Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
snatch13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
snatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Sorry noob question

I have a 1995 240sx SE. I was wondering how you could tell if the car has LSD or not? I've been told by some people that all SE's came with LSD, but I was given the original pamphlet for the car and it says that ABS/LSD came together in a package and was optional on the base model and the SE.

Is there anyway to tell from the VIN, or looking at the diff? I did look but nothing really stood out and I wouldn't know the difference between a LSD diff and a non-LSD one. Can anyone help? Thanks.
snatch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
supportTHEezln
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
supportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud ofsupportTHEezln has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to supportTHEezln
if you pick up the rear end and spin one tire - if it has lsd both tires will spin same direction, if not, they'll spin opposite. i'm sure this is in faq though.
supportTHEezln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
snatch13
Zilvia Addict

snatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfectionsnatch13 is close to perfection
alright thanks... i used the search and google, and didnt find an answer... im not a noob to forums where i dont search... trust me i hate that as much as the next guy... but i couldnt find an answer...
Old 08-05-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
more fun way to test: bring up the revs, pop the clutch and peel out.

look at your tire marks

1 tire mark = open diff
2 tire marks = vlsd
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Best way to verify, open the hood, look for the ABS actuator. Easier than jacking the car up or driving it like an ass. Unless it's a Canadian model you should have both.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
Sil-Abc
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (13)
Sil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sil-Abc
if not i kno someone thats selling a vlsd
Old 08-05-2005, 06:47 AM   #7
snatch13
Zilvia Addict

thanks for the help... I'm pretty sure the car doesn't have it... so sil-abc, want to hook me up with your friend? what is the lsd out of? let me know
Old 08-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #8
JuJuBee
Zilvia Member

JuJuBee is an unknown quantity at this point
by the way a vlsd works, if you spin it while the car is jacked up, its still going to act like an open diff

the fluid hasnt heated up and expanded yet...
JuJuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #9
TheTimanator
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
TheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r
more fun way to test: bring up the revs, pop the clutch and peel out.

look at your tire marks

1 tire mark = open diff
2 tire marks = vlsd
also...this does not always work. With my open diff, if i dumped the clutch in a straight line i would get 2 marks about 25% of the time. Also, my current VLSD doesn't always lock when i launch
Old 08-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #10
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Hmmm, guess I was wrong Collin. I thought that the SE's all had lsd...Oh well...Hey, I can help you install one since I just did mone 2 weeks ago...

Isn't there a sticker in the LSD too? Or is that just for S13's?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
snatch13
Zilvia Addict

theres supposedly an orange sticker on the pumpkin, but after 10 years i would think that may not stay on... im going to take off the back cover of the diff and find out for sure in a little while...

also, does anyone know where the ABS acutator would be? I would assume by the brake fluid?? or not...
Old 08-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #12
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatch13
theres supposedly an orange sticker on the pumpkin, but after 10 years i would think that may not stay on... im going to take off the back cover of the diff and find out for sure in a little while...

also, does anyone know where the ABS acutator would be? I would assume by the brake fluid?? or not...
The VLSD sticker on mine is still there. When au doing this Collin, I could help. It;s not just as easy as taking the rear cover off. You have to pull the whole LSD out. Unless S14's diff's are different, which I don't think they are.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
snatch13
Zilvia Addict

well hopefully ill get to it tonight... but maybe ill wait since im driving it to chicago tomorrow... if i do it tonight ill call you...