View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #90
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mcknz View Post
Looks like a clean build. Why did you install two different types of wheels?
The wheels for this car are in a million pieces waiting for paint/polish/new hardware, just running what I have around with tires for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
For a dyno session while the car is still undergoing prep, does it matter??

lol!

Great build dude. Keep it up!
Honestly I kinda expected failure when it went to the dyno. I'm just happy I have a useable map I can run once the engine is sorted.

I didn't had the printout from the dyno the other day, but here it is. Not sure what to make of it tbh. Still have no idea what turbo is on the car, CHRA part number doesn't match anything I can find online. Wish the boost graph was on there, but it made 8psi pretty early and held strong to redline without any creep. I think this turbo and the DE cams will be very nice once its in the 14-18psi range.

If you find an engine abandoned in a storage container with oil filter on it, its probably not the deal you were looking for. The cam wear I found when I pulled the valve cover off originally didn't inspire confidence with this long block, but I decided to take the risk and dress/drop the engine in. With fresh VR1 and good oil pressure it sounded very happy, I was pretty confident that the bottom end was in okay condition. Well lets say I should have taken the time to dig a bit deeper because shes done for. Dropped the oil and its painfully obvious there is bearing failure. Going to need a full tear down, clean out and rebuild.

I was happy to see the drain plug didn't pickup much magnetic material, hopefully this means the crank is going to be okay.

Now I am at the cross road of building this bottom end and I'm really having a hard time figuring out how I want to do it. I know my thread title says "Keep it simple", but I have a hard time doing that when I have a choice.

- Easy and cheap way is OEM+ type rebuild, clean it all up, fresh OEM main/rod bolts, OEM bearings, OEM pump and re-use rod/pistons. Car made great vacuum, decent power at 8psi and had no blow-by or oil consumption so running the original pistons and rings shouldn't be an issue. This does severely limit power potential though, our piss 91 pump gas is going to stop me around 300whp and still probably be pushing the limits of what the stock pistons can handle.

- Forged internals brings a lot of extra cost and labor to the assembly, but will give me the room to make more power and be able to use it as I grow with the car. Really leaning toward building it simply because I don't want to put the work into a stock rebuild just to end up limited if I want more.

Opinions? Thoughts?