that is involved. I’ll either go with Canon RT speedlights or Profoto.

The speedlights really are awesome. Being so compact and being able to place them anywhere is a huge benefit. Years ago there were just shit modifiers and gelling them to match ambient light or getting creative used to suck. But there are some greats modifiers out there now and Magmod is probably one of the best designed photography products on the market. There’s for sure not a more elegant gel solution. You can do a lot with just 2 or 3 speedlights. We’ve shot entire huge ad campaigns with just a few speedlights (or 8).

Profoto really are the best strobes on the market. You can get used heads on B&H to get you in the door too. First and foremost the speed ring is the best in the industry...by a lot. No other head has a easier to use speed ring. Period. Plus there’s every modifier under the sun and for pretty much every price range. I used 2 Pro 10 packs and 6 heads for the shoot I just did for Wahl. All the power in the world. I do actually prefer the B1 and B1Xs since it’s and all in one versus the B2s pack and head set up.

Elinchrom is another good set up but the speed rings aren’t as nice. Although their deep octo’s are nice af with a Profoto speed ring.

I could talk gear all day. Love it.
Ha, I could too. They're nice, it's just the inconvenience of strobe work that's a pain. The speedlight work seems to be a good way to go. I do work for myself and friends. When I show up on site, I do it without a permit so I prefer to run and gun rather than set up shop in case I'm kicked off. Setup time also increases probability of me being booted before I grab any images. The added challenge is definitely tricky for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
I wish I can get my hands on a 24-70 2.8!

Adobe_20170930_102950 by zeedakay, on Flickr
pfft.. go get one! I've gotten good enough at talking myself into buying things that I can no longer figure out whether it's bullshit or actual sound logic.

I talk myself into nice glass with the thought that I'll never lose money on good glass. It's a double edged sword how the lens market is. There's only a handful, if that even, number of options for us when we're shopping for good glass. The lack of competition and the slow lens design turnover makes for good value retention. Find good glass used and you'll almost never lose money on it if you're smart and buy at or below market value. I've had two 24-70 F2.8Gs and I ended up making a few dollars when I sold them each time. I had buyers in less than 3 weeks from listing too. It was essentially a free long term rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
I feel like im on the same page as Jo_Galezo. Most of my photographer buddies who do pretty good work but nothing "commercial" all have regular jobs. Me and my coworker work at Fedex Office, he has buddy who is an express driver. Guy who runs my meet works in some type of brand development or something. Great with web design and graphics and another buddy who I said earlier is doing his own studio soon.

I doubt I'd want to do this as a living in the future but who knows were you end up at the end of the day but my main focus right now is school. I busted my ass off the last three years to save and build my car so I want a break from my 9-5 in a sense.

My coworker when he wasn't as busy now with work would do mainly portrait and event photography. Was never paid hourly but like you said charge biased on the agree date/time along with extra stuff like equipment, make up and even number of outfit changes.

Im not unfamilar with how the industry work and the environment. Knew a lot that when I used to do music but unlike that im not sure where the right direction is to go from just hobby to getting paid for your work. There isnt much self promotion from what ive seen for music which you get promotion networks to show your music, free music on soundcloud and more promotion with collaborations with other artist.
I have a feeling it's like any sort of small business you run; feast or famine. It's hard to beat a 9-5 job, especially when the employer pays extra benefits and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs.06 View Post
Went a did some backcountry skiing with my buddy the other weekend and decided to bring the camera to try out something other than automotive photography. Let me know what you think!

I like these photos
Stealthyfish is offline   Reply With Quote