View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
91 240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
91 240 is on a distinguished road
A few months ago i dropped my motor off at a machine shop to bore/hone the block .030 over, polish the crank, balance rotating assembly, deck block and heads, and do a 3 angle valve job. I picked everything up a couple weeks later with the plan to start building right away, but that didn't happen as i wanted to be sure everything was good to go. I bought a micrometer set and a dial bore gauge to blueprint the motor and get the correct bearings needed. It took me a while to find a place that had the needed 0.001" undersized bearings (both rods and mains) in stock. Finally got those in and the fun began.

Wiseco 4.030 pistons and Compstar H beam rods

Installing the last rod/piston combo

Installing BruteSpeed's Blower Cam.

New LS2 Timing set

I dont have any pics of the top end going together.

Since my last update I’ve finished assembling the motor, I’ve installed an ACT 6 puck clutch kit, new slave cylinder/lines and mated the T56. Before putting the motor and trans back in the car for the final time, I wanted to take time and clean up the engine. This started as a simple cleaning project that turned into stitch welding, shaving and re-painting the bay. All the time spent welding and grinding and adding body filler was brutal, way more than I had expected. Hopefully it will pay off in the long run. I don’t have any pics of the shaving process, but here are some pics of the first few coats of primer (iphone pics, sorry)

2 coats of Epoxy primer

Here it is after 2 coats of high build primer/surfacer

This weekend I’m hoping to get another coat or 2 of primer/surface laid down and block sand to get ready for the base coat.

I’ve been brainstorming on how to make my car different visually to help separate it from other 240’s and make it different. I’m not a fan of body kits or big wings. I’ve been intrigued with the hood scoops from the Toyota Tacoma, 4runner, and Rav4 and thought that might a way to spruce up the looks. I came across a hood from an early 90’s Toyota Celica GT All Trac locally on Craigslist for $75 so I jumped on it. This scoop is functional and could help with under hood temps, whereas the Tacoma/4runner/Rav4 are non-functional. I’m planning to cut the scoop out and weld it in to my stock hood. The lines and shape are very similar so hopefully after body filler it will all look good.

the only other thing I’ve been able to do has been to get a new set of wheels/tires. Nothing special, but they are Mustang replica FR500 in a matte black finish (17x9 and 17x10.5) with Sumitomo HTRZ3’s 245/40 and 275/40.

Hopefully I’ll have more updates in the next few weeks.