Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
CKAMC
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Info about Cali

Ok I have lived in Colorado and now live in Arizona and have always considered a move out to cali. i HEAR a lot about stuff out in cali like vans on the side of the road that do random emissions tests... is it true? Other than the DMV is it common that local car shops do emissions tests? how many times do you have to get your car *mainly s13* to get tested? I am trying to get the facts straight about cali so I thought I ask everyone here who ACUALLY live in cali.

Thanks for the info

Chris
Old 11-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You have to get your car tested once every two years by a authorized state emissions inspection center.

When you bring your car over, DMV and/or a ref will inspect it. So if you're boosting, forget about it.

SoCal is basically under the thumb of the SS, aka the Smog Nazi's, aka CARB and the CHP. NorCal is not as bad, but it can be, depending where you go.

The majority of the random smog testing vans are in SoCal.

SR20's (and JDM motors in general) will never ever pass smog period unless you know people. Even if it passes out of the pipe, it fails the visual portion for a variety of reasons. Same goes for boosted KA setups.

Cali sucks, don't move here
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
SilviaNinja240
Zilvia FREAK!

SilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enough
edit: I posted the same time you did w/that info. And can't delete post
Old 11-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
CKAMC
Post Whore!

CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
Basically if I find a ref thats cool and will pass me then I am ok unless i run into one of them vans... hmm yeah sounds like cali aint the way to go
Old 11-17-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
tew photy
Zilvia Member

tew photy is making a name for him/her selftew photy is making a name for him/her self
sounds bad, but i see tons of boosted cars running around up here in nor cal at least, can't be that hard...
tew photy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 PM   #6
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Keep your address, and say your out of state... =p How can they prove that you live here if you still have out of state address, license, insurance, registration and plates?
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:14 AM   #7
SilviaNinja240
Zilvia FREAK!

SilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enoughSilviaNinja240 will become famous soon enough
But i'm sure you'll have to go back and check your mail annually for tags or registration or something. I knew a guy that got a PO box in Oregon to get outa the smog loop here, but he had to go back every now and then to pick up the mail and DMV stuff.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:27 AM   #8
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
Where in California are you trying to move to? If you move to Northern California you have almost no worries.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
sr240mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:00 AM   #9
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
norcal ignorance is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuo
You have to get your car tested once every two years by a authorized state emissions inspection center.

When you bring your car over, DMV and/or a ref will inspect it. So if you're boosting, forget about it.

SoCal is basically under the thumb of the SS, aka the Smog Nazi's, aka CARB and the CHP. NorCal is not as bad, but it can be, depending where you go.

yup snip happpens.........

Cali sucks, don't move here
hahahhahhaha you speak very ignorantly about the southland. dude get a clue there are not a lot of random smog testing vans rolling in socal in fact the only place those things have ever been seen is out at the street races in orange county and glen oaks boulevard in Sunland and San Diego.
there are a lot of guys running SR's down here that do not even get pulled over or hassled. Its also not the CHP thats the issue down here. It happens to be county of Los Angeles sheriffs in City of Industry because they are contracted by the city to patrol it (they do not have their own police force) fact is two fold there. The city is just dead enough for the sheriffs to be bored and needing something to do i.e. hassle import hot rodders. The second thing is thanks to Rotara brakes who called up the sherriffs and told them they were testing brakes in their cul de sac in Industry the sherriffs came by and took a look at a SR equipped car. Then went back and instructed their officers about it. Why because Industry is pretty much ground zero in socal for SR powered cars. There are more SR shops and Performance shops in and around Industry i.e. San Gabriel valley than any other place in socal. Also San Diego P.D. has a hard on for street racers.
Move to the city of Los Angeles and the cops(outside of certain areas of the San Fernando valley aka Sunland , but you do not want to live there anyways its like way barrio and junk yard.) will not even bat a eye at you. In fact they will pull up next to you when your speeding and tell you to slow down and drive off. LAPD has better things to do than harrass cars unnesscarily.
I live in one of the coolest and very happening areas of the city, Los Feliz Village right next to Hollywood . Nice homes , Griffith Park, Hollywood hills, lots of places to eat in walking distance 3 grocery stores in walking distance , 2 major movie theaters , several night clubs etc....
If you don't live here don't comment about it!!!

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:19 AM   #10
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq
hahahhahhaha you speak very ignorantly about the southland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuo
Reading comprehension

sentinelguild.com/nzo/PFCDB/
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:57 AM   #11
kazuo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Tell that to all the people who post on here (and FA.. and just about any other enthusiast forum) about getting hassled by local PD/CHP for mods/motorswaps.

Ex: Explain to me what Alex Chang did to get pulled over by a cop, and then hassled for mods (and cited for them), when all he was doing was driving to/from a restaurant with friends.

