Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ryangreg can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motegi Touge 17x9

Anybody have any idea how many inches the polished lips are on these? If anybody has any pics of these on their car, and feels like sharing, that'd be great.

Ryan
ryangreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Did you try asking Motegi?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
that's a good place to start.
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

ha awsome answers dudes!

Yes, I did.

Hey, I have an idea!......errr never mind.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Ok, if you did that much..

Did you try Searching?

This comes from a For Sale Thread.

Now, granted, it's not a precise measurement of how big the lip is, but it gives you a visual clue as what it looks like.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
hella ugly!

barf.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I hope R.J. did not design that. I would not really even think of that as much of a lip. But it looks like about 2 inches max. Kinda weird looking.
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

yea no shit, those things are ugly. So i guess that nasty lip you see in Motegis site is obviously on the 18in rim.

Rim suggestions anybody. 17 x 9 front 17 x 9 or 10 rear. Something with a substantial lip in the rear at least.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #9
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

m0rex is on a distinguished road
For that price i'd get teh rota d2.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangreg
Rim suggestions anybody.
This is the BEST place to start.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=44300
Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

thanks that guy....helped a bunch.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
wow... that s14 REALLY looks like a 4x4.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

^^ sure does.... maybe that threw me off.

I suppose with a lower series tire and a good slamming those would look pretty damn good.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #14
midnite_180
BANNED

midnite_180 is a well-known jackass
these D1 cars that where at DriftCircurt2 here in san diego had them on there cars, thay look hot to me. sorry this is the only pic i have.*NOTE* im not talking about the s15 just the cars in the background, the s15 belongs to the founder of Driftcircurt.org
midnite_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Since the cars have obvious MCKINNEY stickers on them, I went to Mckinney Motorsports page and gound these.

Amazing what treasures the internet holds.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #16
ryangreg
Zilvia Member

^^ hahaha sure is amazing....im learnin'....eeeasy. Them looks like some 18 der in da' back. That badass 3+ lip is what im after out back. Looks like 18's out back, and 17's up front.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #17
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
those lips are weeeeeak.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #18
SpeedMonkeyInc
Zilvia FREAK!

SpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond repute
Q:How do you totally screw up the classic 5 spoke?

A: Motegi Togue

If for no other reason, stay away just because they are called "Togue"
SpeedMonkeyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #19
koukidough
Zilvia Junkie

koukidough is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow that 3rd pic is amazing. Those are hella deep! Wonder what the exact size and offset.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #20
samms95s14se
Zilvia Member

samms95s14se will become famous soon enoughsamms95s14se will become famous soon enoughsamms95s14se will become famous soon enoughsamms95s14se will become famous soon enough
Hey I have those rims!! 18x9's and 18x10's, the price is not bad and offsets are decent. Stop drinking the Haterade people!
These wheels are purpose built for professional level drifting, they did R&D with professional racers and drifters like Steph Papadakis, PacRim's Dai Yoshihara, McKinney Motorsport's Tanner Foust and Andy Hope, plus I've seen various other cars in Formula D use these also. Also the lip is nice unlike rims where the spokes take up most of the lip room. Not everyone needs to spend 500.00 a piece for rims just to slide around a track but if you do watch that wall! $$.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #21
TougeRacing
Zilvia Junkie

TougeRacing has a little shameless behavior in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG
hella ugly!

barf.
werd. that is pretty darn ugly. the finish looks like crap.
TougeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #22
samms95s14se
Zilvia Member

samms95s14se will become famous soon enoughsamms95s14se will become famous soon enoughsamms95s14se will become famous soon enoughsamms95s14se will become famous soon enough
Here are mine... just not on the car yet, the finish on the gloss blacks are great! better in person.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:50 PM   #23
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those wheels are bootsy.

mmm-hmmm
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #24
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Super-heavy. Like "Holy Christ, this car was professionally prepared and yet they're running these wheels anyway?" heavy.

