Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Best Front tires for track

I've been looking for some tires for the front of my car (I will be doing HPDE's and drift events). I drive to the track so I need something that won't kill me if it rains and has a decent treadwear. What do you guys use? Prices? I'm looking for 18's

Considering:

Star Spec

Yoko Advans

NT05's

Anyone have experience with any of these? How do they work in the wet? I need a bit more front end grip so its time to get a nicer tire.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I have z2 right now (not star spec version). Granite sidewalls, good wet traction, they don't love to be overheated. Seem to be wearing like iron. I've done 4 track days on them and some autox and they still look great.

I'd add rs3 v2 to your list, as well. Softer sidewalls but deal better with heat.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Are these the RS3's? Cooper? They are pretty cheap. I like that. I need to do a bit of a stretch so I may need a softer sidewall.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nitto NT05 are suicide in wet weather. Nitto NT555 are a bit more forgiving.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
No, the Hankook Ventus Rs-3.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
hellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I love the star specs! But if you are looking for something on the lower end I have had good luck with federal 595 and sumitomo htrz ii.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

How is the tread wear on those? I'll check out the Hankooks.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #8
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Are these the RS3's? Cooper? They are pretty cheap. I like that. I need to do a bit of a stretch so I may need a softer sidewall.

I was debating getting these. I heard they are great for the money but are pretty hard rubber, and the sideway isnt strech friendly. Some places are selling 225/40/18s cheaper than Nankgangs.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #9
truckmtrS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
truckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
I was debating getting these. I heard they are great for the money but are pretty hard rubber, and the sideway isnt strech friendly. Some places are selling 225/40/18s cheaper than Nankgangs.
I run the coopers on my 240. Best tire I've used in the rain. Pretty sticky in the dry as well. The price is right too. As for stretching, I'm running a 215/45 on a 17x9 which is very mild compared to most.
truckmtrS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
I would choose the RS3s, they are simply one of the fastest EXP class tires out. Z2 and AD08 are also top picks, although the Yokos out of my budget. I would also be willing to try cheaper tires like 595 RS-R or NS2-R. Symmetrical tread design and being able to flip the tires as they become camber worn is a big selling point for me.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I thought I heard AD08 wear fast and are not so good in the wet. But for dry conditions, they are top notch if you drive the piss out of them.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I ran star specs on the street and RS-3 on the circuit since I was in the street class. I could run 8-12 laps hard and they never gave and were never consistent. There cheaper than the star specs also. If you need a hi pro street tire you wont be disappoint with them on the track. Although its a different brand a lot of Japanese race teams and tuners are going with the Hankook TD's. This in it self says a lot because Japanese people seldom go with anything Korean. But those tires are awesome as well. What I have notice a lot of people new to the track try to get the best/$$ tire and dont even push their lower end tires to the limit. I think it would help if people went with crawl walk run approach. Although not in the track I use to swear by the Yoko Neova line but as I look back it was a lot of money for an ok tire.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #13
g14novak
Zilvia Member

g14novak is an unknown quantity at this point
You may also want to look into Bridgestone s04. They were reasonably priced ($145/ea), have excellent wet traction, and are incredibly quiet. The dry traction is predictable and treadwear is ok. As a comparison, they ride quieter than the Michelin Pilots I have mounted on the rear for sliding right now.
g14novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #14
korito727
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
korito727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My friend has Gt Radials champiro uhp1, he loves them I personally saw him slide with them on the front and rear and it gripped great and the rears smoked a lot.

I used to run federals (each model) and liked them all for the price but I wasn't a fan of the round stretch they had. I now have Achilles and haven't driven with them but they gripped pretty well both wet and dry on the rear of my M3.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #15
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
what about Nt05s for rain? are they that bad?
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #16
sncs14
Zilvia FREAK!

sncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond reputesncs14 has a reputation beyond repute
Picked up some AD08R on closeout from Tire Rack a few weeks ago, pretty much the same price as the latest StarSpec and RE11A. Previously had Ad07, Re01R, and first gen StarSpecs. I liked the Advans the best, so I snagged the 08R to give those a try, but haven't put them on the car yet.
sncs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #17
Aesthetics45
Leaky Injector

Aesthetics45 is an unknown quantity at this point
I run starspecs on my s2k and was instantly hooked. Great in wet weather, but takes a little to warm them up. After winter the silvia will get a set as well.
Aesthetics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 AM   #18
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg54 View Post
what about Nt05s for rain? are they that bad?
They're not great, that's for sure.

