View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Why won't my car sit even!?!?!

Updated 6/2022. Removing my update response below so that this OP houses current info. All info is pertaining to the front wheels only.

It's an S13. Summer of 2016 I decided to put S14 FLCA's (with S13 ball joints) and GK tech's RCA brackets on. This was 2016 so these were the first edition of these RCA's, probably not relevant but whatever.

My car had the same coilovers on it before this install, and the car sat level and even. Ride height was a moderate drop on 15's. Maybe 3" down from stock.

So I installed the S14 LCA's and GKtech RCA kit, dropped the car back on the ground, and instantly saw everything was fucked. The passenger side was basically tucking, and had like 2 degrees more negative camber than the drivers side. Beforehand, my coils were adjusted to the same exact height and the car sat level, as any car should. After noticing, I had to adjust the passenger side up about 1.5 more inches (measured between locking collars) to have it sit level. I will also mention that it seemed like adjusting ride height was not nearly as effective on the passenger side, as I had to adjust it up so much just to get any type of height raise. As it sits now (2022), the passenger side has about 1.5-2" between height adjustment collar and preload collar. Driver's side is nearly touching (i.e. max low). Passenger side still sits marginally lower when the car is on the ground, and the car is not slammed by any means. I have 15mm of spacer on the driver side to make the track width appear even side to side. Passenger side still looks like it has a hair more track even after this.

Since then I have removed the GK Tech kit and S14 arms. Current setup is professionally extended 20mm S13 arms and DangDrifters knuckles. Changing of the LCA and removal of the GK Tech kit in exchange for new knuckles and LCA's did not change anything, and those were the only parts changed the day this issue appeared.

So last time I took the car to get aligned, toe, camber, and caster are somewhat acceptable. I drive the car like this at events regularly and it always drives well. Car is used only for drifting. Car drives straight. Drifts through the course fine. I just don't know why things go so weird after doing something as simple as LCA's and the GKtech kit (which are now both replaced).

I am very lost still and even though I still use and love this chassis heavily (I am probably a top 15 driver at my local drift events that regularly hold 70+ drivers, if that says anything about the car's effectiveness), the fact that this condition exists constantly eats away at the back of my mind.

My only guesses (grasping at straws here):
-Bent coilover (maybe let the jack down hard when the car was in the air? Don't remember this happening or if it would have this big an effect)
-Shifted front subframe? (Not gonna lie I've pulled apart S13's dozens of times but never pulled a front subframe. Is there any room for shifting in the subframe's mounting holes?
-The car was never crashed before this, so I can't imagine a shifted strut tower or something is in order. I feel I'd have to fuck up immensely for this to happen by working on the car/jacking it up/down.

I'll straight Paypal someone $50 if their suggestion ends up fixing this.

Last edited by Thursday7; 07-07-2022 at 07:54 AM..
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links