View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #10
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
I wouldn't say Square, Heritage, Kansei, Cosmis, or Stage are particularly innovative. Most of them are using ripped off designs, which I suppose isn't all that uncommon within the JDM wheel world, but still - not a way I'd want to make a name for myself...

Honestly, SSR seems to be the only company continually putting out cool new designs while everyone else is rehashing 30 year old designs to sell at a premium to nostalgic 90's a e s t h e t i c goobers (though they have been doing a bit of the reboot thing as well). Rays has just been coasting on the success of the te37 for 20 years lol

In my mind, reps cover the $300-$1000 price range, the real wheel resale market covers $1000-$2000, and BNIB real wheels cover $2000+. I think that 1-2k market is just super tough. When people see a used set of SP1's for the same price as a BNIB set of 57dr's and they'll take the SP1's all day. There's more perceived value in buying something that was originally over $2k than buying something new that's only $1600, which I figure has something to do with why many reputable brands don't really offer anything in that price range.
So, I am with you in essence - though I would argue that SSR has kind of abandoned the sizing as well. The Minerva doesn't come in a size under 19 anymore, some of their 17 / 18 sizing outside of the professor is weakish.

Plus, have any of their design's been as hot as their early 00 designs? Not really IMO, they kind of fell off or switched their focus to Euro styling. I do understand what you mean though, they have an extensive catalog for sure and try to stay cool.

The other point is that I don't think you really see good sized SP1 for 1k - 2k anymore. That's kind of why I started this thread. The rise of frivolous spending and youth determined to get e-famous off loans has caused the aftermarket / discontinued wheel market to SOAR. I mean, even people such as LZ have called it out. It's ludicrous, and really killing the scene IMO. Trying not to get off on a rant though, I agree in principle - that market use to be the sweet spot for real wheels. I bought my Kranze for $1200 4/5 years ago, 18x10 +15 square. Looked awesome on a stock body s14. Today, good luck with those under 2k. I sold those particular wheels for 1k, because I can't stand drift tax BS.

Stage, Kansei, Square I agree are really just copying other wheels. Heritage to some degree, but at least they are going after rare wheel and basically making new versions, but as I posted above ^^^ some of their stuff is pretty unique even if it isn't what I would prefer myself, I can still respect the art and attempt. Same with Cosmis. Not a huge fan, but a lot of their designs are at least reltively original. Certainly inspiration, but not immitation for the most part.

I feel the same with Ray's haha. Probably the most hyped (probably even overhyped) wheel of all time that has placed their name into the JDM record book for ever, haha.

I do want to mention another wheel brand I stumbled across. Not a fan at all, but I have always been perplexed why their wasn't VSKF reps being they were the fanboy allstar of 3 piece wheels for a decade before the 03 kind of stole it's thunder in desire in the last few years. Was surprised it took someone so long until StyleUP did it:

Around $800 for a set. These however, are straight up reps IMO. On top of that, I don't hate the look but there is something just a little off with them when I see pictures of cars with them. IDK what it is... something just doesn't sit right. I wish they would give different designs a shot, and less true replica and see if they could become a legit cool affordable wheel brand, but it seems like they were a one trick pony.