Rain = some puddles and standing water. They're fine in damp conditions, if a bit low on grip because they generally like heat.

Last I looked, the Federal 595 RS-Rs were pretty cheap, and offer decent dry grip. It'd probably be between those and NT05s for me on a street tire. No sense in paying near R-comp prices for street prices.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #19
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I've been running a full set of the RS3 v2's on my 3.8 coupe and have great grip on dry roads. Living in the mildew state, I was concerned about wet conditions because the reviews of the V1's werent that great. However, it only takes a minute or so for warm up and then they stick damn good. I got them on a closeout from tirerack for like $650 in 19inchers.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #20
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Good feedback. Thanks fellers.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #21
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
In for Star Specs. IMO best "daily/track" duty tire. They wear comparatively slow to the other options in the class. If you trailer your car then go more aggressive but I know people who run these all year around.

Are the new ones shipping now? I haven't sampled the new version.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #22
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Just to clarify the top-tier direzzas, there are 4 models. z1, z1 star spec, z2, z2 star spec. The first 3 are discontinued, so now what you get is z2 star spec. I'm on regular z2s and they do indeed wear like iron. Once you overheat them they do get greasy. But with super stiff sidewalls you can run some lower pressure and keep them feeling less 'skatey'.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #23
SaUcEy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
SaUcEy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
In for Star Specs simply because they seem to have have better wear. I liked the RS3's a lot for the money, but went though them quickly. i allo had the NT555r's and was very happy with those overall. Lapped Road Atlanta in them a few times, with a lot of AutoX and they held up well.

Im on Yokohama Advans now (just the sport) and Im unhappy with how quickly Ive eaten up the rears after 2 grip events.. 370z, TCS on, just getting accustomed to the suspension changes, not even pushing hard and Im at the wear bars. Weak sauce.
SaUcEy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #24
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Also,

I think Dunlop sidewalls look really cool stretched or not.

My inner fanboi is showing.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #25
kunt_masha
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kunt_masha is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I ran NT05's last year and never pushed.. they last almost a full season too

Your issue will be fitment though.. sticky tires and aspects below 40 dont really go together.
kunt_masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #26
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

nick Ritter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
Nitto NT05 are suicide in wet weather. Nitto NT555 are a bit more forgiving.
+1 to this have them on my car …. not as good as i thought they would be after reading reviews and such
nick Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #27
itsjustdaphne
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
itsjustdaphne is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Had NT05's on our VH Z32 drift car and they were grippy and long-lasting. Did 3 events and they didn't wear down noticeably. However, they will wear out fast for daily driving. Since you drive to the track, keep this in mind, depending on how far your trip is though.

If I were you I'd just get the Federal 595 RS-Rs. Good price and I know of an LS1 S13 who uses them drifting with no complaints. I see more Federals on street driven cars than Nittos.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #28
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

My problem is I'm driving an SC and it's so front heavy, any left foot braking brings on a ton of understeer. So I need the stickiest tire that won't overheat quickly. I upped my spring rates to 20kg which might makes things worse. But I do need a stretch. 10.5 front so I need something no narrower than 235 and no taller than 40. The star specs are all 45 from what I'm finding.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #29
kunt_masha
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kunt_masha is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
245/35 18

Sidewall aspect is the only thing that matters. You can get a few good tires in that size
kunt_masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #30
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
I need something no narrower than 235 and no taller than 40. The star specs are all 45 from what I'm finding.
Go on Tire Rack. The Z2 Star Spec is available in 235/40, 17 and 18. TR used to be the exclusive distributor of the Z1s but I don't know if that's changed.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote