Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Odysseus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Odysseus is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
For those of you who have done PBM Solid Subframe Risers...

What kind of epoxy did you use to install the new bushings? Im looking for brands here...

What exactly did you have to do to the E-Brake cables? The PBM forum thread thing about the risers just says "blah blah blah bend shit and shit"...Nothing precise.

Did you have to smash the unibody at all to clear anything?

My shits ready to go and my risers show up tomorrow so Im looking to figure these small things out so it goes back in smoothly with no bullshit. Thanks!
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #2
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
you could try the pbm site they've got topics on it
upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
Epoxy? There solid bushings dude. Just bolt it back to the car.
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Its recommended by PBM to use an epoxy when you put the risers in. I just used JB Weld - its a two part epoxy.

As far as e-brake cables go, I am pretty sure you just have to bend the brackets and make sure its all bolted up before you put the subframe back up. I tried to do it after the fact because I miss read the suggestions online and my e-brake sucks ass - so I'm ripping it out and doing a hydro e-brake like I wanted anyway.

Also, you will have to clearance the area above your RUCA a little. You can use a sledge hammer, or saw, or whatever, just make sure you beat it up like .5 to 1".

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
anton1o
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
anton1o is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to anton1o
Didnt put an epoxy in mine, dropped then in and bolted it all up!

Altho im about a year off from driving the car, so i may end up putting something in, See how we go i guess!

anton1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Rag
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Rag is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rag
I've done two s13 and one s14 riser installs. I used generic 2part epoxy. Emergency brake cables did not need to be moved on any of the three i have done.
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Odysseus
Zilvia Addict

Odysseus is an unknown quantity at this point
Ill grab some JB weld today then. Thank you very much!

I guess Ill see how I gotta bend the brackets when I go at it...Same with the RUCA area.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Yeah JB them..... Sucks ass if they are sliding out and your trying to align and bolt them in. Pissed me off.....
Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Yeah JB them..... Sucks ass if they are sliding out and your trying to align and bolt them in. Pissed me off.....
he hit the nail on the head... you dont have to use the epoxy, it's merely for ease of installation. the brand of epoxy really doesn't matter, so long as it's an "epoxy". it doesnt have to hold any longer than to keep your holes centered. once it's installed, it isn't going anywhere anyway.
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I used JB weld on my S13, and I had to remove the clamps for the e-brake cables and move them to the sides of the drivshaft hump. Otherwise my cables would have been smashed.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
i didnt use epoxy, and u just gotta work those ebrake lines real quick.

shit is EASY
Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
KansaiDrifter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
KansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud ofKansaiDrifter has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
i didnt use epoxy, and u just gotta work those ebrake lines real quick.

shit is EASY
+1, didn't bother with epoxy, it just squeezes back out anyway, it's a damn near perfect fit. I just bent the brackets a little bit, simply make sure they don't get pinched between the subframe and the chassis. The subframe wants to be pretty close to level when reinstalling also.
KansaiDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
you don't have to bend the end-link brackets. There is a little lip by where the wheel well/inner fender goes to the body. It's like the lip in the front fender but lower and more in. You have to cut/hammer/remove/bend/w.e to get more room. You don't want your arms to be hitting that as the suspension compresses. I'd say cut a small slit and then fold them over inwards, clean them first though so they dont rust and then some caulking/sealant over the seam so water doesn't get caught in there and rust.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
tims05
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
tims05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Rag if im in any need of help, ill be callin on u
tims05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #15
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
eklips3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Which jb weld did you guys use ?
There is the red/black package and the blue/yellow pack.

Or does it even matter ?

1992 240sx (RB20. 362whp@16psi)
eklips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
They say to put them in the freezer for a couple hours before installing them. They also say to use an epoxy.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of my subframe moving even the little bit that a slip-fit would let it.

Just use a little epoxy. It can't hurt and it's not like you're going to need to take the risers back out.

