Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
supergoob
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
supergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR SR20 very weird/different clutch problem..PLEASE HELP!

Car: 92 240sx coupe
Engine: sr20det redtop

Alright, my clutch started slipping friday..no big deal. OEM clutch, dyno'd 248whp, so i expected a slip pretty soon. No biggy, so i bought a new clutch at the local clutch shop yesterday..clutch for a VG30, 6 puck that will hold 400hp/350ish tq relatively safely with a 2200 lb pressure plate. Sweet, so I go back to the garage, drop the tranny, install the clutch under these terms:

-Flywheel wasn't terrible. Wasn't perfect, but not terrible.
-Used an OEM SR throwout bearing
-Compared the stock pressure plate to the new one and they look the same

So we install, put the tranny back in, and give it a whirl. I start the car and put it in gear and let out on the clutch. Moves very little in 1st and reverse. So we bleed the hydraulic line. Nothing. We bleed it again. Nothing. Adjust the pedal all the way in. Nothing. Adjust the pedal all the way out. Nothing but a more solid clutch feel.

The pedal is quite stiff, so that means the shift fork is correct and the throwout bearing is making contact with the pressure plate. The Car moved once (clutch engaged like it was out of adjustment) so the splines on the clutch/tranny are all lined up. Transmission went in like butter, no binds or forcing or anything.

My only thoughts are:
My stock slave doesnt have enough "push" or "reach" i guess you could say. The VG30 pressure plate may need to be pushed in more than the stock SR, so I need to use a 300zx slave cylinder.

Or I need to run a 300zx Throwout bearing, but will it match up to the sr tranny? I dont think this is it because I have pedal and the TOB is definately making contact.

I've see lots of guys use vg30 clutches on their sr's, and a few guys around nashville use this exact same clutch. ANY input or help would be appreciated!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Ive used a Z32 TOB on my SR on my ACT Clutch. Its bigger but not sure if its thicker than the stock SR.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Burglervr6
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Burglervr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just curious why you used a VG clutch?? and didn't just get the correct clutch??
Burglervr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
supergoob
Leaky Injector

supergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enoughsupergoob will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglervr6 View Post
Just curious why you used a VG clutch?? and didn't just get the correct clutch??
Hundreds of guys use em. Much more readily available.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
apexi240sx
Zilvia Member

apexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choicesapexi240sx has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to apexi240sx
yea its the maximA.. CLUTCH! i run it wit sr tob and pilot... works fine... but slips sometimes when i let her have it..
apexi240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
supergoob
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexi240sx View Post
yea its the maximA.. CLUTCH! i run it wit sr tob and pilot... works fine... but slips sometimes when i let her have it..
yeah the maxima ones are kinda known to do that with anything over stock power. mine has a 2200lb pressure plate and 6 puck disc...shouldnt slip a bit if the mofo will work...i still cant get this piece to work!!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:28 AM   #7
drftem
Zilvia Addict

drftem is a jewel in the roughdrftem is a jewel in the roughdrftem is a jewel in the roughdrftem is a jewel in the roughdrftem is a jewel in the roughdrftem is a jewel in the roughdrftem is a jewel in the roughdrftem is a jewel in the rough
get under the car and have someone push down on the clutch pedal and make sure the slave cylinder is pushing the clutch fork enough. if not you might need to get rid of the damper box if you still have it.