Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
EricDET
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
EricDET is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Insurance Settlement

My 95 S14 was totalled by another driver running a red light. Im subsequently dealing with the other drivers Insurance company for the claim. Its a redtop SR car. What kind of settlement payoffs have you guys gotten? What should I be expecting?
EricDET is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What ever bluebook is on a clean 95 240sx. I will tell you now swap out your sr and any parts you haave on the car.
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
I was involved in a hit and run with my 96 and got $3000 after paying $1000 for the deductible and the $800 fee for keeping the chassis. I didn't really push the insurance hard because I didn't want them to fuck me over on the rates. To be honest, I paid $3k for the car two weeks earlier so I felt like I was basically getting a free car for the cost of a fucked up quarter panel and a salvage title.

Basically, look for 5k+ and keeping the car to swap your shit over if you buy a new chassis - or to part out.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R

Last edited by chibo; 10-09-2009 at 03:27 PM..
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Persona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My buddy somehow got 10K after settling for insurance, he was not insured for any of his modifications i was sure he was going to get royally fu*ked when he asked for more/provided them with more info and examples. He got really lucky, his car was also though the cleanest 240 i have seen to date. Looked brand new.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Snce you are not dealing with your insurance company, then you probably have a little bit of liberty to play hard ball. I've seen numerous post where the OP would look for cars that are similiar to their own(yr, mileage, modifications, etc.), that are for sale and submit that to the insurance company, in order to get fair market value. Make sur to find as many as you can, probably witn a 100mi radius, and only submit the highest priced ones. Look on local forums, craiglist, eBay, etc. And make sure to organize them and make it a decent presentation so the insurance company sees you have done your research. Just don't give in to the first offer you get.

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyRat View Post
Snce you are not dealing with your insurance company, then you probably have a little bit of liberty to play hard ball. I've seen numerous post where the OP would look for cars that are similiar to their own(yr, mileage, modifications, etc.), that are for sale and submit that to the insurance company, in order to get fair market value. Make sur to find as many as you can, probably witn a 100mi radius, and only submit the highest priced ones. Look on local forums, craiglist, eBay, etc. And make sure to organize them and make it a decent presentation so the insurance company sees you have done your research. Just don't give in to the first offer you get.
Now thats a solid plan. Never thought of that
Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Find a bunch of equal condition S14's on craigslist or autotrader or whatever. Show them to them.

My insurance company low-balled me the first time when I wrote off my S14. I showed them a bunch of high priced cars for sale and they added more to their original offer.

EDIT: Just read DryRat's post. Haha.
JVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

Yes! Thats what happened with my buddy, the accident wasnt his fault. Thats the exact process he went through. Must have been why he came out on top so much.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
fastandlow
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
fastandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Insurance Consumer Advocate Network: "Make-Whole" Doctrine

read this its pretty good got it from another fourm
fastandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Dont forget you can also buy your car back for cheap and either sell or keep the parts.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
EricDET
Leaky Injector

Quote:
The man with a plan... Good advice I will definitely delve deep into this over the next couple days. If you guys spot any here or autotrader dont be afraid to link me or post up in here. Appreciate the help, and knowing at least somebody got paid... lol.

The preliminary total for just the car was 4200 dollars... but that wasnt taking the mods or engine into account. We'll see how it goes.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Who is the insurance claims member on Zilvia, I remember him discussing this before.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
Kid coupie
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
Kid coupie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Hell yeah if it wasn't your fault play a hard azz and dont take first offer do what they said...sucks to here that..
Kid coupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #14
dynamicck
Zilvia Junkie

dynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to behold
I just got my insurance check yesterday after dealing with insurance for 2 months. Total i got 8500.
I still got lowballed. PM if u need help.
dynamicck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
You got 8500 and you think thats a lowball. You got the higher end of the spectrum. How many miles did you have on your car and what are the mods?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicck View Post
I just got my insurance check yesterday after dealing with insurance for 2 months. Total i got 8500.
I still got lowballed. PM if u need help.
Yeah man how did you get lowballed?? Shit you got 8500, buy then car back for 800 then you have a whole car and engine to part out. Shit I wish that happen to me.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
EricDET
Leaky Injector

The Carnage...

Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
You got 8500 and you think thats a lowball. You got the higher end of the spectrum. How many miles did you have on your car and what are the mods?
I believe that he got lowballed. My POS S13 has almost twice that into it, and I'm not close to being done. If he had a stock S14, then yeah I'd say he did very well, but I highly doubt it was stock.

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
MADE
Zilvia Addict

I see it for what it is, not what I want it to be. Were not driving luxury cars. Where driving cars that are over 10 years old. Yes you should get payment for what you have on the car but they aren't going to give you full value for every part you installed. 8500 and buying it back I think that a good deal.

I have under 100,000 orginal miles on my S14 and I think its clean and nicely modded. If it was totalled today, I would hope I could get 8,500.

Rat good that you got paid but I don't think 8500 and above is normal. Hell If that was the case instead of selling might as well crash it. I known people to do this and Im not suggesting it.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
dynamicck
Zilvia Junkie

dynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to behold
This link helped me out

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/155652-insu...13-5500-a.html
dynamicck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #21
EricDET
Leaky Injector

I was officially offered $3300 dollars this morning... Which I rejected... The guy assured me it would be no better... No matter what paperwork or other cars selling for the same price I provided to him. How long did it take you guys before you started making headway?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #22
gtstwincam
Zilvia Member

gtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud ofgtstwincam has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to gtstwincam Send a message via Yahoo to gtstwincam
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicck View Post

Please post your story on the link that helped you out.

You got $8500????????? Id say that is a fair settlement. but thats MY opinion
gtstwincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #23
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Who is the insurance claims member on Zilvia, I remember him discussing this before.
So far gtstwincam and I are the only people I know who work in insurance.

First thing I'd say is to get a good attorney ASAP. You think it's an open and shut case, but a lot of times the opposing attorney will pull the rug from under you if you're not careful. They'll try to blame you and make you pay for everything. Protect yourself first.

Second thing is never speak about your accident until the deal is settled. You're not helping your case. You're giving the other party ammo by letting the cat out of the bag early.

Third thing is never ever declare the vehicle a "total loss" yourself. The total loss system is a gimmick invented by the insurance industry to limit their payout.

It gets complicated quickly, but in general don't be walking around saying that your car is totaled. You've just agreed to less money.

If a judge and jury heard you say that your own car is totaled, they have no choice but to give you less money.

Instead, say that your vehicle was damaged, causing a loss in the amount of $X (whatever amount you think is fair).

Using the correct terminology lets the other people know that you're not an idiot so they will try to mess with you less.

If you want to get into the whole discussion about total loss and make whole doctrine and all that, I'd be happy to. I'm just not sure if you wanted to.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote