View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Midnight Shift
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Midnight Shift is an unknown quantity at this point
Regarding the fees, etc... I don't know if there are any special exemptions for military, as I am not in the armed forces...However, this is what you're looking at...

If you have a white (license) plate car (anything from 660cc's and up)
You'll have to pay taxes on your car every year. the bill will come in May and you'll probably have to pay it by June. You're are taxed on your engine size; if you have an economic car or not; and if your car is old there is an increase in taxes after (15 maybe?) years. So, I pay 42,000 yen ($523) a year in taxes alone, just because I own a car.

Then you have shaken which is your compulsory car inspection that your car must have every 2 years. The shaken certificate they issue serves as your registration, ownership, etc. If you do the shaken process yourself, like I do, it can save you a lot of money. I paid 53,000 yen ($662) for my girlfriend's Nissan Bluebird. If you have a company or dealer do this for you, then I've seen prices start at around 90,000 yen ($1,124) and up. I've never heard of shaken costing more than 200,000 yen ($2,494,) cause at that point, people just buy a new car. The expensive costs associated with shaken come from dealerships charging you for a bunch of servicing on your car which you may or may not need. However, this is why many people's cars are in very good condition...cause they blow a ton of money in their cars for maintenance.

As for insurance, I use the JA (Japan Agriculture) or also said "nougyou" and pay 4,600 yen ($57) a month for liability insurance. You technically don't need this, because basic insurance is included in your shaken costs, but if you hit or kill someone, they usually don't pay shit. So you'll definitely want this secondary insurance!!! I was paying full coverage for my Toyota Altezza I had a few years back, and it was 20,000 ($249) a month!!! Way too much...

I'm not sure of all the fees/costs for a yellow (license) plate car (under 660cc's,) but the yearly tax on them is only 8,400 yen ($104) a year! Cheap as chips! shaken costs on them are significantly lowered as well.

So, in summary, costs:
1. A car/acquisition tax ...(your budget is the limit)
2. Pay yearly tax on your car (8,400 yen and up)
3. shaken car inspection (40,000 and up)

Last edited by Midnight Shift; 10-25-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Midnight Shift is offline   Reply With Quote