BTW, I filed the lips of the bushing holes all the way around, and they dropped right in, zero pushing or scraping.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #18
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
It the subframe is going to move past the proper tq epoxy stands no chance.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
EnjukuBG
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
EnjukuBG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've never seen anyone put epoxy on solid subframe bushings. The reason you put them in the freezer is because aluminum shrinks a tiny bit. Hammer them in, then heat them up and they expand a tiny bit. That suckers are in really tight. But I guess epoxy couldn't hurt? I've just never done it, or seen anyone do it.
EnjukuBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
chaseSR86
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
chaseSR86 is making a name for him/her selfchaseSR86 is making a name for him/her selfchaseSR86 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i used jb weld, and i just ran the ebrake lines through the subframe holes still. I had to cut some of the protective sleeve on the cable so it would slide through again. super easy.
chaseSR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Wait what? I have the PBM risers, I never needed to freeze them, they just slide right in. Its a perfect fit, just the pain in the ass part is keeping them there. Truthfully I would have gorilla glued, epoxy, JBWeld that crap in there next time. The bolt holes are very precise and the bolts, in the chassis are tapered to help the entire frame slide in correctly....

I spend more time trying to keep those things in while sliding the subframe into the chassis than the whole job of burning crap out, taking out the subframe etc.... Just easier to keep them in place.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
It the subframe is going to move past the proper tq epoxy stands no chance.
Yeahhhhhh, except it just fills in the extremely small gap between the bushing and the subframe, and it's as hard as steel, so.....

Plus it keeps them in place when you're putting the subframe back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjukuBG View Post
I've never seen anyone put epoxy on solid subframe bushings. The reason you put them in the freezer is because aluminum shrinks a tiny bit. Hammer them in, then heat them up and they expand a tiny bit. That suckers are in really tight. But I guess epoxy couldn't hurt? I've just never done it, or seen anyone do it.
PSM risers are slip-fit, not press fit like others. They slide right in by hand.

Oh and also, if you're doing this by yourself, you might want to have a hammer of some kind. Keeping the subframe super level is hard, so you'll probably bind on different studs, but a good wack now and then and everything will go right in.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
I farted...
Old 01-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #24
nickauger
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
nickauger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
PBM subframe riser are not press fit so you must use epoxy...
nickauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
drifter92
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
drifter92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickauger View Post
PBM subframe riser are not press fit so you must use epoxy...
+1, what he said... The PBM bushings are not a press fit, they have a tiny bit of wiggle room in the subframe slots, so if you don't use epoxy to fill the small gap there will be some vibration and possibly a little play.

I just took out my press fit STANCE bushings to install PBM risers and the STANCE bushings have to be hammered in or out but the PBM bushings fall in and fall out without pushing or pulling, thats why you use epoxy or JB Weld.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter92 View Post
+1, what he said... The PBM bushings are not a press fit, they have a tiny bit of wiggle room in the subframe slots, so if you don't use epoxy to fill the small gap there will be some vibration and possibly a little play.

I just took out my press fit STANCE bushings to install PBM risers and the STANCE bushings have to be hammered in or out but the PBM bushings fall in and fall out without pushing or pulling, thats why you use epoxy or JB Weld.
I honestly don't remember if I used adhesive when I did mine. But, if there really is play that big.... Wouldn't the JB weld/adhesive eventually deteriorate after all the Ozone exposure and vibration?
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #27
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
That's why the SPL ones are so rad. They press in an you don't have to worry about shit like vibration or falling out.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #28
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
That's why the SPL ones are so rad. They press in an you don't have to worry about shit like vibration or falling out.
went in like a jail rape. nice and tight
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #29
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
What exactly did you have to do to the E-Brake cables? The PBM forum thread thing about the risers just says "blah blah blah bend shit and shit"...Nothing precise.
I have mine raised and did literally nothing. Ebrake cables are fine. I'm on SPL bushings but they do the same thing. The tower on the subframe for the traction rod mount is close to the unibody but they don't interfere.
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #30
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
touge factory installed my pbm risers without epoxy smfh

i ended up taking the subframe out and redoing the installation because of this

there was DEFINITELY movement occurring and wear was visible on the bushings

imgur: the simple image sharer
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote