View Single Post
Old 04-13-2022, 01:30 AM   #159
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
I am vehemently against the trends and fads of the time, and that's probably why all of my cars have been OEM (not even +) for quite some time now. I think that generating traffic while compromising values will make that old Harvey Dent quote sting a little more.
For sure. My appreciation for 240s isn't everyone else's and it seems a bit off-putting for me to mandate it just because I happen to be in a position with some gravitas.

I'm the way way with regard to trends. I had a hypercolor shirt back in the day and that was the last time I ever gave a shit about what's new and cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
While I've never been a fan of the "missile"/"aint care" etc attitude of things, I feel that it's unfair to group that in with the heavy parting out that coexisted in the same era, roughly 2008-2014. It sucks to say, but that era of S-Chassis being at their cheapest made enjoying them its easiest (In a reasonable, constrictive way, hopefully). The plentiful partouts, while adverse in the longrun, gave us a pretty fucking sweet few years of ownership, and the scarcity of things was inevitable, albeit accelerated.

That being said, seeing partouts in 2022 of good condition chassis is mega disheartening. I find myself often disdaining the actions of OG owners exploiting the current day trends while being a previous attentdee of the glory days where I can guarantee they enjoyed their run-ins with the S-chassis the greatest.
I don't want to demonize the concept of parting a car out. It's an extremely utilitarian approach that stands to benefit a great number of people. My greatest issues are yours as well (I presume) - those done solely for profit and those done as a result of something that is fixable. The amount of cars I've seen cut up because of a fenderbender or relatively minor rust is sickening. Add those with title issues because owners were too lazy to get titles or not lose the ones they already had... argh. CrimsonRockett has probably owned more S-chassis than some dealerships ever sold, and he's parted a few of them out. He hates it every time and goes to great pains to salvage anything usable from the car so that as little as possible goes to waste and more cars can stay on the road.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote