Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
gear-dependent shift light

I keep revisiting this issue. There is currently no off the shelf part that can do this. I keep having to resort to a custom unit. Any suggestion?

I need a programmable shift light based on gear position.

If you don't understand why you need different shift points in each gear, it's necessary to optimize acceleration without adjusting gear ratio too much.

Also if you roadrace a lot, there are certain corners where you need to hold the gear a little longer instead of shifting up for a moment and then shifting back down.

I built my motor with 1,000 RPM of overrev for this specific reason. It will rev safely above the point where it stops making good torque, but it's still better to hold the gear than to waste time and shift up.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
I keep revisiting this issue. There is currently no off the shelf part that can do this. I keep having to resort to a custom unit. Any suggestion?

I need a programmable shift light based on gear position.

If you don't understand why you need different shift points in each gear, it's necessary to optimize acceleration without adjusting gear ratio too much.

Also if you roadrace a lot, there are certain corners where you need to hold the gear a little longer instead of shifting up for a moment and then shifting back down.

I built my motor with 1,000 RPM of overrev for this specific reason. It will rev safely above the point where it stops making good torque, but it's still better to hold the gear than to waste time and shift up.
I know aftermarket ECU's can monitor selected gears if the unit is equipped for it, then you can set the shift light per gear engaged. It is not necessary per gear though.

Use your shift light as a warning, not a list minute notification, this way you know you are in teh shifting range and can wind the egar out depending on sound for a little while. If you are tuned into the pitch of your engine you will know exactly when to shift or when its safe to hold an rpm to avoid an unnecessary shift.

I do this exact technique on track at 2 corners where shifting would occupy too much time and energy prior to a corner.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote