Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Yuri
Ghost of Zilvia past

Trader Rating: (0)
Yuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Zilvia Book Club

This thread is for fellow readers to share what they are reading and suggest good books for other zilvians to enjoy.

Right now I'm finishing up Lightning by Dean Koontz.
Best book I've read in a while.
Nazi time travel? yep.

I also suggest the 1632 series by Eric Flint.
Really good.
It's about a West Virginia town from modern day that gets sent back to medievel Germany.
Memorable moment: Offshore racing boat armed with homemade rockets vs. the Spanish Armada. (1633, the second book.)
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
origin_s135
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
origin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
"The Judge" by Steve Martini
Lots of mystery in the story, here's a brief summary:
"When Judge Armando Acosta is charged with soliciting a prostitute, attorney Paul Madriani is less than sympathetic. Nevertheless, Madriani is forced to defend his old nemesis. And when the policewoman who snared Acosta is brutally murdered, he wonders if the judge is also the executioner...."
Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
ALTRNTV
Post Whore!

ALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfectionALTRNTV is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ALTRNTV
I'm in college, so I read Into the Wild some time back, great story.
ALTRNTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
the lucifer principal by howard bloom

amazing look into history and sociology.

World War Z
The Zombie Survival Guide
both by Max Brooks

fucking amazing story on WWZ, and TZSG is a great funny read.....

....but zombies are no joke..
Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEvilRPS13 View Post
the lucifer principal by howard bloom

amazing look into history and sociology.

World War Z
The Zombie Survival Guide
both by Max Brooks

fucking amazing story on WWZ, and TZSG is a great funny read.....

....but zombies are no joke..
hahah I bought those for my old EX, she was way into zombies.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
lol she didn't moan like one during sex did she?

sorry. off topic. back on topic.

i also read memoirs of a geisha. amazing book, never saw the movie, samething with the Da Vinci Code.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
240love^_^
Zilvia Addict

240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection240love^_^ is close to perfection
Here are a few I've read in the past 3 months:

Dreams of Trespass-Fatima Mernissi
When Heaven and Earth Changed Places-Le Ly Hayslip
Always Running-Luis Rodriguez
The Devil Came on Horseback- Brian Steidle
240love^_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
Memoirs of a Geisha is pretty damn good.

im reading Chinese Playground currently and its interesting enough.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
pablo180
Zilvia Member

pablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of light
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
by Haruki Murakami

Literally blew my mind at the end.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo180 View Post
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
by Haruki Murakami

Literally blew my mind at the end.
sounds interesting, i may have to pick that up.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
One of my favorite book as a kid was a book called "The giver"

Kinda weird little book.
azndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
over the past couple days ive picked up some good ones from the local used book store.

ender's game

daybreak 2250 a.d.

watership down

an original copy of "the hobbit" with clear plastic bookcover (if youve seen it, you know)

i also found one called "the satan seller" it sounded cool, but it's not...

ive read all but "the satan seller" years before, but these copies are in excellent condition so i snagged em
SW20Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Out of the books I've read in the past few months, my favorite two were The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, and The Five-Forty-Five to Cannes by Tess Uriza Holthe.
I recommend them, you won't want to put them down, especially The Historian.
By the way they're both fiction, don't let the titles mislead you.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #14
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEvilRPS13 View Post
lol she didn't moan like one during sex did she?

sorry. off topic. back on topic.

i also read memoirs of a geisha. amazing book, never saw the movie, samething with the Da Vinci Code.

Rrrrrrraaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrr

BRAINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
B18C5MK1
Zilvia Addict

B18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond reputeB18C5MK1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to B18C5MK1
lately i've been reading a lot of Kurt Vonnegut. His books are awesome. I also just finished up for the fourth time (yes, i'm one of the few book readers that will read the same book over and over) The Philosophy of Andy Warhol by none other than Andy Warhol himself. This book cracks me up. Also, Switch Bitch by Roald Dahl is a good read.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
muddafakka
Zilvia FREAK!

muddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfection
Man I haven't read a good book in a long time. All I read nowadays is shit for school or car magazines.

The Hunt for Red October as a book is much better than the movie. I highly recommend reading it. I couldn't put it down. I also read a few of the Halo books (The Fall of Reach, etc.), pretty good stuff.

Anybody read the Splinter Cell books? It caught my eye the other day.

I've also been looking for the Bourne books (Legacy, Betrayal, etc.) I want to read them eventually.

Anybody got any other good spy, detective, military novel recommendations?
muddafakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #17
Yuri
Ghost of Zilvia past

Yuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddafakka View Post
. I also read a few of the Halo books (The Fall of Reach, etc.), pretty good stuff.

Anybody got any other good spy, detective, military novel recommendations?
Are they seriously good (the Halo books) or just fanboy fiction?

If you want an awesome detective novel, check out The Chase by Clive Cussler. Cussler kinda sucked for about 10 years on books he co-wrote, but this one is downright incredible. Also check out Night Probe by the same guy.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #18
Suckmycack
Leaky Injector

Suckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to allSuckmycack is a name known to all
"Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown
"Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown
He writes some really good books.
Suckmycack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
muddafakka
Zilvia FREAK!

muddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Are they seriously good (the Halo books) or just fanboy fiction?
No fanboy fiction. I've only read The Fall of Reach and First Strike so I can't speak for the rest. The Fall of Reach chronicles the events that happened before Combat Evolved and First Strike is about what happens between Halo 1 and 2. I heard the Flood was pretty boring and repetitive.
muddafakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
slothonaleash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
slothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
kiterunner, the
slothonaleash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #21
Yuri
Ghost of Zilvia past

"Day of the Cheetah" by Dale Brown is a good military novel.
Experimental fighters, that kind of stuff.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #22
SNC240SX
Zilvia Junkie

SNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfectionSNC240SX is close to perfection
Currently im reading all the James Bond books. Im on Thunderball right now and theyre all awesome books.
SNC240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #23
cwd240
Zilvia Member

cwd240 has a spectacular aura aboutcwd240 has a spectacular aura aboutcwd240 has a spectacular aura aboutcwd240 has a spectacular aura aboutcwd240 has a spectacular aura aboutcwd240 has a spectacular aura about
A Thousand Splendid Suns is awesome, by the same author as the kite runner
Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #24
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
i somehow managed to make it to 23 without reading Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, and that's next on my list. right now i'm working on Neuromancer by William Gibson
Old 03-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #25
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
its too time consuming to check out all the new stuff since i dont work @ borders anymore... i usually just hit up the local used books here or "the rediculous book store" in gulfport ms when im in town and drop like $10 on random books that look cool (and it helps if they've been out of print for @ least 20 years)

the ones i dont like, i drop em off @ goodwill.
SW20Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #26
NiSmo240luvR
Zilvia Member

NiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to beholdNiSmo240luvR is a splendid one to behold
my favorite genre is covert ops/military/espionage books. some of my favorites in that genre are almost all the older Robert Ludlum books(prometheus deception, janson directive, scorpio illusion etc..), a few by Larry Bond and David Baldacci, and a few others i cant remember right now. I'm getting to the end of a Vince Flynn book, and it seems pretty good so far. however, i will read pretty much anything i can get my hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckmycack View Post
"Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown
"Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown
He writes some really good books.
ive read something by Dan Brown, but cant remember what. i just remember that i enjoyed it.

Quote:
If you want an awesome detective novel, check out The Chase by Clive Cussler. Cussler kinda sucked for about 10 years on books he co-wrote, but this one is downright incredible. Also check out Night Probe by the same guy.
i read one Cussler book and it had potential, but i just thought it was very eh. i will definitely check these out though.
NiSmo240luvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #27
shade
Zilvia Junkie

shade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond reputeshade has a reputation beyond repute
Just read Five Past Midnight by James Thayer. Pretty good. I read the preview and grabbed it at the bookstore, then I just found out that it has good ratings too.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Five-Past-Midnight-James-Thayer/dp/0671798154[/ame]
shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Enders Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW20Racer View Post
ender's game

watership down
2 EXCELLENT BOOKS !!

Enders Game is supposedly in pre production for a movie too. so might be a good one to read now guys. And it wasn't originally a series, so If you dont dig it, you can leave it. And if you do, it keeps going.

Quote:
....... The Chase by Clive Cussler. Cussler kinda sucked for about 10 years on books he co-wrote, but this one is downright incredible. Also check out Night Probe by the same guy.
LMAO, this is the second time I have seen you mention Clussler on Zilvia !! you must love that dude !! I just finished his, "treasure of kahn", wasn't so good.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #29
jh3xp
Zilvia Member

jh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant futurejh3xp has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothonaleash View Post
kiterunner, the
Im not a reader but im reading this book for school and its pretty good.

I recommend it if you have short attention span like me. Or you could ditch reading and play gran turismo all day
jh3xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #30
90KAcoupe
Zilvia Junkie

90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future90KAcoupe has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to 90KAcoupe
im not a reader at all but i've been reading this book called Ishmael and its seriously AMAZING. it basically explains how things in the world came to be this way.. its a great book. it can be taken in both points of view. religious or non religious. and it answered many questions i had.