Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Trickygreek

Trader Rating: (0)
Trickygreek is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help: Z32 Idle Issue

Hey guys, So I was driving home yesturday night from cleaning my car because I was supposed to be getting a photo shoot of it today but plans changed due to after me cleaning my car and driving home I boosted a bit and got an unnecessary amount of wheel spin (My boost must have spiked from my EBC) and my rpm must have redlines a bit passed 7000rpm and I heard a big POP from the exhaust so after the pop from the exhaust my rpms would drop to 200-500rpm then back to 1000ish (idle rpm) and it would keep 'teeder todering' up and down. Good thing I as close to home and got the car back safely. I had no light what so ever to look into detail last night so I checked for leaks and there was nothing and looked around the engine bay and heard no signs of knocking, I then ran codes and got a code 55. I am not 100% sure where to start as this issue could be a thousand different things, so I thought I would throw up a post and see If anyone else has had the same issue as I have and can help me narrow things down. Thanks!

- Before this all happened I have been having a common on my car exhaust pop when cruising bellow 50km/h. When this idle issue came up I noticed I had an old style PTU that was recalled way back when in the Z32's and R32's and immediately thought this was my problem. I ended up ordering a new style PTU from cZp. Once it finally came in I installed it and took the car out for a drive but about half a block away the cars idle acted up again. I am thinking its maybe my engine temp sensor is dirty as hell, MAF's need a good cleaning, throttle bodies need a cleaning or AIVC needs maintance/cleaning.... I want to start with the AIVC as I had a similar idle happen on my integra (Winter beater) and think it would be a good place to start on on my car. Any thoughts towards how I can troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Trickygreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
check timing!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
mnmax
Zilvia Member

mnmax is making a name for him/her selfmnmax is making a name for him/her self
If it's not your timing, I would suspect that you may have an injector going or you have vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Trickygreek

Trickygreek is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep figured it out.... So I was removing my front bumper because I am storing the car for the winter underground and didn't want to scuff my new bumper up so as I remove my front bumper I find out that I have an intercooler pipe that came out of its coupler lol....I guess when i boosted hard a pipe came loose and out of its coupler which caused an insane boost leak and messing with my idle. Although I have my TPS adjusted, timing checked, new spark plugs, and a new style PTU so my car is now running better than ever..
Trickygreek is offline   Reply With Quote