View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 01:14 PM   #9
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay, now it makes a lot more sense... I was trying to think of the most polite way to say: "Hey jacka$$, race rubber is for track use, street rubber is for streets. Yeah, race rubber deteriorates in cold, etc." Much easier now

The reason I brought up my car in the cold is b/c I don't think there is any way you can compare a performance tire's performance in January. If you meant at the end of the summer, then you might be overdriving the tires or they might just be overly worn.

Most people around here who run HPDEs on R compounds do it on RA1's, A032R's, or V700's. The RA1's and A032R's have similar wear, V700's get too many cycles entirely too soon. In either case, get them shaved to avoid chunking and you will see a decent life for HPDE use. With the RA1 and the V700, ultimate grip doesn't fall off as severly as w/ many other compounds - basically, you can drive a set that is overcycled w/ minimal dangers. I still don't think you'll see one set that will last a between summers - but if so, storage will keep them fresh. When I get the Miata (likely soon), I will be getting some shaved RA1's, even before it goes to spec. I might drive this whole season w/ a Miata w/o putting it to Spec just b/c I've got to take a few grown up steps like buy a place, get engaged, and think about marriage. As much as I hate to think like an adult, I really need to for the next two years

Oh yeah - personally, I would never run race rubber w/o a 4 point bar. I know you have classing issues, but I wouldn't feel right posting this w/o that dislcaimer.
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote