Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
nevaland9
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
nevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfectionnevaland9 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nevaland9
Catch can question..which is better?

Ive heard better vac helps seals the rings better and makes the motor happier but which was is the best? Just putting a breather on dosnt seem too smart.

Which way is the best way to run my catch can and why?

this way looks the easiest.

and theres this way

i heard this way is the best

help me out
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
When I get mine, Im going to mount it on the drivers frame rail, that way it doesn't clutter up the engine bay.. Some guys just run a line straight through with no can.. but that makes the underside messy Just an idea.

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
SlowCoupe
Zilvia Junkie

SlowCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SlowCoupe
i think the 3rd way is best.

thats assuming the line comming off the tee goes to a can and a line from the can goes to the turbo intake.

thats how i have mine hooked up.

SlowCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
mines the 3rd way...

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
jilo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
jilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of lightjilo is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
on a redtop or basically any other sr it should be a line from crank case->catchcan->t->post maf intake
Old 08-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
1320_power

1320_power is making a name for him/her self1320_power is making a name for him/her self
quoted from a friend in japan

here is one hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake manifold with a check valve in place called a PCV valve, positive crank ventilation. Basically this sucks the pressure out of the crank case when not under boost. When under boost, boost pressure closes the PCV valve. If this valve was not there and it was a direct hose, then it would over pressurize the crank case.

Then thee is another hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake pipe of the turbo. When under boost, the turbo creates a vacuum in front of the compressor inlet, sucking the pressure out of the crank case.

At high RPM is when you get the most blow by and crank case pressure. When there is no catch can where from the valve cover to the turbo intake pipe, oil along with air get sucked out of the crank case. This oil gets sucked right into the turbo and makes it way to the intercooler. So to alleviate this, a catch can is installed.

The hose goes from the valve cover, to the catch can. Then another hose goes from the catch can to the turbo intake pipe for the vacuum effect. So at high boost high rpm, the catch also has a vacuum.

The other fitting I would say its for draining the catch can. Its not necessary to have the vacuum effect for crank ventilation. but that more for people who do not run intake pipes on their turbo., or a PCV valve on their intake manifold. The hoses just dump to the atmosphere.

Last edited by 1320_power; 08-08-2007 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: mistake
1320_power is offline   Reply With Quote