View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #118
cfinch
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
cfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond reputecfinch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitspeed View Post
I have a question for the pro's.

If I'm going to paint my car in my garage, should I just clean the garage really well or try and construct some sort of makeshift booth?

My garage is pretty large so cleaning it is gonna be a pain. But if that's all I'd have to do then, cool.

Any ideas on what I could make a booth out of that I would be able to put it up and down?

I have to do some body work. Just bondo to take care of the larger dents and stuff like that? I have a gallon of Marglass I bought a while ago. I never hear people talk about Marglass. But from my understanding it's a combo of bondo and fiberglass so it's supposed to be stronger/better. Any tips?
If your in a garage you can get large rolls of plastic and just tape it everywhere to enclose it... or Harbor Freight is amazing just wait till the right size tarp is on sale and thats super cheap. Also they have carports on sale all the time for about $150 and it's fully enclosed just stand it up... I recommend some kind of fan to draw air out of the enclosure but it's not a must. You will get alot of dirt and lint in the paint just make sure you have plenty of clear on there and take the time to sand/buff afterwards and it shouldn't be much issue. I sprayed all my cars in a booth but it wasn't made for cars and it was disgusting in there... I would have been better off spraying outside but I could make a huge mess in there and it didn't matter... In the end I was able to create factory quality paint jobs with a steady hand and some good finish work...

As far as filler goes try to keep it as thin as possible. If the dent is large then hammer it out from the inside then grind down the area and fill... Use a block and guide coating to get it where you want it to be. As for filler I never use bondo products... I don't know the name off the top of my head but I get my products from a body shop supply... It's like a teal color but I don't remember the name... As long as you go to a good auto paint supply store they are really helpful for pointing you in the right direction. My local store the guys are so awesome! They walked me through it and helped me pick out finishes and even took me outside to show me their cars that they painted and how different pearls would turn out and whatnot it was very educational. Much more so then the internet cause your seeing it in real life right before your eyes and those guys aren't afraid to give out knowledge like a bodyshop would be.