Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-02-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
JimmyJames

Trader Rating: (0)
JimmyJames is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Built SR20 or RB25

Ok, so right now I have a mostly stock SR20 (FMIC, exhaust, EBC, etc.) in my 240. I like the power output so far but I'm definitely looking to get more in the future. Recently, a local SR240 guy parted out his car, leaving his built S13 Blacktop SR20DET for sale. It's got the FP big28 turbo, JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, CP forged aluminum pistons, JGY high flow fuel rail, MSD 72lbs/hr injectors, HKS intake/exhaust camshafts, head job, balanced welded trued knife edged crankshaft, etc. tons more shit. It's just been rebuilt with all new bearings, rings, seals, and gaskets. Current setup gets a claimed 320whp. The reason I like this is it has everything I had planned on doing to my motor and I'd be paying about half the price as I would if I did it all myself.

For the same price as the built SR20, I can get an S13 hatch with a stock RB25DET. Advantages here is huge upgradability (sr20's uggradability (sp?) is good, but 500whp on a 2.5 I6 would be sooo much more usable), the fact that this engine is actually in a car, so I could swap it into mine, and sell the shell and extras and make a little bit of money back.

I'm really torn here, I love my SR20, and would love a built SR20, but the RB is just so tempting. I'm leaning towards the SR, but IDK, what do you all think?
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
what the hell do you want 500hp for in a 2700lb car for? the RB isn't like some supra motor that only makes huge peak numbers. it creates useable torque and you'd be under 10's super easily which is retarded for a daily driver. its excessive and that much power with a nose heavy, RWD, car is stupid.

not to mention the fact that you already KNOW what you're going to do and probably just wanted to make an early claim to a built JDM tyte SR.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #3
Sil Beer S13
Zilvia FREAK!

Sil Beer S13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sil Beer S13
500 is way to much for a daily. You should be happy with 350-400 wheel HP. WTF do you need 500HP for?
Sil Beer S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:37 PM   #4
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinS13
500 is way to much for a daily. You should be happy with 350-400 wheel HP. WTF do you need 500HP for?
pride and bragging rights!
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Quote:
the RB isn't like some supra motor that only makes huge peak numbers. it creates useable torque
LOL..........
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
I'd stick with the SR, a lot more aftermarket support, a lot easier to find replacement parts if something breaks and you can put out some pretty good numbers with that.

The RB is more for bragging rights and yes, stock SR to stock RB, the RB is faster but comes at the price of having a nose heavy car that has a hard time cornering. Plus finding parts is harder... But the sound of a turbo inline 6 is awesome. I sat in a lightly tuned R33 GTS-T and it was pretty sweet.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:23 PM   #7
Sil Beer S13
Zilvia FREAK!

Sil Beer S13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sil Beer S13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_240sx
I knew it! GHEY!!
Sil Beer S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 12:01 AM   #8
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
iono bout you guys. but i'd go RB over sr, ka, ca or any other 4 cylinder anyday in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:06 AM   #9
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot
iono bout you guys. but i'd go RB over sr, ka, ca or any other 4 cylinder anyday in a heartbeat.
Definitely agreed. If I had the money,I'd take an RB without thinking another quarter of a second about it.
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:12 AM   #10
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZK
The RB is more for bragging rights and yes, stock SR to stock RB, the RB is faster but comes at the price of having a nose heavy car that has a hard time cornering.

Geeez, I swear, this misconception gets tossed around sooo much its not even funny.

Yes, the rb is heavier than the sr and the ka...obviously. But it isnt by the huge amount of weight that everyone and their mom swears it is.

If you want, just relocate your battery to the trunk and if you're extreeeeemely picky, remove your A/C. There, weight distribution "problem" solved.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:36 AM   #11
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
no A/C ? what the hell kind of "solution" is that? sounds pretty retarded to me. still the battery is like 25 lbs... and the AC weighs 175?... uhm... sure thing bucko.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:04 AM   #12
sciamop
Zilvia Member

sciamop is making a name for him/her selfsciamop is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
the RB isn't like some supra motor that only makes huge peak numbers. it creates useable torque and you'd be under 10's super easily...
A MKIV Supra @ 500hp would hardly be a dyno queen. You're right, though RB25det != 2JZGTE. Maybe you confused the Toyota JZ with a Honda B-series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZK
but comes at the price of having a nose heavy car that has a hard time cornering.
I've seen/heard too much of this argument. "You'll ruin your car by adding 105lbs to the engine bay!" Come on, it's a full-sized car not a go-kart. And if you are some kind of 50/50 nazi, throw MakotoS13's body (or some other form of ballast) in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJames
For the same price as the built SR20, I can get an S13 hatch with a stock RB25DET. Advantages here is huge upgradability
Stock reliability and driveability would be nice, too -- EBC + intake + exhaust, of course. More complex to install into the S13 and less availability of parts...

