Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
colombianbryan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
colombianbryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
flywheels and clutches?

im planning to go after market with my flywheel but i dont know where to start?going with an act 10.5lb or act 14.1lb. not sure whats the difference in feel from the stock flywheel. im using this car as a daily driver. im also planning of using a spec stage 2 clutch combo.
which do most people prefer and should i get a different clutch.
its for a s14 sr20det and im only going for around 290hp nothing crazy. just some daily fun power
colombianbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
colombianbryan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
colombianbryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
anybody??? whats the best combo?????
colombianbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
guitaraholic
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
guitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think the flame throwers are going to point in your direction, and tell you to search, but before they do, I'll give you my take.

Last year I put in an ACT 10.5lb flywheel (got it for $250 NEW), and a stage 4.5 competition clutch. Yes, you will notice the difference. Here is what you will/should notice

-----FLYWHEEL-----
---1st & 2nd gear acceleration increased

---A blip of the throttle and your rpms go up a bit faster

---when starting off its a lot easier to stall. It took me some time getting use to it. It doesn't bother me anymore, though I have on occasion still stalled it out. But let someone else drive it and they will stall it out like they are first learning to drive a standard. I have a fellow 240 owner try to drive mine and stalled it the first 3 times before getting it going. The clutch didn't help matters.

---You need to be faster between shifts because the RPMs do drop quite a bit faster

A stage two clutch isnt bad, I have a 6-puck that is half ceramic/half Kevlar, and it is a bit rough to drive. I have gotten use to it, but definatly takes some more brain power to use. I think a stage two still uses an organic or kevlar friction disk, so I think you will be ok. I think with 290hp, you will be maxing out the stage 2, especially on cold days when you are making more power, and when you are getting into it, and heating up the clutch.

So from a personal standpoint, I would say do it, if you already have it apart.

Also,, you may here things like, increased noise and less mpg. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference. My clutch was also about 4lbs (at least) lighter than stock, so I lost a total of 13lbs of rotational mass, and you can really tell on the low gears.
guitaraholic is offline   Reply With Quote