Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
s14 zenki ka24de will start and die after 10 seconds or if the gas pedal is pressed

i recently acquired a s14 zenki with a stock KA24de in it, only "mods" to it is the previous owner put a cone filter and exhaust on it, since i got it ive had to lightly hold the gas when i started it or it would stall out but it was no big deal as soon as it was started and moving it would idle and run fine after that, but today when i tried leaving the bank it would start, run for about 10 seconds and slowly idle down from 7-800 or so until it stalled out, i checked all fuses and they were all good and i can hear the fuel pump kick on and hear the fuel getting to the rail/injectors, i also checked all wiring connections and they were all good. i didnt have any tools with me so i couldnt check anything further than that.

any idea what it could be other than a fuel pump or fuel filter? maybe the MAF or TPS? crank sensor?

i plan on going back later tonight with some tools and a recharged battery (killed it trying to start it) and just trying to get some ideas of what to check before i go back
Old 08-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
iBaSiiCk

Trader Rating: (1)
iBaSiiCk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check and see if the hose to the IACV is connected. If it is connected, the IACV might just be really dirty so just remove it and clean it up good with some carb cleaner. Then put it back on. If that doesn't help any then it will most likely need to be replaced.
iBaSiiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBaSiiCk View Post
check and see if the hose to the IACV is connected. If it is connected, the IACV might just be really dirty so just remove it and clean it up good with some carb cleaner. Then put it back on. If that doesn't help any then it will most likely need to be replaced.
before making the thread i waited about an hour or so in case it was just flooded and it still didnt start and then when i went back 3-4hrs later to tow it home i tried starting it just in case and it fired right up and now its fine, turns out it was just flooded

id still like to know why i have to hold the gas when i start it though if anybody can help me out with that
Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
djnicky240

Trader Rating: (1)
djnicky240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to djnicky240
Possibly a good tune up. Replace them Spark Plugs and go with NGK
djnicky240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
its possible you have a leaking fuel injector, or perhaps a bad fpr, that is not allowing the fuel rail to maintain adequate fuel pressure.

i would test fuel pressure first, then pull the rail and inspect for a leaking injector or bad o-ring. then report back.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
crossway

Trader Rating: (0)
crossway is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Seems to me its a faulty fuel regulator. Check the fuel pressure it produce just to be sure. Also check the filter and the pump.
crossway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

how would i check the fuel pressure? and what should it be at?

car is still acting up like this, if i shut it off and try to start it up within 5-10 minutes it does this everytime, if i wait longer in between starts its fine
Old 08-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
MAGILLA
Zilvia Member

MAGILLA will become famous soon enoughMAGILLA will become famous soon enoughMAGILLA will become famous soon enoughMAGILLA will become famous soon enoughMAGILLA will become famous soon enough
Change your fuel filter before anything. They clog and do almost exactly what you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #9
turboboxer6spd

turboboxer6spd is an unknown quantity at this point
I just experienced a similar issue on my Nissan truck with a KA.

The FPR diaphragm was blown and it was sucking in fuel through the vacuum hose. Made for a crappy idle and hard restarts.

You could also pull your fuel rail and see if you have injectors leaking. Leaking injectors could be dirty, mechanical issue or electrical issue.

Usually on a flooded engine you can open the throttle plate all the way to "clear" the engine by adding more oxygen to all that fuel. After all there really isn't a gas pedal. It's an air pedal
turboboxer6spd is offline   Reply With Quote