Todd
90 Coupe
93 Coupe
sciamop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:32 AM   #13
killjoy
Zilvia Member

killjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to killjoy
I know this turned into a rb vs. sr thread, but back to your original question, I would take the rb in this case only because the FP Big 28 is a piece of shit.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #14
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
no A/C ? what the hell kind of "solution" is that? sounds pretty retarded to me. still the battery is like 25 lbs... and the AC weighs 175?... uhm... sure thing bucko.
hence the reason i said if you're extreeemely picky. Cuz honestly you really dont have to. But some people are on this trip that the rb25 weighs soooo much. So for those people, let them take out their a/c if it makes them feel better.Taking out your a/c is stupid, but they're stupid for thinking that the rb25 is that much heavier. Stupid solutions for people who believe stupid things.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:38 PM   #15
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
err, if you take 50lbs (battery and AC) out of the front you are eveningout the distibution preyy good if the RB is only 105lbs heavier.. that 25 lb battery adds 25lbs to the rear...

anyways, who cares.

RB = more powerful, trickier to maintain
SR = less powerful (but still fast) and easier to maintain

if this is your second car, or you have lots of money go RB. if you daily drive it stay SR. problem solved
Old 12-03-2004, 06:20 PM   #16
SoCalS14
Zilvia Junkie

SoCalS14 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Send a message via AIM to SoCalS14
Get the RB and let me have the SR fellas number!

New Project: 240Z w/ SR
SoCalS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:36 PM   #17
silviasichigo
Zilvia Addict

silviasichigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Well it is totally up to you what you want to do but My friend has a RB25det in his 88 s-13 I have driven several times and wel lthe feeling of the weight shift is is no different than my own 88 S-13. His RB is tuned to about 340hp and my SR (S13) is tuned to about 380hp he is not faster at all but he just can't drive. they are both balanced well and handle well.
silviasichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:58 PM   #18
yellow_jacket
Leaky Injector

yellow_jacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Do whatever makes you happy and whatever will fit your budget.

I've got a SR powered S13 coupe. It's fun, it's quick, it corners well, stops well and is reliable. I originally bought it thinking I would road race it. I never got around to it and don't have the money to do it.

I am now building a RB25 powered S14. I figure I will have the chance to go to the drag strip. It's much cheaper, a lot of fun, and I don't think the weight issue is anything to worry about in the first place.

Here is a link to a S14 with a RB20 and a S13 with a RB25. They both weigh about 2,700 lbs. Read for more details.

http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=84669
yellow_jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:11 PM   #19
MakotoS13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciamop
A MKIV Supra @ 500hp would hardly be a dyno queen. You're right, though RB25det != 2JZGTE. Maybe you confused the Toyota JZ with a Honda B-series?
ask a supra OWNER who's honest about the car. its easy to get big HP numbers out of a supra but how easy to get em running times to match such insane horsepower? if you see an 800 hp mustang you better believe it's hittin 9's or 8's. ask the guy with the supra on this board. he'll readily admit the dynoqueen status of the car.

Quote:
I've seen/heard too much of this argument. "You'll ruin your car by adding 105lbs to the engine bay!" Come on, it's a full-sized car not a go-kart. And if you are some kind of 50/50 nazi, throw MakotoS13's body (or some other form of ballast) in the trunk.
what sucks is i'm probably the only one who got this incredibly clever slam. i'm almost impressed. good job though.

oh yeah, i didn't say it'd ruin it. put a 351 in it and build a great... DRAG car.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #20
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
Don't give yourself too much credit, you're not the only one who noticed it. However, calling it 'incredibly clever' is bit of a stretch, unless there is some inside joke behind it.

Oh, and I would stick with the sr. The extra cost and weight of an rb isn't worth it to me, but then again, it's not my choice.
axiomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:03 AM   #21
sciamop
Zilvia Member

sciamop is making a name for him/her selfsciamop is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrindley
Don't give yourself too much credit, you're not the only one who noticed it. However, calling it 'incredibly clever' is bit of a stretch, unless there is some inside joke behind it.
Can someone *please* post the nightvision picture of MakatoS13 holding the goosehead shifter? Next to Andrew (I'm Driftaholic) laying on the shop floor in his 'County' orange jumpsuit, this is my favorite zilvia.net image!

And not to make this post completely OT, I like the stock-ish SR20 (intake + exhaust). 210hp feels very well matched to the chassis. Especially for daily driving. To the original poster: if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Todd
90 Coupe
93 Coupe
sciamop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:32 AM   #22
MakotoS13
BANNED

HAHA IT'S NOT A FUHREAKING GOOSHEAD!

i guess i just got creative with your slam. ya know how submarines use air tanks sorta as ballasts? = i'm a loud mouth jackass.

who am i kiddin? its just a guilty conscience.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:42 AM   #23
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
uhhh...supras can be very capable at making useable torque

stop reading super street and look into the fact...supras are called dyno queens when they make around....1000 hp

then yes, they hit their peak just before their RPM's hit 5 digits (exaggeration of course)
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:54 AM   #24
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_240sx
This is why I have a quote from Dave Colman as my sig.

I would go (or stick with) the SR because,

1) you have it

2) read my sig.

But it all really boils down to what do you want to do w/ the car.

I'm not to sure about this but from what I've read about the RB is its not the engine that's so heavy it's the tranny, so the weight will be more tword the middle (front) of your car so balist would need to be placed some where around the middle (rear). So you can have a well ballanced RB, but who really needs all that power. I mean come on now. Are you really going to *need* it?
driftyour40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:27 AM   #25
MakotoS13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainevent212
uhhh...supras can be very capable at making useable torque

stop reading super street and look into the fact...supras are called dyno queens when they make around....1000 hp
superstreet? apparently you're the one reading too many ricer rags. this is direct from supra-dome. ask the guy on here with the 3rd lightest supra on the planet. his car HAULS and he'll readily admit that most supra owners shoot for max horsepower before any kind of track goal.

i never said they couldn't. there are some legitimate fast supras out there but for the most part every TT on the road that people fix up is a dyno/highway queen which isn't appealing to me at all.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #26
2JZGTE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 2JZGTE Send a message via MSN to 2JZGTE
I'll agree with Makoto to a certain extent. A majority of the mkiv supras out there are not driven like 240s are driven (hard in the turns). They can very easily hit high numbers, and run good laptimes and dragtimes, but it's simply the owners who aren't quite as hardcore. Supra owners like to leave their cars at 3500lbs with subwoofers, cellphone holders etc. Their excuse for weight is "just add power."

Well, these same owners are more into cruising around on the weekends and picking up girls. They enjoy their supra because it handles as much power as you can muster, while at the same time having A/C and being a combination of luxury and sports. I can understand this idea because it's always nice to have, but my goals are different from nearly every other supra owner, hence the AC removal and weight reductions/HP limit/anti-drag anti-drift setup. I could care less if my GF is going to complain about the heat.

A lot of 1000rwhp supras are dynoqueens, but there are also some 1000rwhp supras that have that much power because they run 8s and 9s in the quarter. As far as usable torque, mine has about 460torque and 480hp, to the wheels.

Back on topic though, the RB could be an awesome engine. It's all on your goals. What are you going to be using the car for? If I did the RB, I would definately lighten the shit out of it and keep the power below 400rwhp

Billy

R35 GT-R, R32 GT-R, Supra, S13, S14, FD3S
2JZGTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #27
2JZGTE
Zilvia Junkie

2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 2JZGTE Send a message via MSN to 2JZGTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftyour40

But it all really boils down to what do you want to do w/ the car.

Exactly. Always think about this if you're confused about your car

R35 GT-R, R32 GT-R, Supra, S13, S14, FD3S
2JZGTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #28
yellow_jacket
Leaky Injector

yellow_jacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Just like he said. It's your car. Do what you want. Just realize the ups and downs of what you do.

If you build a high hp car, it will more than likely have traction and lag issues. It will be great on a drag strip, but not very easy to run as a daily driver.

If you go with a lower hp car, it will have great response, be a great daily driver, and do well on roadcoarses and autocross etc.

Do you really need either one? Absolutely not. You don't need to upgrade the car at all to get around. So it all comes back to what you want to do with the car. Is it your daily driver? Drag car? Autocross? Roadcoarse? Just figure out what you want to do with it.

For me, a 450rwhp RB25 is what I want. I know what it is and how it will drive. It will be my daily driver and my drag car. More than a few people on this board think that is stupid, that is their opinion. Just do what makes you happy.
yellow_jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:20 PM   #29
Drunk Bastard
Zilvia FREAK!

Drunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Drunk Bastard
I'd say keep your current car SR powered. AND also buy that s13 with the RB in it. So in the end you would have two cars and both motors. No more losing sleep over which motor to get....so get em both!
Drunk Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:50 PM   #30
mbmbmb23
Zilvia Contributor

Trader Rating: (1)
mbmbmb23 is on the path to ruinmbmbmb23 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why not get the RB, keep your AC, move the battery to the trunk, and get a CF hood....and if thats not enough get some fiberglass fenders.

-m