Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
jhpark5
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
jhpark5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issues with my KA!! EGR? Exhaust? help...

Hey guys,

First off, I have a ka24de, AT tranny in my S13 coupe. I recently swapped in some megan headers along with downpipe and cat but in the process, had to cut off the EGR piping leading to the stock exhaust mani along with the...egr box? Also, I managed to bend the flange on my stock exhaust as I was attaching it to the new setup so now I have an exhaust leak. Here's the problem:

My car is randomly stalling whenever I'm stopped and give it gas. OR if the engine is warm, and I try to start up the car, it will ignite then just die on me, after which i'll have to pump the gas for a while to get it going again. Also, when the engine is warmed and I start the car, in order to make sure it doesn't do this ^, I have to rev the engine for a bit and it sounds and smells like it's just spitting/dumping fuel.

SO: Is this a problem with the exhaust leak I have? Or is it the EGR and the fact that I have not put a block plate on it or plugged it back into the exhaust mani? Or, am I just completely stupid and should stop trying to work on my engine alone...

Last edited by jhpark5; 08-27-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Want more specific title
jhpark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
jhpark5
Leaky Injector

anybody out there...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
If yo have a major exhaust leak it will definitely mess with your light off throttle and dying scenario.

Make sure there are no major exhaust leaks and that your EGR system is all capped off and there is no open vacuum slots either
Old 08-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
jhpark5
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post
If yo have a major exhaust leak it will definitely mess with your light off throttle and dying scenario.

Make sure there are no major exhaust leaks and that your EGR system is all capped off and there is no open vacuum slots either
Oh, so I don't actually have to plug the EGR back into my exhaust mani? I guess I'll be getting the hammer and torch out to straighten out the bent flange on my exhaust. Thanks.

BTW, would it matter if I just plugged the EGR pipe or would you recommend getting a stop/blockoff plate? Or does it not make a difference?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
mattsil80wis
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
mattsil80wis is making a name for him/her selfmattsil80wis is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpark5 View Post
Oh, so I don't actually have to plug the EGR back into my exhaust mani? I guess I'll be getting the hammer and torch out to straighten out the bent flange on my exhaust. Thanks.

BTW, would it matter if I just plugged the EGR pipe or would you recommend getting a stop/blockoff plate? Or does it not make a difference?
as long as its not leaking im sure it wont be a problem either way...think about it...either its blocked off right away or goes into the pipe a little and is blocked off
mattsil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
jhpark5
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsil80wis View Post
as long as its not leaking im sure it wont be a problem either way...think about it...either its blocked off right away or goes into the pipe a little and is blocked off
Cool. Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll let you guys know how everything goes. Thanks.