Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #1
wsmiteh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
wsmiteh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s14 KA24DET custom topmount, wont run.

Hey guys, not sure if I have ever introduced myself, but my name is Will, and I "drive" a 97 Kouki S14, with a custom topmount Ka-T. Setup is your pretty standard 255, 550cc's, Rs-Enthalpy Tune, z32 maf, etc.
Tried to start it the day before yesterday, and managed to get it fired up. Initially, had some bad vac leaks, and the wastegate stuck open, both of which I chased around and fixed, and car would idle properly, albeit pretty rich, but not rev well. Back at it again yesterday, car would start up, and more of the same. Changed the plugs, and ball-parked the timing off a friends ka (as I don't have a timing gun... was planning on borrowing a friends today), and had it at a point where it would idle well, and rev (relatively) smoothly to 5-6k rpm but with a misfire, and would drop low, and stall, on the way down from high rev's (wouldn't "catch" itself). At that point afr's under wot were around 12-13. From there, changed/gapped the plugs again, and tried to rewire the maf thinking it could be a bad connection or something. Car then idled like shit, and went back to not revving above 2200 rpm. Rewired the maf AGAIN, and it then would idle properly, but still wouldn't rev, over 2500 or so. Went to start it up again after checking the timing (but not touching or changing anything at all) and the car will not start. There is no spark at the plugs now, checked a brand new plug, still no spark. Swapped wires, still no spark. Anyways, I'm pretty stumped, and at wits end, if anyone has some insight into what the issue is please let me know! Comment with any questions about this shitbox and I'll try and explain all best I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11667004_10155920334875105_861553135_n.jpg (79.3 KB, 43 views)
wsmiteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
w0nderbr3ad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
w0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to allw0nderbr3ad is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to w0nderbr3ad
I think your maf should be further away from the turbo and wouldn't hurt to spray it with some maf cleaner.
w0nderbr3ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
wsmiteh
Leaky Injector

Yea I was told that on another forum I posted on as well. Going to grab some piping and couplers this afternoon. The maf is brand new out of the box though so shouldn't need to be cleaned.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
...brand new maf.

What brand? If it's ISIS throw it in the trash. I washed two of my rings away and had to build a new motor after an ISIS MAF made my car run extra rich.

You're better off with a used maf than an ISIS maf.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
9d6silvia

Trader Rating: (0)
9d6silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I posted a thread on the same issue with the car not catching decel idle. think you could check it out?
9d6silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
wsmiteh
Leaky Injector

Yea for sure, I ended up swapping to a standalone and map and it solved all of my problems. Best decision I ever made lol. Coilpacks conversion is going on now and its so easy.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
9d6silvia

Trader Rating: (0)
9d6silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmiteh View Post
Yea for sure, I ended up swapping to a standalone and map and it solved all of my problems. Best decision I ever made lol. Coilpacks conversion is going on now and its so easy.
Is there a thread on a map swap and stand alone like aem fuel management ?
9d6silvia is offline   Reply With Quote