Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
SR a little bit of trouble....need some advice

well, when i was pulling my manifold+turbo out as a whole to tighten some bolts the other day.....i had to remove the cas and when i re-installed it, my redtop was way off timing......so i had some freinds in the automotive/mechanics side off my school( VC Tech, im in hot rod fab) re-time the thing and it runs great, but when i start it now it has badddd valve tick and knocks a little bit....but the tick goes away after driving for about 2 minutes... it never did any of this b4 it went out of time....so does this mean it is still not timed correctly? need some suggestions/comments on what some of u guys that are more knowlegdeable ab this motor than me!!!! pls help fellas!!

_spenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
anyone?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
sdtouge
BANNED

sdtouge can only hope to improve
do they know what to time it to?

i beleive it should be 15* btdc
sdtouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

yeah, i think they got it right bc i gave them the timing section of the fsm.....im lost! the tick is killing me though, it makes me think my motor is f'd up
Old 12-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

i just checked my oil...its full, but a little dark so do you guys think that could be the problem?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
sdtouge
BANNED

try engine flush that stuff works great i hear

dude

also

try a oil change
if you think its timing then check timing, if you think its oil then check oil, it takes longer to post and wait for a reply then it does to just try to check timing or change oil and whatnot.

matt
Old 12-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

ok, i was out tonite, it was running fine, and i decided to floor it bc i havent drove it hard since all this happened, just to see what would happen, and it felt very quick, but the exhaust was popping as the revs increased like a back fire but very loud? what could this be? also forgot to mention my a/f ratio changed since we did all this timing stuff.....
Old 12-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

c'mon i know someone knows whats up, ive tried everything!! pls help!! advise me great knowledgeable ones
Old 12-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
sdtouge
BANNED

did you hook your o2 sensor back up?
why dont you pull codes or take it to a shop. there is only so much you can do over the internet with "when i floored it it started to back fire some"
Old 12-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #10
Loofee95SE
Zilvia Junkie

Loofee95SE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Loofee95SE
hmm Spence..sound like u may have a small vac leak some where..( about the back fire)..and the ticking noise go away after its warm right?? sound like the engine didn't have any oil when start up, how long was the engine down? maybe weak oil pump...maybe, C
Also: check the gap on the spark plugs, cos cold weather seems to have effect on performance of the turbo engine. u might need to close the gap a lil more. hope it help somehow.

Last edited by Loofee95SE; 12-08-2005 at 12:19 PM..
Loofee95SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:54 PM   #11
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

yeah, i sound like a complete noob w/ these posts...wait i am a noob....ha but i was just wondering if any of u had these experiences....

also, good to hear from u C, havent talked u in a while we need to get together...and the plugs are pre gapped, the motor was down for about 3 days
Old 12-08-2005, 01:03 PM   #12
Loofee95SE
Zilvia Junkie

Loofee95SE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Loofee95SE
how big was the pre gap?? most of the time it's around 1- 1.1 mm, u might want to bring it down to about .9mm, and if u run more boost than stock..u might need to consider a lil less, the heat range on it also have soem effect on it as well. to me that back fire seems like u may have got a lil of boost spike and it was blowing out sparks. again I maybe totally wrong so check the gap anyway. C