View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #33
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Is there some mechanical grip reasoning that makes you feel this way? Or an aesthetic one?
its a simple concept of understanding the reason behind the wheel size

wheel size is dictated by two things:
1) size of tire needed for sufficient traction
2) rotor/caliper clearance

with #1, you need to research what width tire sizes are available in that diameter and see if they're sufficient in clearing the body

with #2, you need to fit the maximum size brake you can fit (to a reasonable limit) that will be sufficient for the power output and car's use

so for you bullshitters with Z32 brakes, its pretty obvious that a 16" is totally sufficient

i went with r33 gtr brakes, and therefor 17" is needed.

i can only imagine a car like the ben sopra s13 needing 18" (or larger) in order to fit a serious brake system.

in the end, there is no benefit to running a 18" wheel when you can run up to 275 (or possibly larger) in 17" diameters.. you gain nothing.

every time i see people running big diameter wheels they ALWAYS cheap out on the compound tire. if you're going to show off your wheels, you might as well show off your tires..... especially when thats responsible for your acceleration, handling and braking.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote