Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
hurleyboi514 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hurleyboi514
well, its the off-season now...

...so what do you have planned? well, im gonna continue running DSP. id like to switch my current set up concerning tires though. im gonna sell the wheels ive got (as much as i love these DT05R's) and go to a non staggered set up. 245 F&R on slicks and probably a 225 F&R for the street. that should help alot i hope. ive just had such a hard time getting the car to rotate this year. other than that, the car is almost maxed out for mods in DSP. i can still change the intake manifold, but good luck finding one for the KA. i think ill just get my stock one ported and polished. then, maybe ill give the body some attention. ive got two fenders and a bumper that need to be replaced from minor "incidents." id like to fixed the body work, give it a fresh coat of paint, install the lip and side skirts again, then perhaps switch to a kouki wing. yum... so what have you guys got planned??

HighTach Motorsports
hurleyboi514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Replicant_S14
Zilvia Junkie

Replicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleyboi514
...so what do you have planned?
I'm sticking with STX for next season. On fresh tires I can run with the wrxs and itrs so I figure it's a good fit for me and my car. The car is under-prepared for the class so I plan on swaping the agx/WL combo for coilovers to get a little more ride height. I also plan to add a header and hi-flow in front of the cat-back. I don't really expect anything out of it. It's just because OE system is so beat. Tires? I'm totally up in the air about tires right now.
Rules of Boozing #10: Do not make eye contact with the bartender if you do not want a drink.
Replicant_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
for you auto-x guys , do you know any 240 guys that run stiff rear springs that are equal in rate or stiffer than the fronts?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
Rennen
Zilvia Addict

Rennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enough
For this off season, I am going to start my looooong (2+years) DSP buildup.

I will start phase 1: just like new. I first plan on swapping in the spare motor I have sitting around and start the slow rebuild of the old one. Then I am addressing the brakes with new pads/rotors. After that it is Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings all around and some Whiteline sways with SPL endlinks.

Then I will see if I can save enough money for coilovers by the summer. At which point I will be past the limits of the 205/50/15 R comps I keep getting from my friends who race hondas, so I will update/backdate to 5 lug hubs and look for some 300ZX TT wheels to run some 245s on.

I will finally have a good paying job here in January, so some of this is actually possible!

-Matt

'89 Nissan 240SX fastback: #23 DSP/RallyMod2/Track Slut
'95 BMW 540i 6 speed: Ultimate Commuting Machine

PFM Racing
www.solo2.org
www.midwest240sx.com
Rennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Replicant_S14
Zilvia Junkie

Replicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboroughpimp
.... do you know any 240 guys that run stiff rear springs that are equal in rate or stiffer than the fronts?
No, but I'm one of only a couple 240s that run regularly around here.
Rules of Boozing #10: Do not make eye contact with the bartender if you do not want a drink.
Replicant_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
Thanks..sorry about the hijack. Well now that it's the off season, you guys can all look forward to driving around in the canyons and keeping your skills sharp for next season.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
This is what I planned:

1. Emptying the car:

2. Test fit the roll cage:

But, I am also planning on sway bars, relocating the battery, getting wider front tires and maybe another set of wheels.
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
HaLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:15 PM   #8
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboroughpimp
Thanks..sorry about the hijack. Well now that it's the off season, you guys can all look forward to driving around in the canyons and keeping your skills sharp for next season.
Or for many/most of us, driving around in the snow and ice keeping your skills REALLY sharp!

I'm planning on a seat and some sway bars. Possibly just a new rear and new bushings for the OEM front and save the rest towards an LSD.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

nrcooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nrcooled
Ryan - what do you need a seat for :lol:

I plan to keep the car as is and just keep going to HPDEs. I am the slowest thing in my car right now
Old 11-30-2004, 10:30 PM   #10
Thrill Capsule
Leaky Injector

Thrill Capsule is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Thrill Capsule
I want to stick with DSP as well, my car is way under prepared though.
So hopefully i can catch up with mods and whatnot. First up is deffinatly tires 225f 245r. After that who knows, I need to replace my blown shocks so hopefully coilovers. We shall see what money yields
Old 11-30-2004, 10:33 PM   #11
SlideStar
Zilvia Junkie

SlideStar is an unknown quantity at this point
It's all about foot work this winter! new tie rods and control arms and sub frame spacers. maybe a relocating the battery project too....
SlideStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:41 AM   #12
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

nice cage HaLo.... more pix0rs?? im probably just gonna go with a 4 point, maybe ill go with a 6 though.

btw, im gonna try and 8/7 spring set up next year to see if i can get the car to rotate more...

HighTach Motorsports
Old 12-01-2004, 09:45 AM   #13
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
Yeah, I do have some more...

http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/IMG_0705.JPG
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/IMG_0706.JPG
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/IMG_0707.JPG
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/IMG_0709.JPG
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/IMG_0710.JPG
http://www.apaspeed.com/oktay/IMG_0713.JPG

The harness bar / cross-bar is not installed.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:28 PM   #14
Zilvia Addict

019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 019
get nicer coilovers (probably kts/spl parts) and maybe a header. money isn't exactly coming in at this point, so i'll have to see. altho the season isn't over yet. got at least 1 more event this saturday and maybe, if i feel like going, another one of sunday

hurleyboi514 - i'm curious, did you go to a 24 hrs autox in winston-salem a few months ago? i remember seeing an hatch there, but not sure if it was you or not
019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:07 PM   #15
jmauld
Zilvia Junkie

jmauld is making a name for him/her selfjmauld is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jmauld
I've been running DSP this past year.

I just added a header, and I plan to rebuild the front control arms with poly bushings, install the 4pt bar that I have, and try to open up the intake path some. I'm also switching from 15x6.5 rims with 205's to 15x8's with 225's. Other then that, I may just work on making the car lighter.

I wish someone would come out with an intake manifold and also I'd like to see some independent dyno results of the EMS.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:31 PM   #16
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 019
hurleyboi514 - i'm curious, did you go to a 24 hrs autox in winston-salem a few months ago? i remember seeing an hatch there, but not sure if it was you or not
yah, i was there... white car, black hatch, cool autox wheels! i think i had the aero parts off then. i ended up taking second, and i left at midnight. i wasn't doing very well that day. my mind was elsewhere (girlfriend was moving down the next weekend from chicago.) my fastest un-scored run would have won DSP by like a second and a half! oh well...

HaLo, that really encourage's me to get a cage. it looks like it fits very well. i think i may go with just a 4 point instead. maybe, ill add the rest if its not enough.

HighTach Motorsports
Old 12-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #17
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

fits well, if you forget that:
1. the sunvisors won't close properly
2. the map lights need to be removed
3. the glovebox won't open

Take that out, it fits like a glove.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #18
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcooled
Ryan - what do you need a seat for :lol:
Man, those Evo seats have trumped my fabbing ability! I still have them, my friend Ken and I are looking into possibly using them in his next project.. whatever car we put them in will probably be one where we can re-use the Mitsubishi sliders and just replace or reorient the little mounting tabs, rather than try to mount these seats to different sliders.

A full bucket better fits the goals of my S13 anyway.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:02 AM   #19
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo
fits well, if you forget that:
1. the sunvisors won't close properly
2. the map lights need to be removed
3. the glovebox won't open

Take that out, it fits like a glove.
well, lets see...
1. sunvisors are gone (then went with the headliner )
2. map lights are gone (same reason)
3. i could need my glove box though, i put my SAFC II in it at night. i wonder i could use that as an excuse when i get a ticket though. "officer, i can't reach my registration..."

yah, i think ill go with the 4 point for now, then if i want, ill get someone to customize a front section so it fits a little better.

HighTach Motorsports
Old 12-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #20
Hikarispeed
Leaky Injector

Hikarispeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hikarispeed Send a message via Yahoo to Hikarispeed
What tires and size is everyone using for the DSP class for an S13?

I'm planning on getting Khumo V700 225/50/16. I could fit 245/45/16 on my 16x8 but will most likely need spacers, but would I be able to get enough heat into the tires with this size?

Another choice is just getting Khumo MX 225/50/16 and using the extra money for a diff.
Hikarispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:22 PM   #21
Zilvia Addict

019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 019
Quote:
yah, i was there... white car, black hatch, cool autox wheels! i think i had the aero parts off then. i ended up taking second, and i left at midnight. i wasn't doing very well that day. my mind was elsewhere (girlfriend was moving down the next weekend from chicago.) my fastest un-scored run would have won DSP by like a second and a half! oh well...
ah, the fact that you didn't have the aero parts threw me off. i saw the dt05-r's and just drooled, haha. i did extraordinarily bad that day cuz my es100's were more won that i thought they were, haha. after the first 12 hrs, times were getting higher and the car would just understeer like maaaad... had so much fun tho, haha.
019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #22
Kreator
Nissanaholic!

Kreator will become famous soon enoughKreator will become famous soon enoughKreator will become famous soon enough
hah, my season aint over yet, suckas!

plans for the winter.... not sure, finish the rally-x car, find a nasa certified rally car... maybe fix some minor stuff with the 240sx which annoys me, but i'm just too lazy to do... but then snowboarding season is *almost* open around here, so chances are nothing major will happen Plus i lack a garage

oh, nad btw, bolt in roll cages = weaksauce. Spend the money, do it right.

кто болеет за Зенит, у того всегда стоит!
Kreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:35 PM   #23
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikarispeed
What tires and size is everyone using for the DSP class for an S13?

I'm planning on getting Khumo V700 225/50/16. I could fit 245/45/16 on my 16x8 but will most likely need spacers, but would I be able to get enough heat into the tires with this size?

Another choice is just getting Khumo MX 225/50/16 and using the extra money for a diff.
if your serious about autoxing, id get the slicks, you cant them. you can fit a 245 on there no problem, id go with them all around. i run 225F/245R, but i kinda wish i would have run an even size. i have mad understeer. if you only plan on going once in awhile, just get the MX's and then buy a diff or something.

HighTach Motorsports
Old 12-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #24
Hikarispeed
Leaky Injector

Quote:
if your serious about autoxing, id get the slicks, you cant them. you can fit a 245 on there no problem, id go with them all around. i run 225F/245R, but i kinda wish i would have run an even size. i have mad understeer. if you only plan on going once in awhile, just get the MX's and then buy a diff or something.
I'm going to do some serious autoxing. If I go slicks there's another dilemna mainly due to cost. Avons are cheaper than the Hoosiers for the 225 ($177 heat cycled Avons vs $184+$10 heat cycled per tire).

Avons don't come in 245 and the Hoosiers are $196+$10 each. 245's might now would come too close to my struts with a +35 offset. Might need a 10mm spacer and new wheel studs, a wild guess of another ~$100. Also a problem getting heat into those tires.

Avons and Hoosiers are worth the money over Kumhos, but are 245 worth the money over the 225?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #25
jmauld
Zilvia Junkie

jmauld is making a name for him/her selfjmauld is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jmauld
Hikari, if you don't already have the rims, you might want to consider a set of 15x8's. The tires will be cheaper, plus you'll get lower gearing which will translate to slightly better power to the ground. The only problem I see with that 15's is that you can't get a set of 245's
Old 12-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #26
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator

oh, nad btw, bolt in roll cages = weaksauce. Spend the money, do it right.
At 400C$, find me a better roll cage.

And tell me, why are bolt in roll so "weak"... ?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:46 PM   #27
thelinja
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
thelinja is making a name for him/her selfthelinja is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I planning on relocating my battery and making a custom short ram intake over Xmas break. I'd also like to remove the stock fan and get an electric one. Thicker sway bars and coilovers should finish it off. Hopefully I can be competitive in STX next year even if I don't get all of those items. I beat most of the STXer's when I was in GS this fall.
thelinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:48 PM   #28
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
In california...the off season drives you!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:52 PM   #29
hurleyboi514
Zilvia Addict

hmm, ok, id go with a 225 then... you might as well. its nice to get as big of a tire under there as you can, but rubbing issues will only slow you down. so, go for the 225's!!

HaLo, you only paid $400 CDN for that cage?? where'd you get it from??!

HighTach Motorsports
Old 12-02-2004, 08:02 PM   #30
Hikarispeed
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld
Hikari, if you don't already have the rims, you might want to consider a set of 15x8's. The tires will be cheaper, plus you'll get lower gearing which will translate to slightly better power to the ground. The only problem I see with that 15's is that you can't get a set of 245's
Alrighty I'll go with the 225 for this upcoming season.

I already have 16x8 +35 Advans. I might spend the little more money for the Hoosiers cause of the shorter tire than the Avons.

Looking forward til the upcoming season.