View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #97
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
Congrats on the progress, I hope you eventually write up that power steering how to. I'm torn on doing something like this on the future or just converting to an electric pump.

Curious to see what was done with the rack itself as well, was it filled with fluid and just looped? etc.
For the rack all I did was disconnect the factory hoses from the pump and reservoir and loop them so the fluid can move side to side. I've put about 12-1500 miles on the setup now and really enjoy it, honestly I don't even think about the electric conversion at this point. The only slight drawback to the way I did it is the column has a little bit of slop in it because of the addition of an extra joint between the two 2 bolt mounting points from the column to the body. You really only notice it when maneuvering at low speeds when using more steering angle the wheel will sort of move up and down just slightly. I will eventually add some more bracing to hopefully counteract this. Tilt still works great and it's nice and responsive on the road as well. I have also done this on the 2jz 280z I'm building (with manual rack) and it's great.

I don't really have enough photos to put together a real how to but I will post some of the process in the next post and I can answer any questions anyone has too.