Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 11-17-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
DGtrials Drift Clinic...Clutch Diffs ROCK!!

So I spent the ENTIRE summer saving money to get my car ready in time for this event. My last two events I was running stock suspension and an open diff. To say I was nothing but frusterated and upset is an understatement.

After yesterday I can say you really only need two things for drifting. A clutch diff and good coilovers. A stock KA (SOHC) is more than capable of providing enough power.

I spent most of the day doing figure 8's, trying to get a feel for the car and how it behaves. Just getting comfortable with steering and throttle inputs. Kinda sux cause I burned through my tires super fast and had to sit out the last couple of hours.

I still have a problem just doing tight u-turn drifts as I have a HORRIBLE habit of countersteering late. I won't start my counter steer until I feel the ass of the car is perpendicular to the apex. By that time I'm at full lock with no steering left to give. I also have a natural tendency to floor the throttle when the ass starts to come around.

Definetly can't wait until next year though. Time to save up for new tires and ANOTHER set of rims.
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
pruto
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
pruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
don't worry about your natural tendencies and countersteering, a lot of it is overcoming intuition and getting it down with muscle memory. i'm glad you're having fun, and going about it the right way =). oh yeah, clutch diff is all you need to start having fun.

and yes, KA is plenty of power... until you start doing 3rd gear stuff and have long turns to connect. =p
its torque and hp are more than enough for 2nd gear courses, i.e. stuff to learn on.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Add a nice bucket seat or super bolstered seat to the list of things necessary for drift.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
gonzoes14k
Zilvia Addict

gonzoes14k is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gonzoes14k Send a message via Yahoo to gonzoes14k
I know how u feel my first time was just like that. Open diff lead to most of my spin out/not being able to carry them. Power wise stock (DOCH) was perfect tho my Lines where not good at all. Cant wait till my next one tho. Jaetea when lookout drift does some VA events you should come down.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
Ghost Beat

Trader Rating: (0)
Ghost Beat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what car were you driving?
Ghost Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #6
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Beat
what car were you driving?
I had the champagne S13 hatch. It had the "trucker girl" stickers on the side windows.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
Ghost Beat

Ghost Beat is an unknown quantity at this point
the one with the mesh wheels that was in the group with me? (me being the brown guy with the white s14)
Ghost Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (8)
Brian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Brian W.
Yeah, that was a fun lil event.. i know i had a blast.

Glad to hear your enjoying your diff!!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar
What kind of diff were you useing? I agree with the coils
Old 11-25-2004, 01:48 PM   #10
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert
Add a nice bucket seat or super bolstered seat to the list of things necessary for drift.
I totally agree with you on that.

I still have my stock s14 seats and its becoming a real pain in the butt when I'm at drift events. When I have to keep shifting the weight of the car I fly all over the place and I always end up with a big bruise on my right knee from bracing myself against the center console. I mean im 5' 9" 155lbs, which isnt too small, but I swear the s14 seats dont hold me for crap. Now I've been in a car with a bride zeta III and that was awesome, it fits and holds me in perfectly. After that, I realized how much a seat actually helps. A zeta III is definitely on my list of things to buy before the next season starts. So if anybody has a zeta III for sale, let me know!
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #11
raging panda
Leaky Injector

raging panda is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to raging panda
I found the seat to be one of the very best mods to my drift car. I bought a seat before i bought my next 240, next thing im getting is the diff.
raging panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #12
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsxs13
What kind of diff were you useing? I agree with the coils
Nismo 2-way. It rocks!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:53 AM   #13
Ohio Drifter
Leaky Injector

Ohio Drifter is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree!
Clutch-type diff is a must for any drifter (I have a Kaaz 2way and I luv it). Tension-rods help a lot while braking (they keep the caster's angle were it should be) and a negative camber on the front is good to have too. One thing that is not that important but also helps is the Drift-knob. I don't use much e-brake but they give me peace of mind when I have to. Plus they look great and are cheap, I bought my Cusco for 20 bux.
My KA24DE was no longer good enough for me. Like Pruto said, is hard to keep a 3rd gear slide with a stock KA. I'm turboing it for the next season (installing a BoostDesigns kit with + a Profec E-01 and some up-grades), I'm also installing a Clutch Masters kit and a B&M short shifter. I hope my 120k miles engine can handle it.

Last edited by Ohio Drifter; 12-07-2004 at 09:15 AM..
Ohio Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #14
l33tmonkeyman
Zilvia Member

l33tmonkeyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to l33tmonkeyman
i am looking to get a TOMEI diff for this summer. I cant wait till i get that thing installed!!
l33tmonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 AM   #15
supportTHEezln
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
supportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to supportTHEezln
I got a tomei and installed it a couple days after, good upgrade. And the noise isn't really that bad, and if anyone would complain about that noise but likes the sound of their loud ricey exhaust should go buy back their civic from whoever they sold it to =P
supportTHEezln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #16
l33tmonkeyman
Zilvia Member

l33tmonkeyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to l33tmonkeyman
heh, if u buy something like a clutch diff, the noise better be expected or people should be doin waaayy more research before buying things... :P
l33tmonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:47 AM   #17
StanBo
Zilvia Member

StanBo is making a name for him/her selfStanBo is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via ICQ to StanBo Send a message via AIM to StanBo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTea
I had the champagne S13 hatch. It had the "trucker girl" stickers on the side windows.
You will do better this season. My tan coupe should be almost identical to yours soon so I will take you in mine to show you what entry speeds to use and when to start your drift.

Everyone was progressing well by the end of the day.

I can't wait for the season to start!
StanBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:17 AM   #18
m_haiser

m_haiser is an unknown quantity at this point
i feel so handicapped. ive got open-diff and an automatic :'(
m_haiser is offline   Reply With Quote