He's not the only one, either.

Anyway, there are several threads here (and on other boards) regarding the random sniffers placed on certain streets in SoCal, as well as on some freeway on ramps.

Note they are RANDOM and more than likely NOT permanent.

It is a fact that SoCal people get more shit than people in NorCal for their modified cars, with the possible exception being people in Fremont.

There is a reason why; YOU guys have the shittier air quality (due to no Bay, and no fog.. thank God for Fog), YOU guys have denser population and thus more cars, so hence why they are stricter down there.

Please do not call people ignorant when clearly they have backing for their statements.

You haven't disproven anything I've said, only reinforced it.
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:08 AM   #12
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i wouldn't say denser population. SF is the second most dense city in the US, right after new york. it's just that there are MORE people. 17 million people in the LA metro (which does not include san diego metro), 7 million in the bay area. HALF of all californians live in the LA metro.
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:35 AM   #13
SauN
Zilvia Member

SauN is an unknown quantity at this point
i haven't had as bad as an experience as other people have, but still some worthwhile experiences to deem SDPD as assholes. I have been pulled over a couple times for random checks, and have been written up for a no front license plate multiple times. Don't ever come here, it's overpopulated, gas is expensive, and the weather is usually too damn perfect =P Stay where you are.
SauN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #14
mooboy
Zilvia Junkie

mooboy is making a name for him/her selfmooboy is making a name for him/her self
I'm sure gas ain't as expensive in socal as it is up here. :P
Old 11-18-2004, 01:44 PM   #15
Pepperoni
Zilvia Addict

Pepperoni is just really nicePepperoni is just really nicePepperoni is just really nicePepperoni is just really nicePepperoni is just really nicePepperoni is just really nicePepperoni is just really nicePepperoni is just really nicePepperoni is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Pepperoni
Gas prices suck here, but i have yet to see a smog check van or anything like that in the bay area. Doesn't mean there arent any, i just haven't seen them. I've gone through plenty of DUI van check stops though. Thats about it.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:27 PM   #16
bhop

bhop is an unknown quantity at this point
I've lived in L.A. for 9 years and have never seen one of these "smog check vans".
bhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #17
jjg25

jjg25 is a well-known jackass
Send a message via ICQ to jjg25 Send a message via AIM to jjg25
I love down in South Orange County and I've never gotten hassled unless I was doing something REALLY stupid, like 90 in a 45 or something. As for the smog van - i've seen one once, and it was targeting older-looking pieces of crap that looked like they were headed for mexico or something. It seems that most of the cop problems are up in industry, diamond bar, walnut - yeah up there.

As for keeping your AZ registration, DO IT! Keep it regged like in Flagstaff or Prescott, just so you can get away with basically having NO emissions control.

Just my 2c

James
jjg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:10 PM   #18
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
Quote:
hahahhahhaha you speak very ignorantly about the southland. dude get a clue there are not a lot of random smog testing vans rolling in socal in fact the only place those things have ever been seen is out at the street races in orange county and glen oaks boulevard in Sunland and San Diego.
there are a lot of guys running SR's down here that do not even get pulled over or hassled. Its also not the CHP thats the issue down here. It happens to be county of Los Angeles sheriffs in City of Industry because they are contracted by the city to patrol it (they do not have their own police force) fact is two fold there. The city is just dead enough for the sheriffs to be bored and needing something to do i.e. hassle import hot rodders. The second thing is thanks to Rotara brakes who called up the sherriffs and told them they were testing brakes in their cul de sac in Industry the sherriffs came by and took a look at a SR equipped car. Then went back and instructed their officers about it. Why because Industry is pretty much ground zero in socal for SR powered cars. There are more SR shops and Performance shops in and around Industry i.e. San Gabriel valley than any other place in socal. Also San Diego P.D. has a hard on for street racers.
Move to the city of Los Angeles and the cops(outside of certain areas of the San Fernando valley aka Sunland , but you do not want to live there anyways its like way barrio and junk yard.) will not even bat a eye at you. In fact they will pull up next to you when your speeding and tell you to slow down and drive off. LAPD has better things to do than harrass cars unnesscarily.
I live in one of the coolest and very happening areas of the city, Los Feliz Village right next to Hollywood . Nice homes , Griffith Park, Hollywood hills, lots of places to eat in walking distance 3 grocery stores in walking distance , 2 major movie theaters , several night clubs etc....
Oh shit, you're from Los Feliz? I went to Marshall High. good shit.
also, i've never even heard of random smog vans.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #19
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
nm

adfgsdfgsdfgsdfg
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:10 PM   #20
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
You only have to worry about your SR and those random vans if you are making major emissions tho dont you?

Ive never been hassled for having my modded car down in San Diego, keep it east county and you wont have much trouble with cops
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote