Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Sludge/carbon build up

bought a motor from a vendor here. outside looks great. BUT i opened the valve cover and there is a LOT of black carbon burnt oil etc. now the thing is the cam lobes look great no scoring or heat marks.

also the motor came with no spark plugs which leads me to believe that a compression check was done. i will have to confirm with the seller.

i also removed the thermostat housing and its SUPER clean whatever coolant that was left was clean. There appears to be no scaling or rust in the thermostat housing. i wil have to remove upper coolant neck to check it as well, and the pump

no my question is what would you guys determine as being bad or good in terms of sludge/carbon under the valve cover? pics would help.

what can i do as far as cleaning it? can i or should i use carb cleaner? honestly looks like motor sat for a while and or oil wasnt changed frequently...its really black....

motor is a black top SR

unfortunatly i do not have pics at the moment. i will post them tomorrow when i get home.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
c72c
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
c72c is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
it all depends how bad it is. i don't have any pics to show my opinion, but, a friend and i just picked up a 14 from a guy who had it for 3 years. he mentioned it ran rough and ticked a little at certain times. then he mentioned he hasn't changed the oil since he bought the car... i pulled the dipstick out, looked like syrup and was even sticky.
changed the oil, and it's running surprisingly smooth.
If it were for an engine i want to keep running and not worry about it shitting the bed, flush it a few times. you can use a half a quart of atf mixed with the oil to break up sludge, run it through, then flush it without atf once or twice after.
also check the front and rear main seals.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ATF will dilute the add pack, switch to rotella T6 if you want good cleaning, plus its works well with our cars.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
klits562
Zilvia Member

klits562 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've personally used Seafoam and it seemed to do a very good job engine felt more responsive after wards its suppose to be really good for carbon build up. Just make sure you read the directions on how to use Seafoam as it dilutes oil and if its left in there might do damage.
klits562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
man some people on here suck when selling shit to you. I bought a motor from someone on here. they said the motor ran perfect and had no problems what so ever.. when i started it, it was smoking like crazy. so i took the head off and first pistons rings were soo bad the pistion wiggled back and forth and same thing for piston 3. Sometimes you need to do some serious inspections on the spot before you buy. but your case doesnt seem bad at all really. good luck
Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by c72c View Post
it all depends how bad it is. i don't have any pics to show my opinion, but, a friend and i just picked up a 14 from a guy who had it for 3 years. he mentioned it ran rough and ticked a little at certain times. then he mentioned he hasn't changed the oil since he bought the car... i pulled the dipstick out, looked like syrup and was even sticky.
changed the oil, and it's running surprisingly smooth.
If it were for an engine i want to keep running and not worry about it shitting the bed, flush it a few times. you can use a half a quart of atf mixed with the oil to break up sludge, run it through, then flush it without atf once or twice after.
also check the front and rear main seals.
yea oil isnt that bad its still liquidy...lol just pretty dam black...also got a new front main seal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
ATF will dilute the add pack, switch to rotella T6 if you want good cleaning, plus its works well with our cars.
good point, i will probably use rotella or develac (sp?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klits562 View Post
I've personally used Seafoam and it seemed to do a very good job engine felt more responsive after wards its suppose to be really good for carbon build up. Just make sure you read the directions on how to use Seafoam as it dilutes oil and if its left in there might do damage.
i have used seafoam before but NEVER in oil just through a vac line..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
man some people on here suck when selling shit to you. I bought a motor from someone on here. they said the motor ran perfect and had no problems what so ever.. when i started it, it was smoking like crazy. so i took the head off and first pistons rings were soo bad the pistion wiggled back and forth and same thing for piston 3. Sometimes you need to do some serious inspections on the spot before you buy. but your case doesnt seem bad at all really. good luck
motor turns over very easily by hand so thank god no issues like that..

on to the pics, most of this stuff just wipes right off with a rag..it not really caked or burnt..

and a close up of the cam lobes

let me know what u think...im still debating if it is safe to spray it down wit carb cleaner?? thoughts??

THANKS!!

Quote:

Quote:
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
yea oil isnt that bad its still liquidy...lol just pretty dam black...also got a new front main seal..

good point, i will probably use rotella or develac (sp?)

i have used seafoam before but NEVER in oil just through a vac line..

motor turns over very easily by hand so thank god no issues like that..

on to the pics, most of this stuff just wipes right off with a rag..it not really caked or burnt..

and a close up of the cam lobes

let me know what u think...im still debating if it is safe to spray it down wit carb cleaner?? thoughts??

THANKS!!

it shouldnt turn over too easily by hand... you need to get a compression check.. make sure yourself the compression is good.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
it shouldnt turn over too easily with your hand... you need to get a compression check.. make sure yourself the compression is good.

sorry what i mean is it turns over fairly easy by hand, using a 1/2 inch ratchet and socket, also i am not able to turn the motor over a ful 360* bc its on the ground and the flex plate is getting in the way...i was able to get a total of 45*of turn...i will do a compression this weekend when i get the motor on the stand.
THANKS!!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
sorry what i mean is it turns over fairly easy by hand, using a 1/2 inch ratchet and socket, also i am not able to turn the motor over a ful 360* bc its on the ground and the flex plate is getting in the way...i was able to get a total of 45*of turn...i will do a compression this weekend when i get the motor on the stand.
THANKS!!!!
ohh ok, well good luck !! and i usualy use brake cleaner for taking that kinda stuff off it works great. you dont have to worry about getting chemicals on the head theres nothing but metal in there besides the valve stems with the little rubber peices but it wont effect those.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

DONT use brake cleaner!

Run some T6 with 1/2 qt of marvel mystery oil. It will take all that stuff out in about 3k miles.

That sludge is not that bad, just do a normal oil change.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
DONT use brake cleaner!
Please elaborate.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
Please elaborate.
X2

would the brake cleaner or carb cleaner have a negative effect on bearing surfaces? lobes, rocker pads, etc?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
It shouldn't. I use brake cleaner/Carb cleaner on Engines,Tranny's,Diff's. And I have not had a problem.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
c72c
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
ATF will dilute the add pack, ....
what is said add pack?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
what is said add pack?

i believe he is refering to the additive's in the oil. That the ATF will render any and all additives useless...

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
c72c
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
i believe he is refering to the additive's in the oil. That the ATF will render any and all additives useless...
when you put the ATF in, that is your additive. it breaks everything loose and helps clean it all out. then you flush it out with an oil change or two. you don't run it longer than a few minutes.
so the additives in your oil don't really matter during that time.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
when you put the ATF in, that is your additive. it breaks everything loose and helps clean it all out. then you flush it out with an oil change or two. you don't run it longer than a few minutes.
ATF is an additive? Last time I checked it was ashless,

1/4 the normal oil additives. ATF is not a cleaner, by any means. I will probably drop your viscrosity down, and lower your HTHS.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
efrain240sx
Leaky Injector

efrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I'm with this guy. I have use ATF in many dirty engines, and it always does the trick.
efrain240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #19
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrain240sx View Post
I'm with this guy. I have use ATF in many dirty engines, and it always does the trick.
What is in the atf that acts like a cleaner? Esters? Petroleum?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #20
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Quote:
Damn dude settle, It could just be a mixture of a few things in the fluid that does it. Everyone has there own tricks of doing things, If it is working for them and others well more power to them. Atf does help break it down cause I have used it personally and it has worked.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #21
efrain240sx
Leaky Injector

efrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enoughefrain240sx will become famous soon enough
Well i don't know what exactly it is about ATF fluid that breaks down slug so good. My drivetrain instructor told us about the trick; he then did a demonstration on a live car that had some build up in it, and when he was done the slug was gone. He said that the reason the ATF fliud broke it down is becasue ATF fluid is rich in detergents. There is no need to get crazy about this, i'm just trying to pass on a neat trick my teacher showed me.
efrain240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #22
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Bigsyke you are ALIVE!!! I haven't seen a post from you in forever... hows it going? the gt2871r thread is still alive LOL
Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #23
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

ok i ended up sprayin down the head with sea foam deep clean,.....its suppose to clean n lubricare...most of the blackneess went away and drained in the pan...after that was done i poured some oil over all components i will post pics when i get a chance

Thanks!!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #24
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Quote:
ok i ended up sprayin down the head with sea foam deep clean,.....its suppose to clean n lubricare...most of the blackneess went away and drained in the pan...after that was done i poured some oil over all components i will post pics when i get a chance

Thanks!!
Yeah I've used Seafoam before and it worked well!