Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
M4J0R T0M
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
M4J0R T0M is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Unusual seat question, help needed.

I have a 90' S13 with stock seats. I need more leg room, I'm 6'5" and my knees are in the steering wheel. Are there any mods that you guys know of that will give me more leg room? Would upgrading to aftermarket seats help? If so which brand and model offer the most improvement in legroom?

Before everybody starts flaming, I searched and searched and couldn't find anything.
M4J0R T0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
miravete
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (44)
miravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
i have an s14, and im 6'1 and im pretty comfortable....

hmm, s14's must be bigger...

well, in your case, if you can weld or know someone that can, you could make some seat rails

know what i mean?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
heavenboundkevin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
heavenboundkevin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
im 6'2" with a s13 coupe and my leg room is more than fine, if my seat is all the way back my legs are pretty stretched. Are you sure your seat can slide all the way back? maybe its caught on something? seriously, your legs cant be that much longer than mine so i cant imagine how you are having this problem/
heavenboundkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
T-FAST
Leaky Injector

T-FAST is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm 6'4" so I have always had to wear my cars lol. What I did to get some more room is do a little diy by taking of the seat covers and taking a electric carver/knife to the foam. You lose a little bit of comfort but this is my project car so no biggie. In total I gained about 1" of head room and probably about 1/2" of legroom, I should probably go back and take some more foam off the back rest to gain a little more legroom. The nice thing is that you take foam off the middle part of the seat and keep the bolsters as is and it makes the seats feel like a racing seat
T-FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
M4J0R T0M
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by miravete View Post
i have an s14, and im 6'1 and im pretty comfortable....

hmm, s14's must be bigger...

well, in your case, if you can weld or know someone that can, you could make some seat rails

know what i mean?
Thanks for replies.

I've never driven an S14 so I don't what kind of a difference there is. I don't have any welding skills and my one friend that did have a welder just moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenboundkevin View Post
im 6'2" with a s13 coupe and my leg room is more than fine, if my seat is all the way back my legs are pretty stretched. Are you sure your seat can slide all the way back? maybe its caught on something? seriously, your legs cant be that much longer than mine so i cant imagine how you are having this problem/
I am assuming my seat is back all the way, it's touching the back seat bottom when all the way back. I don't how long your legs are but I can assure you I have legroom issues. You said you were 6'2", that's three inches shorter than me, that's definitely enough legroom lost to make a difference. My legs dont stretch out at all, they are bent at 120* angle with my right knee between the ebrake and steering wheel, and my left knee between the steering wheel and door panel. Idk, maybe I just have longer legs.

Nevertheless, do any of you guys have info on what I could do to increase my legroom?

I had a similar issue with my Cobra, not enough travel and the seats were to high. It was solved by adding Corbeau seats and rails. I'm not opposed to getting an aftermarket seat, I just want to make sure it will help before I spend the money.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
tommytwo40hands
Leaky Injector

tommytwo40hands is an unknown quantity at this point
yes i'd say getting the right seat will give you a little more room, how much idk you'd have to test fit...or you could adjust your comfort level, maybe shave down your knees with a grinder and/or quit your bitching! You knew your big ass was too big for a sport compact when you bought it.
tommytwo40hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
stunnaben
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
stunnaben is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm 6'8" and I wear my cars as well... never heard anyone say it that way. I'm prob one of the tallest people on this forum. Stock seats in an s14 fit me perfectly. E-brake is hard to engage but I think a JDM center console and e-brake setup would solve that for me. Best bet is to cut the supports out of the floor, fab new supports so you can move your seats physically further back. I'm used to it so I deal with it.
stunnaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
T-FAST
Leaky Injector

T-FAST is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow 6'8", and I thought I had it bad. Yeah you just get used to it. I can't wait till I get racing seats
T-FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Spacing out the steering wheel helps a lot too for legroom.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
slideslidegnarslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
slideslidegnarslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
yeah get a quick release and a deep dish wheel that should pull the wheel farther out and away from your knees? some one correct me if im wrong
slideslidegnarslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Search my posts for the ultimate seat fitment thread.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
M4J0R T0M
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytwo40hands View Post
yes i'd say getting the right seat will give you a little more room, how much idk you'd have to test fit...or you could adjust your comfort level, maybe shave down your knees with a grinder and/or quit your bitching! You knew your big ass was too big for a sport compact when you bought it.
Nobody is bitching, just asking for advice. If you have a problem with that you are welcome to GTFO.

Thanks everybody else for the replies. I don't think I want to get into a whole bunch of fabrication and stuff just to gain an inch or so. It's not really a huge deal right now. I've been this tall since I was 17 so I'm pretty much used to cramped driving conditions. My main concern is when I go to do the 5spd swap and have to start using my left leg. My feet are size 15 and this contributes to the weird angle of my legs.

Eventually when this thing goes from DD status to drifter, I'll have to figure something out so I can use my ebrake.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
M4J0R T0M
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
Search my posts for the ultimate seat fitment thread.
Thx, I saw your thread and it was helpful. But it seemed like you concentrated more on headroom than legroom.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4J0R T0M View Post
Thx, I saw your thread and it was helpful. But it seemed like you concentrated more on headroom than legroom.
For you I would say you can try Bride side mounts on a bucket seat.

Mount the seat as low as possible so your thigh and knees have as much clearance between the front of the seat and the steering wheel.

If you're still having issues then you can do what I did with the cut/weld or sledge hammer the cat hump straight. Then bolt the seat directly to the floor as low and as far back towards the back seat as much as possible.

That should give you enough leg room to clear the steering wheel.

Just make sure you don't recline the seat too much when you bolt the seat to the rails. You want the front of the seat to be as horizontal as possible to give you legroom for the girth of you thighs.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote