Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
DriftSpecial180
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura aboutDriftSpecial180 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many use manual steering?

Who ditches the Power Steering when they swap motors?? I'm thinking about leaving it behind but i could use some input on what you guys think. Thanks...
DriftSpecial180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
a friend of mine owns an 89 240sx with an sr20det... he never set up the power steering and has been driving it like that for about a year. at highspeeds its not too hard to turn the wheel but once u get to slow moving sections like parallel parking etc its a bitch to turn... but overall a very different feeling.

ur arms will be sore for the first week or two

dunno if that helps.. jus putting in my thoughts
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Kyo Kusanagi
Zilvia Junkie

Kyo Kusanagi is a well-known jackass
Send a message via AIM to Kyo Kusanagi
if your going to be drifting, i think your going to be needing it. Some people took it out and was able to drift with it also. I like my PS its a life saver.
Kyo Kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
Sil Beer S13
Zilvia FREAK!

Sil Beer S13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sil Beer S13
Power steering is god.
Sil Beer S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
BSeay
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

BSeay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BSeay
i dont understand why people like getting rid of it? i mean who the fuck wants to strong arm the steering wheel to make slow speed turns?

My friend has a CRX w/o PS and i hate driving that beast....

Power Steering owns!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
BoroBoroS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
BoroBoroS13 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your going to want PS if you touge or dori. I didnt have it for half a year and after a good long touge run my arms hurt like hell.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
MikeFD3S
Zilvia Member

MikeFD3S is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MikeFD3S
You need power steering. Don't get rid of it. If you are even slightly interested in drifting or doing other types of aggressive driving you will need it. I wrecked my '89 coupe because the stupid thing had the power steering belt removed and was running 'pseudo manual'

without PS its much harder to turn the wheel to make corrections that require a bit of steering.

Also, if you are adding positive caster by using aftermarket TC rods, steering becomes more difficult. Positive caster is good for drifting-- negative camber angle increases as the steering angle increases.

Best thing you can do is to reinforce your power steering system so it doesnt boil over. I dont know anyone who makes PS coolers, but you def. can modify the pump and system to run better.
'90 240SX Hatch

'89 240SX Coupe [dead]
'91 Geo Storm [dead]
'86 FC3S GXL [gone]
MikeFD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
s134
Zilvia Addict

s134 is a well-known jackass
you guys are weak, literally, w/o power steering you get much more feel of the road, MUCH more. and yea i would want p/s removed if i was doing touge or mountain driving, it's not that hard
Old 04-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
MikeFD3S
Zilvia Member

MikeFD3S is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MikeFD3S
dude you are out of your mind. You only want to to run MS when you are learning how to drive, so you can get a feel for your car and how it handles. For any kind of advanced driving you need power steering.

Are you really running without PS? Every try turning lock to lock on a manual rack while only having a short amount of time to do so? It's not a matter of being some sort of macho cowboy rockstar with buff pirate arms. Power steering is there for a reason, it helps the car. Taking it out is making the car less advanced, less competitive.
'90 240SX Hatch

'89 240SX Coupe [dead]
'91 Geo Storm [dead]
'86 FC3S GXL [gone]
MikeFD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
Tygma
Zilvia Addict

Tygma is making a name for him/her selfTygma is making a name for him/her self
What? Out of his mind? Hahah... I run manual steering and i love it.. p/s feels so vague. Hard to turn...?? be a man! Its not that hard, seriously. I do grip in the hills often, but sometimes go drift = ).
Quote:
Power steering is there for a reason, it helps the car.
No, it helps drivers be sissy = )

Hahaha.. but no seriously.. i just prefer it over p/s.
Tygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
I think the best compromise is power steering WITH good feedback. When I say feedback I mean the feeling of resistance while turning the wheel. Cars the a Toyota Camry have virtually no feel, but a 240sx has a decent amount of feedback, perfect to my taste. I hear BMW's also have a nice weighted feel.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #12
s134
Zilvia Addict

my points exactly, i have a 1980 volvo 240 without p/s (3400lbs) and one big ass steering wheel.. it's not that hard @ all, the only car i don't have p/s on is my 97 neon ACR it weighs 2100 and is much more fun with out it... i would remove my p/s on my ka24de but you can't ..
Old 04-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #13
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
Why would I have 399hp in the r26, when with out ps I could have 400hp. That why I did it. Shit man, thats the equivalent to three weedwackers!

(26 sold , I feel like imabout to puke.)
TheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:32 AM   #14
Ricer240sx
Zilvia Addict

Ricer240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ricer240sx Send a message via MSN to Ricer240sx Send a message via Yahoo to Ricer240sx
i touge and dori and i dont want it!! didnt have it in my old fastback, dont have it in my FC (came with manual) and eventualy it will be gone in teh new fastback with a custom quick angle steering rack!!

Manual steering is so much better than power casue u get a better feel for it! sure u gotta strong arm it, but thats only when ur sub 5mph!

and lock to lock didnt ever come up! if u have to go all the way to lock to initiate the drift, ur doing something wrong!
Old 04-09-2005, 03:03 AM   #15
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
Best thing you can do is to reinforce your power steering system so it doesnt boil over. I dont know anyone who makes PS coolers, but you def. can modify the pump and system to run better.
A few companies make "PS coolers", but you could use practically any cooler. I run a fluidyne; works very nice.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:06 AM   #16
DaN_S13
Leaky Injector

DaN_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
i love drifting w/o power steering, you get a lot better feel! It doesnt take a lot of effort either cause the car does all the countersteering for you. I drove my car like that for about a year and after a while you just get used to it. ill be pulling it out of my next car too
DaN_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #17
Rennen
Zilvia Addict

Rennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by s134
you guys are weak, literally,

seriously.... I can park the car with one hand. At autocross I can actually feel when the front tires are slipping, its great! I think I'll take the PS out of the new car too.

I think some of you need to get a better seating position... or grow a pair

'89 Nissan 240SX fastback: #23 DSP/RallyMod2/Track Slut
'95 BMW 540i 6 speed: Ultimate Commuting Machine

PFM Racing
www.solo2.org
www.midwest240sx.com
Rennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:42 AM   #18
mooboy
Zilvia Junkie

mooboy is making a name for him/her selfmooboy is making a name for him/her self
I ran without power steering for a long time, and I disagree. It's very hard to make quick changes in turning direction without power steering. Really has nothing to do with macho man bullshit.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #19
s134
Zilvia Addict

not macho man, just not weakass
Old 04-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #20
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
I would do it if I knew how to, right now its ziptied on my fenderwall waiting for an sr pully or whatever is needed, I love when Iget out of the 24o and into the mustang or whatever other car im in, it turns like butter after that arm workout.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:50 PM   #21
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to aa87
I unfortunately do not have powersteering due to a bad pump, but you get a nicer feel of the road, i want it back though!
aa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:37 PM   #22
pruto
Zilvia Addict

pruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to allpruto is a name known to all
sooo... how do you take it out? =) i wanna try

i hear you can't completely take it out, only make it semi-manual unless you change parts of the steering rack?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #23
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
i wonder why race cars use power steering. oh thats right, cause it helps the driver and cause knowing the front tires are slipping doesn't require manual steering. driving without power steering willingly in 2005 is stupid, advocating it is dumber, especially since you are the same guys that brag about how turboes are so efficient over SC's or how much better a 4cyl is than V8. its like you pick and choose what you want because you feel its COOL not what makes it a better CAR.

and that, ladies and gents, is what i call rice.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:45 AM   #24
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
well there was a reason they introduced powersteering. steering a 4000 lbs car on low speeds is bitch for most people. what if ur racing? what if ur drifting?? its stupid not to use the tech available to u
Old 04-24-2005, 12:02 PM   #25
sub9lulu
Zilvia Junkie

sub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-knownsub9lulu is making his/her stupidity well-known
but if u gut the car to 2000lb then PS is not really that much
my FC turbo feels just fine without it
sub9lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #26
SilviaSativa
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
SilviaSativa is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Man there are a lot of pussies posting in this thread, especially this makiti guy! Rice...lol!
Early 90's MR2s came standard with manual steering, I don't even know if it was an option. It's there for driver assist and thats about it.

I have no problems whatsoever with no power steering after 6+ months without. It's become so natural driving around town that parking and numerous street corners/maneuvers could be done single handily, though it's bad driving etiquette. And I'm a scrawny guy weighing in close to 120lbs!

I've competed in two autoX events so far this season, and the car feels great, especially the slaloms!
We'll see how it goes later this summer on the somewhat local 1.8mile road course.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:48 PM   #27
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I just realized that it must be really cool to spell someone's name incorrectly every time you say something about them, it almostv makes THEM look like the jackass

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #28
Tygma
Zilvia Addict

Tygma is making a name for him/her selfTygma is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
i wonder why race cars use power steering. oh thats right, cause it helps the driver and cause knowing the front tires are slipping doesn't require manual steering. driving without power steering willingly in 2005 is stupid, advocating it is dumber, especially since you are the same guys that brag about how turboes are so efficient over SC's or how much better a 4cyl is than V8. its like you pick and choose what you want because you feel its COOL not what makes it a better CAR.

and that, ladies and gents, is what i call rice.
Driving without power steering willingly is my choice, advocating it is my choice. Its not stupid. It's all about personal preference, not about you coming into a thread and trying to seem all knowledgable again.

Personally I like tuned 4cyls better than V8s. Personal preference.

"its like you pick and choose what you want because you feel its COOL not what makes it a better CAR."

Well then, Makoto, why do you drive the car you drive? Clearly it's not for any reason you speak of in your quote.. I mean...

Why spend all that money on it if its only a lowly 4cyl? Do what's better for the car, RIGHT? Uh oh... I think your silver paint job MAY make you feel cool, i think 5 lug conversion MAY make you feel cool.. but as far as i can see.. it's not BETTER for the car. Why didn't you take all the money you saved and buy a "better" car, Mr. Cool. So you, are the infamous "RICE" that you speak of.
Tygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:13 PM   #29
reefer1114
Zilvia Addict

reefer1114 is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend has no ps in his ITB 86 and that guy drifts like a pro.
reefer1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #30
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
I only read 3/4 of this thread, but I decided to put in my experience. I got my 240 already swapped and without power steering. When I first started driving the car it was a little difficult for a while to get used to. It isn't that it is actually that difficult to turn the wheel imo, it is more like a matter of getting used to turning the wheel harder then you normally do. And I say this without any tough-man cowboy ego or whatever some people were saying because I'm about 5'8" and weigh just under 130lbs, so you know I can't be that strong...

My thoughts...
BlazedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote