Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
borg warner turbos vs the garrett gt series

made a new thread for this discussion.

there was a comparison of an s256 vs a gt30r.

the main point i'd like to know for my own benefit

does a borg warner s262 spool faster and make more power than a gt35r?

let the research begin lol

Dave
Old 05-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
spanishricer
Zilvia Junkie

spanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfection
I'll go ahead and post the link to the original comparison between the GT3076R and S256 in this thread as well.

Comparison

I don't think anybody has done a back to back with the GT35R and S262 yet. I would think the results would be similar though.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
thx man. i'm off to a bbq, but after, unless someone does it before i do. let's at least post the two compressor map graphs of both of the turbo's. then we'll be able to see the efficiency ranges as well as the lb/minute of air flow they produce.

thx spanish =]

i would like to know the facts and not go on what i've heard or what someone else has heard before i spend $1000+ on a hairdryer lol.

pardon my brief laziness on research for the time being but this is a good topic of discussion imo

Dave =]
Old 05-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Grenade180sx
HOLSET SON.

amazing for the cost.

hx35 is twin scroll and will flow same airflow as a 35r with faster spool. theres dyno sheet around here sumwhere. i gotta find it again.
Grenade180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
spanishricer
Zilvia Junkie

spanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfectionspanishricer is close to perfection
Here's a couple of good threads I found comparing the GT35R and S362.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turb...p-3582hta.html

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f169...r-s362-430382/

Here is a compressor map I found on some forums for the S362 with extended tip technology.

Here is the compressor map for the GT35R from Garrett's website.

All in all, there's not a lot of hard data on the S362 turbo yet. Seems every time somebody posts up that they bought the turbo, something else goes wrong on their setup and they never get around to posting numbers.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
The Borg Warner turbos were made to fit into import drag racing inlet size restrictions. kinda like precisions Pro-mod turbos for mustangs and stuff. hence the extended tip and huge Exducer with the smallish inducer, it should make better power than a comparatively sized Garrett, but usually the closet matched garret just runs a bigger inlet size which trumps the theoretical power advantage the borg warner should have.

The S256 has a smaller inducer than the 3076 and a slightly smaller exducer than the 3582 and a pretty massive exhaust wheel.

You can see on the honda tech thing that the GT made power earlier with a bigger housing than the BW, but the BW made the same power. I bet if you ran the boost up more into the 25-30 range the BW would have more of an advantage, but then again the 30R makes serious power at those levels.

It costs almost as much as the GT and isn't ball bearing.

I'd go Garrett GT, I bet the BW feels doggy like a non ball bearing garrett to drive.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

thx for the maps @ spanish. i'm gonna plot my mass flow and manifold pressure needed to reach my hp goals on my ka, then plot them on the maps. maybe i'll use paintbrush. then i can basically see at what rpm each will hit full boost at. then i will know which turbo will spool faster. thx again fellas =]

Dave