Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #1
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
fuse box relocation

so i'm in the middle of a fuse box relocation in my s13, i cut the harness to shorten it to find out that there are same wires with the same colors?!

what do i do in this situation..?!

in the pics you can see some of the ones that are the same color.. there are alot of pink.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2015, 01:34 AM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you should have marked them before just cutting things.

now your best option is to either buy a complete new harness, and do it the right way next time, or borrow a new harness, and trace it from end to end, and then compare to your cut up one.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:38 AM   #3
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
god damnit, i need to look up the wiring diagram in the FSM and see if i'm even using any of these wires, i'm sure i am though, theres quite a bit of the same color wire, which makes no god damn sense to me..
Old 02-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
lol, yes you should have marked them with tape... Lol
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
I'll give you a tip.

Some of them, for example: if there are a lot of black ones that are same gauge size, the will have black with strip, blk with one dot, blk with two dot, blk with solid line.

This might help you figure out which ones go where.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Dboy I tried looking for different patterns but the wires are literally identical lol
Old 02-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

My sides are in orbit.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
Zenki Kat

Zenki Kat is an unknown quantity at this point
My goodness... haha
Old 02-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I often us a power probe an see what turns on!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
SMH... Live and learn I guess. A lot of the same colored wires are used for the same circuits. I.E. Headlights, turn signals, side markers, etc. It's always best to deloom the harness and mark one wire at a time. Good thing there are plenty of S13's being parted.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Pretty impressive stuff, I've seen some pretty dumb stuff but this takes the cake. Well done!
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Step 1 = Remove harness from the car

Step 2 = Take harness and find the closest mirror

Step 3 = Look at yourself while holding harness with dominant hand

Step 4 = Yell "STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, ETC" as you hit yourself with your now hacked and worthless harness.

Step 5 = Throw harness away

Step 6 = Buy new harness and leave it alone
Old 02-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyS15 View Post
Step 1 = Remove harness from the car

Step 2 = Take harness and find the closest mirror

Step 3 = Look at yourself while holding harness with dominant hand

Step 4 = Yell "STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, ETC" as you hit yourself with your now hacked and worthless harness.

Step 5 = Throw harness away

Step 6 = Buy new harness and leave it alone
LMAO! Hahaha

Funny, but the truth.
We have all made mistakes in life, let this be of a learning experience to OP.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Oh lord! Why did you cut it? The relay/fuse boxes will fit through the body with some disassembly and force. Good luck with that
Old 02-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In all seriousness, buy yourself a test light and volt meter.

Finish the rest of the wires and leave the same color ones on their own.
Once done, go back to the same color wires and provide power to the fuse box and then, if you have clips, perfect, I have some with fuses in them. If not, just connect them and see what they turn on. Of course, this is after checking the diagram to make sure they dont go to the ecu. Usually same color wires go to the same circuit as jr ss stated. Usually you can get away with wiring them up anyhow, and they still will work the same (normally, not always).

Thats what I would do. But do, next time, label the wires.

PM me and I can help you figure out where they go if you still need help.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
Options13
Nissanaholic!

well the thing is the harness needed to be cut regardless.. it's being relocated to inside, so it had to be shortened up quite a bit... out of all the DIY fuse box relocation threads it said nothing about same color wires in the harness..

anyway, i had a close look at the wires.. you can distinguish the difference in the by the number of dots, and the boldness of the line. All wires are accounted for except all the pink and orange wires, which i believe are to the headlights and turn signals.

At this point its a test and try. what ever doesn't work i'll just hardwire in.

also do you guys know what plugs these are?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Yeah I'm relocating mine to hatch unless I can fit it all under my dash. I don't want to cut mine. That white plug In the bottom pic should be wiper motor but I would test fit the plug
Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
nolandavid
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
nolandavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to nolandavid
Lol I feel for this guy. I've done some dumb stuff to but people got to learn the hard way.
nolandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #19
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
usually, when you find a large number of wires that are all the same color, they're either supply power, or ground. grounds are usually black on nissan. i would still recommend tracing all of those from end to end, but i'd be willing to bet that they just supply 12v to whatever is at the other end.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:26 AM   #20
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Should have unwrapped the harness a bit prior to just cutting it in half. I'd suggest buying a new harness since you 99.9% have no chance of figuring out what goes where.

Live and learn.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #21
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Jeez! There is no need for a new harness and no need to turn on power. Buy a multimeter, learn how to read and understand the wiring diagram, and trace your wires to the closest connectors. Any half-decent electrician can have those remaining unmarked wires labeled in a matter of minutes. Without ever even opening the wire harness.

I recommend using heat-shrinkable butt splices. If you're going the cheap route and using solder with electrical tape/heat shrink, the least you can do is stagger the splices. After a little bit of vibration, those lumpy solder joints and protruding wires will poke right through the electrical tape/heat-shrink. Staggering the splices will keep improperly insulated splices from contacting each other. Tracking down a short located in a whole bundle of adjacent splices would be an absolute nightmare.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #22
s14SRguy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
s14SRguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post
Jeez! There is no need for a new harness and no need to turn on power. Buy a multimeter, learn how to read and understand the wiring diagram, and trace your wires to the closest connectors. Any half-decent electrician can have those remaining unmarked wires labeled in a matter of minutes. Without ever even opening the wire harness.

I recommend using heat-shrinkable butt splices. If you're going the cheap route and using solder with electrical tape/heat shrink, the least you can do is stagger the splices. After a little bit of vibration, those lumpy solder joints and protruding wires will poke right through the electrical tape/heat-shrink. Staggering the splices will keep improperly insulated splices from contacting each other. Tracking down a short located in a whole bundle of adjacent splices would be an absolute nightmare.
THIS^^^
s14SRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #23
Options13
Nissanaholic!

^^^ thank you, everyone on here is quick to jump to conclusions, ALL WIRES ARE ACCOUNTED FOR EXCEPT.

4 pink wires (exact same)
3 orange wires (exact same)
2 cyan/black strip (exact same)
2 green/yellow strip (exact)
2 green/blue strip (exact)

half of zilvia is useless, thanks to those who actually helped.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #24
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
half of zilvia is useless, thanks to those who actually helped.
We know which half you're in.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #25
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeiler View Post

I thought solder was preferred over butt joints?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #26
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^It's all personal preference. Each has its positives and negatives. I prefer the solder route. Carefully mash down any sharp points with a needle nose pliers and use 2 heat shrink sleeves if you're worried about it. Staggering the connections is also a good idea so you don't end up with a giant lump in your harness when all is said and done.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #27
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
I thought solder was preferred over butt joints?
There is a difference in butt splices...
Standard crimp splices are shit.
Hear shrink solder butt connectors are awesome. I don't remember exactly but it's like
Crimp wires
Heat connector (the ends seal to the wire)
Solder ball in the middle melts and fuses the two wires internally

I still feel solder and standard heat shrink is superior as it is less bulky, get a few of those connectors stacked in a loom and it gets thick quick. Although same could be said for those who blob solder
Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #28
crewchief05
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
crewchief05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
that sucks! should have marked as said. hard lesson there!
crewchief05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #29
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Try this to help ID the harness connectors:
http://www.wiringspecialties.com/sr20det.html

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/ka24de2.html
Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #30
TurboTiger
Leaky Injector

TurboTiger is an unknown quantity at this point
That photo makes my head hurt. Wiring has got to be one of my least favorite issues to deal with. Glad to see there is some sound advice in this thread. Good luck OP!
TurboTiger is offline   Reply With Quote