Oh, and if you're basing your wheel selection on lip size, you have your priorities out of whack.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #25
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
so, do the 17s and 18s have completely different lips? on that dark grey s13, the fronts have a stepped lip and the rears have a smooth lip. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the fronts are 17s and the rears are 18s. I have to say the rears look a lot better, that stepped lip is just fugly.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #26
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by samms95s14se
These wheels are purpose built for professional level drifting, they did R&D with professional racers and drifters like Steph Papadakis, PacRim's Dai Yoshihara, McKinney Motorsport's Tanner Foust and Andy Hope, plus I've seen various other cars in Formula D use these also.
You have got to be kidding. Are you serious? Wheels purpose built for drifting? AHAHAHAA. How are heavy, ugly, wheels purpose built for drifting? Drifting is all about performance and looking good, none of which those wheels provide.

And that McKinney car is so ugly it makes me want to throw up every time I see it at the track. The only time it looked somewhat decent is when they pulled off the graphics on it and it was still ugly.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #27
samms95s14se
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert
You have got to be kidding. Are you serious? Wheels purpose built for drifting? AHAHAHAA. How are heavy, ugly, wheels purpose built for drifting? Drifting is all about performance and looking good, none of which those wheels provide.

And that McKinney car is so ugly it makes me want to throw up every time I see it at the track. The only time it looked somewhat decent is when they pulled off the graphics on it and it was still ugly.
First, thank you for reminding me why I don't post on this forum much and only read stuff, I forget about the responses from some of the people on here.
Second, what I wrote is straight from the Motegi 2006 catalog and I doubt they would lie about it.
Third, they only weigh a couple more pounds than FNO's do and If everybody had the same taste in wheels we would all have the same ones.
Drifting requires knowledge and comon sense! None of which YOU seem to provide.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #28
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
First, thank you for reminding me why I don't post on this forum much and only read stuff, I forget about the responses from some of the people on here.
Second, what I wrote is straight from the Motegi 2006 catalog and I doubt they would lie about it.
Third, they only weigh a couple more pounds than FNO's do and If everybody had the same taste in wheels we would all have the same ones.
HAHAHAAH You're funny. Why does Motegi say that they're R&D'd by REAL DRIFTERS ? Because those guys said "Sure you can use our names. Just give us money."

Frankly, they look like some wheel that some Honda heads THINK that "Drifters" would like. "Aggressive" spoke design, tons of ugly stepped lip, and pointless rivets. Those wheels are a joke, and are why I'd rather buy used wheels off jp.yahoo auctions that would be lighter, look better, and are more likely not to be owned by a very select few in the US.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #29
s14dr1ft3r
Zilvia Member

s14dr1ft3r is making a name for him/her selfs14dr1ft3r is making a name for him/her self
Hi. For those that want to see the same car lowered, here ya go. It's my car. For all you that dont like the wheels, who cares. They look alright and they'll suffice for now until I can afford better ones.

Oh, and the stepped lips are only on the 17s, not the 18s. That is something that actually pissed me off when I got them. And as far as the professional drifters rocking them...I dont think they are track worthy as they are on the heavy side (23 lbs. for 17x9) but they work for my DD. The pros probably only use them because Motegi is paying out their asses to sponsor them. I'm sure if I were Jerry (owner of PacRim Drift Team) and Motegi gave me X amount of dollars and a set of free wheels, I'd use em too. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by s14dr1ft3r; 02-21-2006 at 04:01 PM..
s14dr1ft3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #30
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
You're new to marketing, aren't you? Just because a company says something doesn't mean it's true. Motegi is catering to the 240 crowd with statements like that, and your belief makes their advertising campaign a success.

There is no "only" when it comes to wheel weights. Not only does even one half of a pound make a difference in unsprung weight and thus suspension efficiency, it also affects flywheel effect, which consequently affects stopping, accelerating, and turn-in.

Drifting requires neither knowledge or common sense. It requires a heavy right foot and a better-than-mediocre budget. In fact, if one were to use common sense, one wouldn't drift.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote