Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Western States

South Western States Arizona, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
BlueTheTien
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
BlueTheTien is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlueTheTien
Auto to Manual 1996 240sx

OK, I have a 1996 240sx. The auto trans is having problem, so I wanna just do a auto to manual trans. swap. How much do you guys think it's gonna cost for the parts and labor. also do you know is there any shop that does it in san jose area? I've been out of the drift scene for a while! haha trying to get back into it. Sucks with out SR tho!! miss my old car
BlueTheTien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
diomedes
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
diomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I found all my parts, most of them used and some new, for around $500. I would recommend you doing the swap yourself because the shops will charge you a lot just for labor.

There are tons of write up on the internet. Google it and you'll see all the results.
diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Check on NICO for a very complete list and write up. I replaced a lot of stuff as well as removed my engine from the car at the same time which made things easier. Do yourself a favor and track down a 5spd obdII 96 ecu so you won't have any driveabilty issues or cels. To do it right you will spend at least $1000 but that included front and rear main seals, head gasket, valve cover gasket, head deck/cleaning, front and rear tranny seals, wiring, heat shrink, butt connectors, etc etc etc. I went all out on mine because I hate ghetto rigging stuff. Here is another tip as well, use a braided steel clutch line from Vivid Racing in 52" length, it's $45 but works great. Hit me up if you have any questions.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
BlueTheTien
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the info. I don't really have a place to work on my car, and most of my friend don't have the tools to work on this kinda of job. So yeah, need a shop. The reason I asked is that I found a 96 S14 for 3G and it has an auto trans. The car's interior and exterior are awesome, but it has a bad trans. It doesn't go in reverse and makes noise going forward. I was just wondering if it's worth it to do a manual swap on it in a shop. I will just search for another S14 if it costs too much to do the swap
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
kcndizzle
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
kcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud ofkcndizzle has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
With the price a shop is going to charge you it probably isn't worth it considering you'll probably be 4-4.5k deep in the car by the end, and could have just found a 5-spd s14 for the same price-range. Or replace the tranny with another automatic, would take less time and less hassle.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
diomedes
Zilvia Addict

diomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to beholddiomedes is a splendid one to behold
Did you get the 96 s14 from San Leandro for 2.5K?

Yeah, I was thinking of getting that one too, but I was short on cash.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Friend of mine recently paid $500 in labor alone for a super clean job.

Get the parts yourself, take them down to a shop, and it should be at around $900-$1000 total including parts and labor.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
BlueTheTien
Zilvia Member

yup, that's the car! People from norcal. Name me some good shops!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
diomedes
Zilvia Addict

Have you thought about asking some guys on here, that are local to you, to see if they could help you with the swap?? Maybe you can buy food and beer and they could work on the swap. Along with your help of course.

I know I'm down for the 5 speed swap. I plan on doing my manual swap in January.

Just a thought. I would definitely ask around to find any help because I don't have money for shops. That's just me though, you can do it your way.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
^ should take his advice on seeking local members. food and beer seems to go a long way for 240 folk. hell, some might do it just for the hell of it because they just want to work on cars.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
^Second this.

Me and a few buddies did my 5-speed swap.

I provided the food, they provided the work.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
BlueTheTien
Zilvia Member

All I can say is that you have some good as friends! haha Most of my friends will just go eat the food and watch! haha