Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
morpheus8486
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
morpheus8486 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tein super drifts and 10/8 spring rates in general

I've spent like the last day searching a bunch of different forums and I can't find anything about what people think of tein super drift coilovers other than their initial impressions. Can anyone who has these post something about how they perform? And if nothing else can someone tell me how a 10/8 springrate feels on the street? I was planning on buying some kts coils but the other day I was at a buddy's shop and he told me he could probably get me a good deal on a set of teins or tanabe's so now I gotta re-evaluate all my previous plans. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
People I have talked to said they love em, but you have to consider most people have only ridden on one type of coilovers and it will feel amazing compared to stock. On the stiffness, 10/8 isnt too bad, you'll get used to it.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Drunk Bastard
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Drunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drunk Bastard
I have the HE's and I want to get the SD's. The He spring rates are 8/6 and are too soft for me, they are fine for the street but I prefer something harder for the track.
Drunk Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

m0rex is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried them and have had something weaker than these?
m0rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
S14DriftR
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
S14DriftR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14DriftR
Just saw my first set yesterday, they were installed on a S14. Initial impressions is that the ride is smoother than HE's on S13's. The SD had helper springs in the back tho......... If you can get a good deal on tanabe products you should get the DD's, I would choose them over the superdrifts for sure.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

DoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DoriftoSlut
i have Tanabe DD on my s14. 10/8 very comfy its made so well, much better then my 8/6 HEs i had on the 13..

the HEs were much stiffer but bouncy stiff
the DDs are smooth but still firm

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
DoriftoSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:00 PM   #7
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
stiffer spring rates aon't make super huge gains if valving isn't adjusted in relation to it. sometimes you can have a lower spring rate, and have awesome valving to make up for it. typically with my background in cars (NASA pro racing, Speed TC, 125cc karts) having the ability to adjust bound and rebound can make up for a softer sping so you don't have to run the japanese super high spring rates. I have heard if you jump to 12/10 you need to reweld the shock towers or else separating the glue due to stiffness, Lindsay correct me if im wrong, I saw it in some DT mags a long while ago.

hey hold up is that lindsay or aaron talking. if its lindsay when did you get an s14??

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
BOMEX180
Zilvia Junkie

BOMEX180 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just switched to SD from HE"s. I havent had the chance to run it yet because I dont have any seats.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:02 AM   #9
sdtouge
BANNED

sdtouge can only hope to improve
the super drifts are stiffer springs on the same shocks as the flexs
sdtouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #10
Sil Beer S13
Zilvia FREAK!

Sil Beer S13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sil Beer S13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoriftoSlut
i have Tanabe DD on my s14. 10/8 very comfy its made so well, much better then my 8/6 HEs i had on the 13..

the HEs were much stiffer but bouncy stiff
the DDs are smooth but still firm
Aaron are you using lindseys name? haha

Ya i loved my super drifts 10/8 is a little getting used to but fun.

Kinda bouncey.

I wants DD so MUCH!!! but i couldnt wait.
Sil Beer S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:02 AM   #11
beater_240sx

beater_240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
I have them and I love them, They make the car really nice to drive, make the car really handle very nice. Stiff, I still need to adjust them to my liking but they are really nice, the rears are hoppy though, Like I said I havent fully adjusted them quite yet though... I would go for them.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #12
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
yeah i was using lindsays computer
working over there test fitting and make the new aero fit perfect..well 'perfect' as you can get on a fucked up body car haha..

yeah lindsy still has the s13 coupe..for now..

levi ride in my car at the track, 10/8 is so comfy on DDs..not stiff at all like bouncy or harsh stiff. its very smooth. on 1 setting of the damper..fuck...so smooth. on 4...call your chiropracter (yes i know, i cant spell)
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:12 PM   #13
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtouge
the super drifts are stiffer springs on the same shocks as the flexs
I doubt they'd do that. The Flex shocks are not designed for that high a spring rate.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:14 PM   #14
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
same shock body
different valving and what not
its what inside that matters ,and thats what was changed

JR loves em.
then again he helped get the designed..
Old 06-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
NI_YON_Zenki
Zilvia Addict

