Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-04-2003, 10:48 PM   #1
RedlineRacer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
RedlineRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to RedlineRacer Send a message via AIM to RedlineRacer
Driving Filterless

One of my rice-boy friends had a Cold Air on his Si. He hit a dog a few months ago and really f*cked the front of his car. The dog smashed his filter on his intake and messed some of the piping up on his intake. He said he was only going about 45 when he hit the dog, but as much damage as he did, I would say he was doing about 60-70. Now he took off his intake and filter. He swears that it wont hurt his engine but I don't believe him. Any insight from you guys?
RedlineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
hotrodman

hotrodman is an unknown quantity at this point
You have done answered your ?

You said rice-boy, that explains everything. Not a good idea at all. I have heard of hot rodders turning the top of the air cleaner upside down and bypassing the rosenator tubes. This is ok because it still had filtration. What your friend is doing is not safe at all. Although, I have seen turbo racing cars not putting a filter on the turbo (not a good idea in my opinion).
Old 06-04-2003, 11:11 PM   #3
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

s13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to s13rookie
the slight if any hp increase is not even close to being worth the risk of blowing your engine after sucking in debris like sand or salt
Old 06-04-2003, 11:21 PM   #4
RedlineRacer
Zilvia FREAK!

RedlineRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to RedlineRacer Send a message via AIM to RedlineRacer
I told him that everday day air has a ton of dust and dirt in it that can harm you engine. But he says it is bs. Stuborn Ricer!
RedlineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:36 PM   #5
hotrodman

hotrodman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey.

Let him blow his sh!t up and he will learn the hard way. Freakin ricers and there rice-mobiles seem to never want to listen to techs like me in my area. I say f@ck it then. I told them I had a 240sx and they said "hey put an sr20dett in it." Der! Der! Der! I wish they actually knew of the many engine that can be put in the 240sx like ca18det, rb25det (mtf), rb26det (mtf), turboing the ka24e or de. They only know what super street tells them or the fast and the gullable tells them. I also don't like how super street talks badly about the ka24e, but says the ka24de with a turbo is bad sh!t. Then I get the crap from the domestic people saying I should drop a v8 in it.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:30 AM   #6
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
you see a lot of turbo guys put screen over the turbo inlet while tuning.
I sure wouldn't want to try no filter on my stock N/A car with no turbo or ic to possibly catch the debris.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
transient
Premium Member

transient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to transient Send a message via AIM to transient
If he's so sure that driving filterless is no problem, then why does every car come with a filter from the factory? Certainly they could save some money by leaving that piece out
Old 06-05-2003, 12:02 PM   #8
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
Quote:
Originally posted by transient
If he's so sure that driving filterless is no problem, then why does every car come with a filter from the factory? Certainly they could save some money by leaving that piece out
{sarcasm}WELL DUH!.. they make lots of money selling filters!!!{/sarcasm} :hammer:

edit - made sure you could tell I was j/k

Last edited by sykikchimp; 06-05-2003 at 12:43 PM..
sykikchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:23 PM   #9
transient
Premium Member

transient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant futuretransient has a brilliant future
Since when?! How many people do you know that get their filters at the dealership? (if they get them at all)
Old 06-05-2003, 02:35 PM   #10
soulDistortion
Zilvia Member

soulDistortion is an unknown quantity at this point
The filter is there for a reason. It should be a no-brainer as to why one is needed for daily-driven cars.

If your ricer friend refuses to use one, let him. Make sure you laugh heartily in his face when he sucks up a rock and kills his engine. Add "I told you so, dumbass" for extra obnoxious points.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:58 PM   #11
Tuck&Poke
Zilvia FREAK!

Tuck&Poke is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Tuck&Poke Send a message via Yahoo to Tuck&Poke
Quote:
Originally posted by transient
Since when?! How many people do you know that get their filters at the dealership? (if they get them at all)
er... i got a new filter for the jetta at the dealership... maintinence is covered for like 4yrs or something and they replace the air filter every so thousand miles (i love the smileys!)
Tuck&Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 PM   #12
transient
Premium Member

Well that's under warrantee, so they'd be losing money
Old 06-05-2003, 10:21 PM   #13
TTurboXfd3s

TTurboXfd3s is an unknown quantity at this point
so much hostility in this room. ricer this ricer that. the funny thing is usually people who say that are even more stupid than ricers, but yeah he should throw a sock in there or something, but to hit a dog hard enough to mess up your intakes threw the frame and bumper. how is the car even running in the first place?
TTurboXfd3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:55 PM   #14
AlligatorBling
BANNED

AlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to AlligatorBling Send a message via Yahoo to AlligatorBling
just imagine the grit and grime getting into his cylinders, scaring them up, scratching, ahhhhh it makes my skin crawl thinking about it

-ryan
93 se fastback w/ hicas
injen cai, hotshot header, flowmaster 60 exhaust
AlligatorBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:30 AM   #15
twitchy
Zilvia FREAK!

twitchy is an unknown quantity at this point
no you dont need an air filter. I dont know why the engineers at Honda would even think up something so stupid
Old 06-06-2003, 12:51 AM   #16
mistert
Pearl White Mike

mistert is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to mistert Send a message via AIM to mistert
i just put the extension on my injen intake the other night. i had to pull the filter on and off several times and i guess i didnt get it very firmly on there the last time i did it. I didnt reinstall the little panel under the fender/bumper that i removed to pull out the ducting that was in the way of the extension, because i figured it'd get alot more airflow without it and i have a friend that has run his like that for over a year without any problems. well, it tossed it on the 5 (fell right into the path of both driverside tires, so it gave me a hell of a scare) and bounced off on its own.

I'm running with a piece of pantyhose over the intake tube (3 layers of it, actually) to keep anything large from being sucked up. I'm going to get a new filter for it today. i dont think the grimey air is going to do too much damage in a day, the pantyhose should do a decent job of filtering and will definitely keep rocks and sand out
Old 06-06-2003, 12:53 AM   #17
twitchy
Zilvia FREAK!

twitchy is an unknown quantity at this point
split crotch panties??
Old 06-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #18
s13rookie
Zilvia FREAK!

s13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant futures13rookie has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to s13rookie
nah, i think he said they were slutty fishnets, knee high