Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Rocko
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Rocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rocko
KW Performance but lower?

Iv been doing some research here on Zilvia lately trying to get an idea of what would be the best suspension to go with to have good performance for competition in AutoX events. So far it looks like the best way to go for the most part is either a Koni/GC Setup or a set of KW coilovers judging by what alot of the more experienced guys say.

Which brings me to my question:

Both the Koni/GC and KW Coilover setups offer a limited amount of lowering. What would be the best Coilover setup to go with to get comparable performance to those setups while being capable of going lower when I want to?

From what iv read it sounds like the Tanabe Sevens might be the way to go. Does anyone have an opinion about how they compare in handling to the above mentioned suspensions or know of any other options that would meet my needs?

Thanks in advance guys

Cw
Rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
there is a coilover thread (coilover thread to end it all)
you should post on there!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
The reason you can't slam your car on those suspensions is because the car can only go so low before it becomes hazardous to the function of the suspension - aka suspension travel.

Koni has a PDF file on their website that tells you where your optimum hight should be, I'd be willing to bet it is higher then I'd like my car to be, haha.

If there is a happy median I'd love to know what it is...although I was under the impression KWs went fairly low - they do on S2000s anyway.
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Jgrand03
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Jgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i think i read max for s13s is 2.5in front 2.25 rear
Jgrand03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
yea, KW's don't go low on S13 at all.

Decide what you want to do, be low, or have optimum suspension articulation.

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
if you want some good track coilovers, i have some ZEALs for sale. PM me if your interested.
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Veilside180sx's housings with Koni 8610/8611 - can go low, and get great dampers.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
NI_YON_Zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
NI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Zeal /Functions are great "J.D.M" (road/track) options, my replacements shall the be the function B2 series, the Functions are well off, but I feel the street/ability will be more comfortable.Including dampening adjustment from servos (TEAS) or Cuscos - (They're suspension setups are great as well) EDFC. GT style setups are the way you will want to look toward tuning.

Q1/ is your 13 setup more for schooling soccer moms/pops, or schooling track officials?. .. .or BOTH!?

do you have the budget to have a set of KW's imported for a 13, I'm not positive I've ever seen a setup for nissans other than that of the 04+ lineup (350, G35maybe)

but functions are the bang for the high performance/longevity buck here stateside, HKS also has a good time attack series out now you can look into, I've got the '03 HKS Hypermax II system, 8/6? you have to look at convenience, repair options. Zeal has more dated track logs than Tanabe IMO. but are harder to locate for a decent price. Tanabe is right in torrance. Or you can Try TEIN from Downey, they got great repore for track time. I can figure they're close. 1970's or so w/ tanabe/TEIN 60's or so w/ Zeal/HKS.

make sure your chassis itself is up to the daunting task of controlling those High end dampening rates you're charging for. KW is ALMS BTCC etc! serious levels of development, pricey and well worth any chassis the system sits upon.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 AM   #9
Rocko
Leaky Injector

Rocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura aboutRocko has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

Im willing to spend the cash on the KW's and judging by their price listing on 240sxmotoring they are within my budget

I understand fully that a slammed ride height is usualy not the answer for maximum performance. I just want the option to be able to slam the car if I ever want to.

I heard the JIC a1's have some decent performance and can give me the ride height adjustability I desire. any opinions on them?

I would have posted this in the suspension thread but it seemed like a new thread might be a good idea since it seemed there were others looking for better ride height adjustability with quality dampning and i couldn't really get a solid answer in my searches.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I've got FLA2s...they're okay, they have way too much rebound though. It can be scary going fast on a bumpy off ramp, I haven't hit the rumble strip with this car yet so I am not sure how that would be. They're 10000 times better then the megans I had on my old car, but that is not saying much.
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
spool_sample
Zilvia Member

spool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond repute
If you want something similar to KWs in terms of performance, you're going to need Koni 86xx or Yellows at the minimum. As Def said, go with veilside180sx's housings with the custom inserts.

AceInHole's car on veilside's 8611s up front and Yellows (I think) in the back:
spool_sample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Rocko
Leaky Injector

Ill have to look into those. I read about them in the suspenion thread but figured they would have the same height issues since they were on GC sleeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool_sample View Post
If you want something similar to KWs in terms of performance, you're going to need Koni 86xx or Yellows at the minimum. As Def said, go with veilside180sx's housings with the custom inserts.

AceInHole's car on veilside's 8611s up front and Yellows (I think) in the back:
Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Veilside's housings use a much shorter, better valved strut(8610 single adjustable, or 8611 double adjustable). They are custom housings made with a "race height" in mind. They are not like using a stock length Koni yellow and fighting with lack of suspension travel.

In summary - they are pimp.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #14
Rocko
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Veilside's housings use a much shorter, better valved strut(8610 single adjustable, or 8611 double adjustable). They are custom housings made with a "race height" in mind. They are not like using a stock length Koni yellow and fighting with lack of suspension travel.

In summary - they are pimp.
Not as much info on them in the search I did as I would have liked to have found. looks like he didnt make too many sets. I wonder why KW or someone doesnt just produce something like this in the first place...even if they just used yellows.....
Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
spool_sample
Zilvia Member

spool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond reputespool_sample has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
Not as much info on them in the search I did as I would have liked to have found. looks like he didnt make too many sets. I wonder why KW or someone doesnt just produce something like this in the first place...even if they just used yellows.....
They're made to order. You'll have to wait a while once you pay, but it'll be worth it.
spool_sample is offline   Reply With Quote