NI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud of
I am considering changing over these Progressive springs to linear, This sounds quite interesting considering the market push that was given to the HKS systems over the years. of which I have. The rates I have on the street now is 8/5, that isn't to bad, but Imma tall kat.Moving over to the 10/8 system, I have no choice but to adjust the valving and damper settings to compensate my head at higher speeds here in the River, if they are opposite what Aaron's opinion comes in as.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:34 PM   #16
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
i was looking at the super drift myself. The rates for 240 are 10/8 and FC are 8/6. We are lucky to have such a huge selection of coils at our disposal.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:20 AM   #17
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_YON_Zenki
I am considering changing over these Progressive springs to linear, This sounds quite interesting considering the market push that was given to the HKS systems over the years. of which I have. The rates I have on the street now is 8/5, that isn't to bad, but Imma tall kat.Moving over to the 10/8 system, I have no choice but to adjust the valving and damper settings to compensate my head at higher speeds here in the River, if they are opposite what Aaron's opinion comes in as.
Skip............WTF are you talking about.......sound like someone trying to compose something from a screen play. just be forward about it dammit. I to think to freaking hard when you write things like this.

Hehe........I just may not go DDs instead, if this one ricer kid buys my HEs for a grand(ill install them myself) Imma pick up a set of N1 Pros (previous model) in mint condition.

formerly sideviewcivic
AirBag Club Member #0014
Old 06-15-2005, 03:56 AM   #18
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideview_180sx
Skip............WTF are you talking about.......sound like someone trying to compose something from a screen play. just be forward about it dammit. I to think to freaking hard when you write things like this.

Hehe........I just may not go DDs instead, if this one ricer kid buys my HEs for a grand(ill install them myself) Imma pick up a set of N1 Pros (previous model) in mint condition.

Dude, I was thinking the EXACT same thing! Skip, what the hell are you saying?!?! hahahaha

To stay on topic - i've heard nothing but good things about the super drifts. However, after i get all my other crap, when i upgrade to a 10/8 set up i'll be going with tanabe DD's. Reason for the upgrade - HE's are annoying and bouncy. They get the job done on the track, but the valving sucks.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:10 AM   #19
r-b-x
Leaky Injector

r-b-x is an unknown quantity at this point
i've been looking into these, but my target use is more towards autox and track rather than drift. what do you more knowledgeable people have to say about this setup for grip? similarly thoughts tanabe dd's for grip, please.

for tein, between this and the similar looking flex, the differences are in the stock spring rates and the valving. i've also tossed around the idea of exchanging the stock springs for something softer, since that seemed to be working well for scc's silvia grip car. but i'm not sure which is the better starting point but i'm guessing the sd since it's newer and so has more data going into its development.
r-b-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:30 PM   #20
NI_YON_Zenki
Zilvia Addict

NI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud ofNI_YON_Zenki has much to be proud of
Basically. I was comparing the super drift spring rates to the HKS rates I have currently. I hit my head on the inner top portion of the car when driving over bumpy roads, so If I were to change over to 10/8 linear springs, would it be a wise inverstment for me, as far as driving on the streets. .. .and so I see, the DD's are the prefrence here at zilvia, due to valving complications from the Tein system.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #21
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Zeal Super Function are badass too, so is the price tag unfortunately though. ouch. i would prefer those over DDs after drifting on both but DDs were much nicer on the wallet..at least at the time they were..

DDs are very streetable on the softer settings.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:31 AM   #22
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

you hit your head because you are too damn tall get a freaking bucket with low rails to give you better head clearance. Jay and I want to switch over because we are used to the HEs stlye of handling and want something different. mainly better bound characteristics for me, HEs feel fine on rebound, but suck ass arscenic donkey balls on bound. IMO. besides, don't drive on super bumpy roads going as fast as you drive.

formerly sideviewcivic
AirBag Club Member #0014
Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 AM   #23
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

you hit your head because you are too damn tall get a freaking bucket with low rails to give you better head clearance. Jay and I want to switch over because we are used to the HEs stlye of handling and want something different. mainly better bound characteristics for me, HEs feel fine on rebound, but suck ass arscenic donkey balls on bound. IMO. besides, don't drive on super bumpy roads going as fast as you drive.hehe

formerly sideviewcivic
AirBag Club Member #0014