View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
Bizzytony
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Bizzytony is on the path to ruinBizzytony is on the path to ruin
HOW TO S14 K's Triple DIN gauge Install

Ok since RDM write up was long deleted from FA, and I have just finished installing mine here is my write up with pics.
First off the stuff you’ll need
Triple Din Cluster
Wire nuts or connectors
Electrical tape
300zx oil pressure sensor
1/8 Thread copper coupler
1/8 Threaded plumbing or lamp nipple
Teflon plumbing Tape
Some spare wire 20-16 works nicely(in about 2 foot pieces)
Wire cutters and crimpers
Solder(if your hardcore, most connections wont need it)
The harness for the cluster
If you don’t have the actual harness there are two options

Option A
A spare wire harness from a Nissan cluster with a 4x4 configuration Like this

- -
- -
ox
- x
^ That’s the wire configuration you’ll need (- is wire, o is optional, x no wire)
Plug it into the gauge, and follow the directions for the harness(colors are off but wires the same way)

Option B(highly recommend going junkyard or anywhere to get the plug well worth it)
You’ll need some wire, I’d use 14 but that’s me. And a bunch of round end terminals.
Crimp the terminals on the wire. You are going to have to make 4 wires with terminals. Attach them to the following screw terminals.
GND-Ground(yellow)
OTM-Oil Pressure(black)
Turbo-no one got it to work but might as well do it now(purple)
IGN-Ignition(blue)
The colors correspond to the pic

Ok now to get started, these are the colors on the harness according to R240NA aka RDM
Black W/Silver Dots-Ground(GND)
Green-Ignition(IGN)
Black-Illumination Dimmer(Ill+)
Red/Blue-Illumination(ILL)
Yellow/Red- Oil Pressure(OTM)
Black/Pink-Boost(Boost)
Now with the harness this is a snap. Im assuming you have removed the a/c trim, radio trim, and radio. Your going to have to pull the cluster too.
First step is to ground the gauge.
With Harness- Grab the Black with Silver Dots wire and ground it.
With Custom Harness- Grab the second from the Top on the right(In mine its Red/White)
With NO harness- Grab The wire you screwed to the GND Screw(In mine Yellow)
Take the wire and ground it, wanting a perfect ground I took a self tapping metal screw and drilled it right into some of the metal frame.

Step 2 Getting Illumination
This is by far the hardest part without a harness, this made me undo hours of work and fab up a harness.
With Harness-Grab the Red/Blue and the Black wires
With custom harness- Grab the Top Left and Top Right wires(Mine were green w/purple dots and black)
With No harness- This is tricky you can either try to solder wire on the ends of the two top circuit wire or do it the easy way.
First get about two 1 foot lengths of the automotive wire(22 I think).
Strip off about that much

Fan it out till its only 1 strand thick and bend it at a right angle

The idea is to get it sandwiched under these two little copper connection points(show on cluster for size)

Place the tip of the wire in the hole for the light, place the light in, aligning the wire with the connector, and twist the light in.

Get one in the red circle, and one in the purple.

Step 3 wiring illumination
Grab either your Red/Blue(Reg Harness) your Top Left(Custom) or the wire in the red circle(No Harness). Now you need to splice it into any Red/Blue Wire. I used the wire in the defroster, for 2 reasons its near and I never use my defroster. If you like it more clean be my guest and run it to the cluster.
Now Grab your Black(Reg), or Top Right(custom) Or Wire in the purple circle(No Harness) wire and splice it into any Red/Yellow wire. I used the one in my hazard, just for ease, I also had a spare R/Y behind my deck I will try tapping.

The orange wire nut is my Green harness wire tap into R/Y, and the yellow is my harnesses black wire tapped into R/B.

Step 4 Ignition Signal
Now grab your Green(Reg), Bottom Left wire(custom), Or the wire you screwed to the IGN screw. Run it up through the dash(not that hard to find a hole) Now you want to splice it into the White/Red wire running into the harness(on a 95 its right where the screwdriver is pointing)

If you have a kouki cluster, just trace the tape from the Battery light to the W/R wire. Now splice in to it.

Step 5 Oil Pressure
The first thing you’ll need is a Oil Pressure sensor from a Z32
http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...tml?cPath=882&
Like that. Try going junkyard or asking a local z guy(got mine for $25)
Keep in mind I did this on a KA. You are going to have to remove the OEM oil pressure switch.

On the KA its to the lower right side of the filter. I assume its near there on the SR. The easiest way to remove it was to remove the oil filter, and use a big-ass 1 1/16inch wrench and untwist the whole thing. Now on the KA you will need to put a coupler on the Sensor, the using a threaded nipple thread it into the coupler and thread the other side in the block. you’ll need the coupler/nipple to extend the sensor about 1 inch to clear everything, too long and you’ll hit the alternator.

Remember to use Teflon tape on the threads. Now with the sensor in place of the OE unit crimp 2 female spade connectors on 2 wires, connect them to the prongs on the sensor, now ground one, and connect the other to the wire that was running to the OE unit its Yellow/Blue. Now back inside, locate the yellow/blue running to the cluster.

Run your Yellow/Red(reg), or your 2nd from the top left wire(custom), or the wire you screwed to OTM(no Harness). Take it to the cluster and cut the yellow/blue and connect it to the wire you ran. Don’t connect it to the cluster, it will just have a faint low oil light on all the time, which would suck.
Step 5 rejoice. Ok you're done. Nothing left to do but fire it up.

TROUBLESHOOTING
If it dosent work check all connections. You may have blown the cluster fuse like I did. If you have no cluster illumination, tail lamp fuse.
If you have nothing at all, recheck grounds.
If the oil pressure wont read, switch the ground and the wire at the sensor. Now if someone wants to figure out the boost, please feel free. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Bizzytony; 11-16-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Bizzytony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links