Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
ghostracing
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ghostracing
AWD rb26dett nissan 240sx

hey everyone i dont kno why but im starting a godzilla project yea the one everyone talks about doin but only few have except with this project i want to make the 240sx AWD thats right i wanna keep the rb26 trans and modify the car to fit has anyone ever heard of this bein done--- and before anyone starts sayin that the idea is stupid or that its gonnna be outrageously expensive i kinda already kno that lol im tryin to create a drag car i already have a 180sx for the drifting now i need somethin for drag--i pretty much want the launch that they skyline has when it takes off. if anyone has annyyyy info please let me kno ---also ill take opinions good or bad.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Be prepared to cut the front end up and sourcing R-chassis front suspension parts to work with the front axles and all that.

It is so impractical to do this, that this is pretty much a ridiculous idea.

That's why no one has done it.

If you want AWD, pick up a 1g DSM for like $2000 and drop the clutch at 6000rpm all you want. They'll take it for a few runs, then break, then you just buy another transfer case for like $100 and put it on, and repeat.

Beats having to pretty much weld on a Skyline front chassis to an S-chassis just to have AWD.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
ghostracing
Zilvia Member

ghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choicesghostracing has made poor choices
so pretty much u dont think that doing this would create a quicker drag car at all---the welding part isnt a problem because --well i weld lol so thats not a issue i guess i need pictures of a cut r-chassis and a s-chassis to see just how different they are like a cross secton view to see what mods i have to do
Old 06-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
you'd be better off just using an R32 GTR.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
boroboros14

boroboros14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not worth it IMO, buy a skyline
Old 06-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
reflexdb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
reflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her selfreflexdb is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to reflexdb
like others have said, the modifiations required to do this would take such a long time, not to mention cost, warrent simply buying a skyline.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
ghostracing
Zilvia Member

skyline is way tooo expensive and its normal--gotta go for whats rare and is done as much plus to buy a skyline in this area is hell all the thousand dollars worth of legalizing theres only 1 guy in md/dc that has one maybe 2
Old 06-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
KrazyZenki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
KrazyZenki is making a name for him/her selfKrazyZenki is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if your trying to build a drag car you already have the perfect setup a light weight RWD car. AWD is nice and all but can only get you so far. Look at John Shepard he has probably the baddest AWD drag car and hes only running mid 8s(8 secs is extremely fast dont take it out of context when I say only) What are the fastest cars in the 1320? RWD With good tires, proper suspension and.......you can get that AWD launch your looking for. If you go over to DRAG240SX.com theres people cutting 1.5 60 foots with street tires and EVOs have a hard time cutting 1.5s. Mickey Thompson E/T streets for example have taken some car to 7.7@199mph in the 1/4 so something around a 1.1-1.2 60 foot. My point is if you want a purpose built drag car stay RWD and put the money you were going to spend on r-chassis parts and fabrication and put it towards tires, suspension, axles, diff, .....and get those sub 1.6 60 foots your looking for.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
sblack13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
sblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
so your afraid that a skyline gtr will be expensive? But your trying to attempt and AWD RB26 240SX? That is not going to be cheap. I think i'm going to be answering the same questions, after 3F 3F.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Come on if you watch option video #34, the Jun 240sx have a quarter mile on 8.08 secs. Read the specs on that, and it uses an SR20DET with a 2.2 litre upgrade a T88, etc etc etc... No NOS....
Old 06-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
yea for high end drag cars, AWD actually slows you down. To much driveline rotation.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
RedSuns
Nissanaholic!

RedSuns is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RedSuns
Get ready to spend a lot more money than you plan on. This was attempted once but given up on because of the cost. Different..yes, Worth it....no.
1991 240SX
1974 260Z
1996 Honda CBR 600 F3
Old 06-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
I saw a Fastback on "EGay" a long time ago that supposedly had the AWD swap started. The front end of the car was about 3 feet off the ground to make room for the front drive shafts and such. I'm fairly certain, in this day and age, if it hasn't been done already, it's probably not worth it. Unless we are talking new technology, but we're not. The RB26 has been swapped into MANY s-chassis. There is a reason they went with RWD trannies.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #14
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostracing
skyline is way tooo expensive and its normal--gotta go for whats rare and is done as much plus to buy a skyline in this area is hell all the thousand dollars worth of legalizing theres only 1 guy in md/dc that has one maybe 2
You clearly aren't working from a knowledgable standpoint.

1. If maintaining a low budget is a concern, building an AWD 240sx is not feasible.
2. If this is going to be a track-only drag car (which it would have to be, due to the excessive modification required for a 240sx), the Skyline wouldn't have to be legalized, as it's a racecar.
3. What's the problem with what's normal? I thought the object of drag racing was to go fast, not to be unique. If unique is what you want, build a showcar.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Why not just fab up some "Skyvia" badges and tell all your friends its AWD... if they think on the same level as you they won't notice... ever.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Every so often a thread like this pops up.

And every thread that does, ends in jibberish.

awd + 240 = stupid.

Has it been done? Maby, But whoever did it must've had a shitload of money to waste on making a 240 wannabe skyline.

240's are ment to be rwd.

But then again, since you're the one with a 180sx, I could be wrong.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #17
SiI40sx
BANNED

SiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SiI40sx
Your so ignorant, the only people with the capacity and knowledge to actually achieve something like this would not even consider coming on the forum asking opinions on how they can get this project started. If ANYTHING they would come on here in the middle of their project asking questions about their engine harness etc etc. You obviously dont have the money and knowledge (judging by your grammar) or engineering background to even begin something like this. To answer your question, anything is possible all you need is time and money. Good luck with your ridiculous project
Old 06-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #18
meteorite_flo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
meteorite_flo is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if he has money, just let him do it, don't bash on him. what if he actually pulled this off? i'd definately would like to see it go crazy in the snow, or mud. and saying some like 240 + AWD ridiculous???? dude, kumakubo drives a fuckin subaru that's RWD, i wonder what i-club has to say about that? the last time i heard....the forum actually like the god damn thing.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
RedSuns
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorite_flo
if he has money, just let him do it, don't bash on him. what if he actually pulled this off? i'd definately would like to see it go crazy in the snow, or mud. and saying some like 240 + AWD ridiculous???? dude, kumakubo drives a fuckin subaru that's RWD, i wonder what i-club has to say about that? the last time i heard....the forum actually like the god damn thing.

All you have to do is remove the front axles noob.
1991 240SX
1974 260Z
1996 Honda CBR 600 F3
Old 06-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #20
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
Old 06-04-2006, 09:36 PM   #21
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorite_flo
You dumb shit, it's easier taking something away that a car already has, then to add something that the car was never designed for.

If he has some dire need to drive an awd nissan, then he could buy a skyline.

Stfu and think before you speak child.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #22
alexchanman
Zilvia Junkie

alexchanman is making a name for him/her selfalexchanman is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to alexchanman
i think it might be cheaper to just buy a r34 than to do this swap. but its all you if you wanna do it.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #23
sciamop
Zilvia Member

sciamop is making a name for him/her selfsciamop is making a name for him/her self
Damn, you guys are sooooooo negative. I've put some serious good ol' boy thinkin' into this swap...

Conclusion: it's easy! Here's my blueprint -- it should help the original poster with his project:

The beauty of this swap is that it should work on older Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers and Ford F-150 pickups too! As far as tools go, you'll need a sawzall and TIG welder (or lots of duct tape). No wiring or fancy mechanical engineering necessary -- just some occasional help/encouragement from the experts on zilvia.net!
http://www.whistlehog.com/blog

Last edited by sciamop; 06-04-2006 at 10:45 PM..
Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #24
RedSuns
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciamop
Damn, you guys are sooooooo negative. I've put some serious good ol' boy thinkin' into this swap...

Conclusion: it's easy! Here's my blueprint -- it should help the original poster with his project:

The beauty of this swap is that it should work on older Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers and Ford F-150 pickups too! As far as tools go, you'll need a sawzall and TIG welder (or lots of duct tape). No wiring or fancy mechanical engineering necessary -- just some occasional help/encouragement from the experts on zilvia.net!
I hope you are being sarcastic. If not you are an idiot.

my 2 cents.
1991 240SX
1974 260Z
1996 Honda CBR 600 F3
Old 06-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #25
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSuns

my 2 cents.
Come on man, lighten up.

That was the best post so far in this thread, aside from what Kevin said earlier.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 AM   #26
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
it looks like the same damned thing hahahhaa. oh man, too much.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:05 AM   #27
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Actually its been done in the states. Remember back bout 5-6 yrs ago, there was a guy from Wisconsin or MN who had a S14 w/ AWD RB26DETT swap. Guy goes by the SN of "LilGTR" Cant remember which board tho, i wanna say NICO when NICO was koo. Anyways, the car was one of the cleanest S14 ive ever seen (It was a show car). He was putting down 550 whp on 4 wheels. I loved that car, then it broke my heart. The guy was coming back from a car show, car was being trailered when they hit a patch of black ice. Lost control of the truck and the trailer flipped, completely destroying the car. This was back then when nobody has done RB swaps in the states, people were just starting on the SR bandwagon.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:22 AM   #28
BoostinGST
Zilvia Addict

BoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant futureBoostinGST has a brilliant future
hmmm that is a dumb idea, however r32 suspension works in a s13 correct??? if thats so it should be easy if you can find the parts

if that is true you might have to fab up tie rods and the lower control arm... i'm pretty sure the cars are about the same width so the axles should work fine... basically if you want a drag car go rwd, if you want something to brag about to the local ricers awd is within your reach
Old 06-05-2006, 04:35 AM   #29
sciamop
Zilvia Member

sciamop is making a name for him/her selfsciamop is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSuns

my 2 cents.
I was hoping that the 'duct tape' and 'F-150' thing would clue the more mindless people in on the joke. I guess it didn't work!
http://www.whistlehog.com/blog
Old 06-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #30
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
What kind of times are you looking for? Theres already two S14s running low 10s on ka-t.org. See: http://www.ka-t.org/rides.htm