Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
screaming6
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
screaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
car dies, cycle ignition, its ok??

I drive like 3 hrs to in my 93 ka s13 everything is perfect.

on the way back (with gas) on the highway the car starts to lose speed/rpm slowly and will not accelerate. Until it coasts and completly dies. Try and start it back up and drives for like 5 minutes perfect and dies again..turn it on and its fine drives 5 minutes then dies..etc. Etc.

I can now (while I feel it dying at any speed) ;shut the ignition off for like 2 seconds and back on and keep driving and keep doing that continuosly....wtf!!!

my completely random assumption is fuel pump primes...sends fuel...then loses signal causing car to die so when I shut off ignition and back on it gets more fuel allowing car to drive for a bit again until it stops sending fuel....yay or nay.

has a 3 month old distributor plugs and wires if it makes a difference
screaming6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
screaming6
Zilvia Member

screaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choicesscreaming6 has made poor choices
anyone out there?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Fuel pump, fuel filters.

I would also start looking for electrical shorts, especially to the fuel pump

Good luck
Ch

Sent from my DROID RAZR
heychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
cmg
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
cmg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard wire the fuel pump or check fuel pressure while driving. Also can you get it to shut off at idle and not driving? That would make your diagnosis a lot easier from home.
cmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
screaming6
Zilvia Member

Angry

back with the same problem

I rarely drive the car;

anyways I changed the fuel pump for a walbro and it drive beautifully for a few days . Starting about a week ago it runs fine for about 10 minutes and then the bogging until I cycle ignition then runs fine...for 3-4 minutes...then starts bogging..cycle ignition..runs 3-4 minutes...etc etc over and over.

new fuel pump and fuel filter

I soldered and bypassed the harness that goes to the fuel sending unit in the trunk
my closest guess..ecu is sending a bad signal then resets when I cycle ignition????
or
possibly the fuel sending unit has bad connectors inside?.? Bu

how could I hard wire the fuel pump to either isolate the problem...ecu vs. Sending unit?
12 volts and ground? Is that it or does the power fluctuate to determine how much fuel to send

how to test wire coming out of ecu to fuel pump???

oh yea everytime it starts bogging the fuel pump gets pretty loud..so I'm pretty sure its fuel related.

sorry for all the questions...
Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
screaming6
Zilvia Member

has this problem stumped Zilvia? Damn...